K&N Air Filters

This is a scientific test done with precise measurement. I didn't realize it looks like I'm referring to that backyard test. I'm actually referring to this:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

sorry about that.

And yes, the AC delco I WILL get will filter better than anything it was compared to in the above test.
Plus, it will give the engine all the air it can actually use.

I read the info on the link, and looked at the charts. I would agree that a K&N filter is a terrible idea for someone who say lives on a gravel road or frequents gravel roads and keeps a dirty engine bay. K&N is an oiled filter, so naturally it will attract more dirt and dust. A dirty engine bay and gravel/dirt roads would only make things worse. Fortunately for me, I keep my engine bay immaculate, free of any dust/dirt/grease buildup whatsoever, and don't go on any gravel roads with my CX-9 about 99.9% of the time. In addition, I am familiar with the proper cleaning procedure for the filter and recognize the harm in over-oiling the filter.

An oiled engine air filter is NOT a one-size-fits-all filter by any means and should not be expected to perform well in all situations.

Not sure how many pages this thread will go to, but this topic is on every motorist enthusiast website on the internet and has plenty of info on both sides.

The best way to approach it is: If you like em', great, if you don't, great. Who cares.

Your missing the picture here. It does not matter if your engine is clean and you don't drive on dirt roads. Regardless, there are micro particles in the air. Once the oil is contaminated with larger dirt particles, that part of the filter is useless or clogged. That oil/dirt can stay in the filter like I said and clog it, or it falls into the air box. Once it falls into the air box, you have gapping holes in the material due to no oil being suspended in the gauze. That lets in all the micro-particles into your motor. So, although your motor is Immaculate on the outside and you have a pretty little red filter on the intake, you're slowly causing your motor to wear more than it needs. I am telling you now that these filters are death for engines and MAS's. If I still had it, I would show you that a truck fleet decided to use K&N, thinking it would save them money. It actually cost them more, not in filters but in engine problems and MAS problems. They did several oil analysis over a year period and found very high amounts of silicone, and metals showing high amounts of dirt and wear going on. They concluded it was the K&N air filters. Since then they removed them all and have gone back to OEM paper filters. They still test the oil and have concluded normal levels of the above. My point is that these filters are not capable of filtering like an OEM filter. Even if you think you live in a dust free environment K&N will still get whatever dust there is, into your engine.
The OEM filter will perform well in all situations. Dirty engine bay to immaculate engine bay (LOL).
The only reason you mentioned if you like em great and you don't, great, who cares is due to the fact that you have one and you believe in it. You can like it but liking it does not filter the micro particles. I am sorry but I do care. I rather be educated on a product rather than just liking it cause it has a great marketing dept.
The engineers at mazda spend millions on R&D and to this day I still don't see K&N being the filter of choice for OEM. Although you have to purchase filters regularly you can be assured your internals are clean. Thats not the case with K&N and it has been proven at least 2-3 times in SAE tests or ISO tests by scientists in several different environments including immaculate engine environments.
Stick with OEM if you want your engine to last. You don't care, throw in a K&N, hell might as well not even have one at all...

You-cant-handle-the-truth.jpg

6a00d83451cc6169e2010536b18498970c-800wi

Back