K (Kork?) Sport Coilovers

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Hi! Now that I am situated for the next 12 months, I am looking into coil overs. I recently just re-ordered the Hotchkiss brackets that should be here ~ mid September. Apparently they are ordered from the manufacturer, at least the 1 1/16" size. Back on topic, I reently saw these on ebay; https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned). They look quality, are specifically for AWD, and have a higher front spring rate compared to the BC. They also have camber plates (front I'm guessing). They have adjustable lower mounts as well, which means you can go lower without sacrificing dampening. What are your guys opinions on this? They seem like a quality piece, but I have never purchased coil overs before, and as much as I want to support Font (as he supports our forum) I'm not necesarrily interested in the "plain jane" model that seems to be the BC.
Also considering 10-15mm spacers (longer stud type), as I don't plan on buying new wheels anytime soon.

Make: Mazda
Model: CX-5 AWD
Years: 2013-Current
Series: Kontrol Pro
Front: 8.7K Spring Rate/Rubber Top Mount
Rear: 6.3K Spring Rate/Must reuse your OEM top mount
features_kontrolpro.jpg
$_12.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think I have any experience with Ksport or BC, but maybe I have and didn't realize it. I've installed, driven, and serviced probably 15 or more sets of coil overs, some were name brand, some were ebay specials. I can attest that name brand ones rode much better and had an easier setup than the ebay ones. I would imagine you would go even lower with a coil-over setup than your current, so your rear camber will be even more of a problem, unless you don't mind replacing tires every 20-25k miles or less. No rear camber adjustment is my bottleneck from lowering right now. I say you get this kit and give the forum your honest assessment on them [emoji38] (thumb). As far as 10-15mm spacers, are your TSW's not flush enough? Are they 20x8.5 with 40mm offset? (popcorn)

Yes, but I'm worried about if I go lower. It will probably be fine.

Yes, but I'm worried about if I go lower. It will probably be fine.

Im not sure what you're referring to here? Are you saying you would or would not go lower than current with coilovers? I mean, if I had the ability to lower flush with top of wheel opening (and coilovers grant you that) I personally would. And if you do go lower, camber gets even more negative.

KSport Kontrol Pro in a friend's '08 xB blew out three times with just daily driving. Granted KSport's customer service is decent and replaced all three, I wouldn't waste my money on them. The shock dynos on the lower end models are either non-existent or inconsistent. Same applies to even Stance (PowerTrix), BC, and other low end brand/models. All have documented problems that can be dug up by quick Google searches. Now I can't say the same for KSport and Stance's higher end models, because those seem to be much better than their basics.

KSport Kontrol Pro in a friend's '08 xB blew out three times with just daily driving. Granted KSport's customer service is decent and replaced all three, I wouldn't waste my money on them. The shock dynos on the lower end models are either non-existent or inconsistent. Same applies to even Stance (PowerTrix), BC, and other low end brand/models. All have documented problems that can be dug up by quick Google searches. Now I can't say the same for KSport and Stance's higher end models, because those seem to be much better than their basics.
Thanks I'll do some more digging. There are not many offerings that are said t fit the CX-5 so selection ins limited ($2000+ jdm sets out of the question).

These tein that Maz has seem good, http://www.nengun.com/tein/street-advance-damper, (they went down in price too) however, they don't have camber plates.. which means an alignment will probably cost more to perform :/

Teins are badass! Especially with the in cockpit electronic dampener controller. Maz has a very nice (and $) setup. For the front, built in camber plates are not needed, as an aftermarket kit, or smaller strut-to-hub spindle bolts, are available from Amazon for $16 per side
6aze7aju.jpg
It's a generic alignment bolt, but it should work with all mcpherson struts.

Teins are badass! Especially with the in cockpit electronic dampener controller. Maz has a very nice (and $) setup. For the front, built in camber plates are not needed, as an aftermarket kit, or smaller strut-to-hub spindle bolts, are available from Amazon for $16 per side
6aze7aju.jpg
It's a generic alignment bolt, but it should work with all mcpherson struts.
Yea, that price is awesme, $1200 for the coils +the damper control and motor

That price is great, but how much to ship?

