Just wanted to pass along my tire history

I bought my 2007 cx-7 in june 2006 and it came with the lousy turanzas that were pretty shot by 20-25k, but I stuck with them until like 35K.

I replaced them with pirelli scorpion zero tires and I'm at about 79,500 miles on my car and the tires are still running strong. 2 of them are showing more wear that the other 2, but still have some life in them. So, that is about of 45K on my tires. I will say they have done an admirable job, I'm in Boston & they did great in the snow for the last 2 winters. My only problem is road noise, once they got like 25K on them it started getting a bit loud but hasn't gone up too much since.

I could get more life out of them but worried about snow grip this winter, so I just bought 4 Yokohama Parada Spec-X on tire rack. I'm having them delivered to the mazda dealer and they will install.

The only reason I did not go with the pirelli's again which treated me great was the price. The pirelli's are $182 and the yokohamas are $139. I hope I did the right thing.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

I'm at 99, 400 miles now and the Yokohama Parada Spec-X are REALLY loud (at highway speed). I started noticing road noise at about 93-94K. Otherwise, they have done well these 2 past winters in New England.

I've got about 40K on a set of Continental CrossContact UHP, in 255/55/18. They're great tires, and other than the fact that I skipped a couple of rotations, they wear very nicely.

I'm looking at either another set of the Contis or going with General Grabber UHPs.

Turns out the loud noise is not the tires but bad rear wheel bearings, the mazda dealer quoted me $705 to replace while I was there getting an oil change. I called the guy back (it's been about 3 weeks) and he quoted me $958! I'm going to another mazda dealer tomorrow morning to get another estimate. My dad said we can replace it ourselves, they are 200 bucks each at the parts dept. @ mazda so $400 bucks. Any special tools needed?

Back