Just tuned with AccessPORT (Phoenix)

joelgas

:
2009 Mazdaspeed3
I was lucky enough to find a local guy selling a few month old AP from his MS3 that he traded in for an STI. Paid 375 bucks! After reading the stories, I made sure to plug it in and verify it was unmarried before handing over the cash of course.

Installed the Stage1+MSCAI2 91 Octane v107 map on my ECU. Running the MSCAI, MSCBE, and PG TIP.

Drove the car around the streets for a good 1.5 days before laying into the throttle. Results are unbelievable in my opinion! 1-2 gears pull like there is no tomorrow. Turbo appears to kick in at a lower RPM and there is a notable increase in hp and tq. After installing the MSCBE several months ago, I experienced a decrease in tq with lower gears and RPM's. Now there is a remarkable difference in pull in 5-6 gears.

I have done a little monitoring with the Boost and the live AP data read hits of 19.9 and 20.2 on the boost. Does this seem normal with my setup? Have read that the AP can read higher that actual but I was surprised by these numbers.

May consider doing a custom map at a local tuner around Phoenix. Anyone have any recommendations for tuners in Arizona?

Congrats. Yeah I heard from owners who owned CAI & SRI that with a SRI you'll get a faster throttle response at low rpms and with a CAI more power on top. I'm Stage 1 and also spiked 19 & 20psi of boost. Although I haven't seen it spike that high anymore it should be fine as long as you see boost tampering down from there as rpm raises. What I do, I don't stomp on the accelerator pedal (that will give you a high boost spike). Instead start let's say 3k rpm and softly press on the gas until WOT. Like around 3600 - 3700 before 4k you should be at WOT. That helps me with high boost spike, at least for now until a pro tune. You can also do a E-tune (Check COBB site for details ) Check here for a COBB tuner near you.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/dealers/Default.asp

Last edited:
^^Thanks for the info hugador. I totally agree with you about applying the throttle. I have learned that this car likes the throttle inputs feathered rather that stomping on the pedal. Much better results that way. I will check out tuners on Cobb's site...thanks

Congrats. Yeah I heard from owners who owned CAI & SRI that with a SRI you'll get a faster throttle response at low rpms and with a CAI more power on top. I'm Stage 1 and also spiked 19 & 20psi of boost. Although I haven't seen it spike that high anymore it should be fine as long as you see boost tampering down from there as rpm raises. What I do, I don't stomp on the accelerator pedal (that will give you a high boost spike). Instead start let's say 3k rpm and softly press on the gas until WOT. Like around 3600 - 3700 before 4k you should be at WOT. That helps me with high boost spike, at least for now until a pro tune. You can also do a E-tune (Check COBB site for details ) Check here for a COBB tuner near you.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/dealers/Default.asp

^^This is exactly how I do it. otherwise I spike to 25.. yikes!

^^This is exactly how I do it. otherwise I spike to 25.. yikes!

Wow...up to 25? That seems really high. The highest spike I have seen is 21. Thinking about getting a pro tune really quick. What did you modify on your tune?

Wow...up to 25? That seems really high. The highest spike I have seen is 21. Thinking about getting a pro tune really quick. What did you modify on your tune?

I did a little more testing , and it seems my gauge spikes higher then the access port read out. The tune calls for 19 PSI +/- 1 PSI. If I spike both AP and gauge settle @ 20 PSI (well 19.6 on the AP); however the AP sees the spike as 22 PSI on the read out, where as the gauge spikes to 25 PSI. I'm guessing the AP is right?

Just wanted to chime in quickly. The AccessPORT uses the stock MAP sensor to read boost, so it sees the exact same boost readings that the ECU sees, it is just reporting sensor data from the ECU. If your boost gauge is reading differently than what the AccessPORT reports, then your gauge is off compared to what the ECU is seeing.

Travis
COBB Tuning

Back