Asked about shipping, still waiting. As far as camber bolts for the fronts, are you talking about something like these? http://www.spcalignment.com/compone...l=CX-5&year=2013 - 2014&from=USAFrom&to=USATo Those were listed as compatible by the SPC website. http://spcalignment.com/application-guide Also sent them a question about adjustable camber arms.

Also, to verify 28-2A0 is the part in question correct? it's labeled in the mazda documents as " Arm, Upper - Rear. I am starting to get more experience in suspension but have not done much besides changing the sway bar and lowering the rear subframe a few times.

3B57021_1000.gif

The circled part
oKNYE8J.jpg

Last edited:
Asked about shipping, still waiting. As far as camber bolts for the fronts, are you talking about something like these?
That's it. I have used a lot of this brand's products with good results. TBH though, any hardened strong (grade 8 or greater) smaller bolt can be used. The eccentric in the center is not really needed, as long as the bolt is tightened with an impact wrench once the camber angle is achieved.
Also, to verify 28-2A0 is the part in question correct? it's labeled in the mazda documents as " Arm, Upper - Rear. I am starting to get more experience in suspension but have not done much besides changing the sway bar and lowering the rear subframe a few times.
That is the rear arm in question.

SPC won't offer camber kits for our car. I have tried already, twice. I have tried Megan Racing too, same story.
Kevin from K-Mac offered to make adjustable lateral links for $380 a pair + $70 Fedex shipping. It's to much for me.
Adjustable bushings won't work, because there is no bushing in the lateral link, that can be pushed out and replaced with adjustable one. The rubber is molded into the lateral link's "tube".
I'm thinking about making my own adjustable links, using the original Mazda part. ~$43 shipped/each.

SPC won't offer camber kits for our car. I have tried already, twice. I have tried Megan Racing too, same story.
Kevin from K-Mac offered to make adjustable lateral links for $380 a pair + $70 Fedex shipping. It's to much for me.
Adjustable bushings won't work, because there is no bushing in the lateral link, that can be pushed out and replaced with adjustable one. The rubber is molded into the lateral link's "tube".
I'm thinking about making my own adjustable links, using the original Mazda part. ~$43 shipped/each.
spc told me they would forward to r & d but basically they need demand.

So, the price basically goes up about $400 after shipping, creditcard/paypal/direct deposit fee (japan)

So, the price basically goes up about $400 after shipping, creditcard/paypal/direct deposit fee (japan)

Well, if it was me, I would rather pay $1600 on a good quality name brand instead of $1400 on (huh). No brainer for me. Keep me posted on it, I might be right behind on if I can find a bank to rob (five-0)

Well, if it was me, I would rather pay $1600 on a good quality name brand instead of $1400 on (huh). No brainer for me. Keep me posted on it, I might be right behind on if I can find a bank to rob (five-0)
Well, from what I've been able to gather K-sport's not a no name brand, and the camber plate is a big +. I'm not sure though, I may just wait for camber arms. I may be better off using that kind of money for a trade up to the 2.5 or if it doesn't take a long time the diesel. decisions

I had Tein Coilovers on a 98 Honda Accord and regular Teins in a 06 Scion TC and wasn't impressed, the ride was a soft (6/10) imho and slightly better than stock, Eibach's static Pro Kit had a much better and more controlled ride. I haven't tried the Tein EDC and it could be a game changer. Unfortunately I can't lower my CX5 right now since I am dropping/tucking my static d21, and I need daily driver for wife and kids. You got a 2.0 so personally I would wait for the diesel torque monster and swap everything over.

I had Tein Coilovers on a 98 Honda Accord and regular Teins in a 06 Scion TC and wasn't impressed, the ride was a soft (6/10) imho and slightly better than stock, Eibach's static Pro Kit had a much better and more controlled ride. I haven't tried the Tein EDC and it could be a game changer. Unfortunately I can't lower my CX5 right now since I am dropping/tucking my static d21, and I need daily driver for wife and kids. You got a 2.0 so personally I would wait for the diesel torque monster and swap everything over.
Well at this point I can't even consider coilovers until I get endlinks sorted, and preferably camber arms. The oem rear links are nott suitable for dropped rides at coil over level. They are barely suitable for h&r. Thanks for the feedback though.

Back