Just pulled the trigger

gregbe

:
Lexus IS250
Hello all, I just joined the CX5 owners group! I bought a 2015 Soul Red Grand Touring. I've had my eye on the CX5 for a couple of years now as my friends have a 2013 & 2014 and they both love them. I am trading in a 2008 Lexus IS250 which I love but its just too small. I did get the tech package as I wanted the navigation among the other things. I hope I'm not making a mistake with that as I heard some not too good things about the nav. I have to tell you that its one of the smallest screens I have seen in a factory unit. The car is currently somewhere between Ohio & Washington state and should arrive here next week. I'm going to have them install roof racks & remote start. My wife is taking (dragging) me to a Game Of Thrones convention (!) the end of next week so I don't expect to take delivery till the 19th.
I have a 2001 Miata which has been totally problem free. Hopefully I'll have the same luck with this one.

Yes the navigation screen is small BUT.... once you have your destination in and start driving, it will direct you via voice to your destination. What I like about it is that the voice comes out of the front speakers but the rear speakers still play music. I haven't had any problems with my navi.
I'm coming from a mazda 3. I LOVE the CX-5. I can't say enough good things about it. It is the second SUV I've ever own. I'm a car guy through and through. This CUV is like a car but with ground clearance. I don't think you'll be disappointed with you purchase.

This is going to be my first SUV so I am a little concerned about how I'm going like the size. I sat in just about every CUV at a car show a few months ago and both my wife & I agreed the CX5 was the least SUV like of all. We currently have fairly "sporty" cars in our household right now, a Miata, Boss Mustang & my wife's MINI S so I hope the handling is as good as I heard it is, at least in the SUV concept of handling.

You bought the right one then, in my opinion it drives more like a sedan than an SUV. It's no race car but certainly the best in it's class. If you really want to improve the handling you can always put some lowering springs and sway bars on it and really have some fun.

I don't know if this helps but I drive aggressively. I don't mean cutting people off in traffic aggressively, I mean taking turns quicker then I should and driving "spiritedly". The car has handled what I throw at it and is so far surprising me. I know I made the right choice, in due time you will too.

I don't know if this helps but I drive aggressively. I don't mean cutting people off in traffic aggressively, I mean taking turns quicker then I should and driving "spiritedly". The car has handled what I throw at it and is so far surprising me. I know I made the right choice, in due time you will too.

That is good to hear. I drove a Escape a few weeks and while it was very peppy, it did have a floaty feeling through the turns. I guess I would get used to that but why when there are better options. All the buff magazines said how the CX5 is most fun to drive in under $45,000 range and that was a major reason I went in this direction.
Now I will be on a mission to find the right protection for the interior, floor mats, cargo area floor cover etc. I plan on carrying a bike in back for most of the summer. I have one of those heavy moving type blanket that I plan on wrapping the bike in. My dealer already said he will throw in the Mazda all weather floor mats. I have no idea how the quality compares to Weathertech

Weathertech is supposed to be the best. Worst case, by a tarp so you wont have to worry about it.

Now I will be on a mission to find the right protection for the interior, floor mats, cargo area floor cover etc. I plan on carrying a bike in back for most of the summer. I have one of those heavy moving type blanket that I plan on wrapping the bike in. My dealer already said he will throw in the Mazda all weather floor mats. I have no idea how the quality compares to Weathertech

I purchased the all weather floor mats and cargo liner, they fit and look great. They don't have the big water trapping look like the Weathertech style so if you need that feature don't get the OEM. My only complaint with the OEM mats, the rubber is a flat black and shows dirty foot prints easily, it that bothers you then you might want another brand. If you do go OEM check the prices on Ebay way cheaper than the dealer. The rear cargo mat only covers the cargo floor and the two wells on each side. It works great and is heavy duty, but if you are carrying a bike you will have the seats down. If you need protection for the seat backs as well try this brand: http://stores.canvasback.com/ They make a great product as I have one in my Expedition.

I had a 2002 miata SE and I can tell you that the cx-5 is no miata in the twisters, but for a high profile vehicle is does quite well. Enjoy the cx-5 but it is not a miata.

I too am a sports car guy, going on a ride about 50 cars to the Texas Hill Country tomorrow, and picked my CX-5 up Friday trading in a Mazda 6 Sportwagon which I loved but was getting long of tooth-and repairs-at 152K miles. So far it seems great and I can take some turns on my 45 mile commute at speed on a Texas 2 lane with a 70 mph limit. For a small crossover it does have good feel. I got the Mazda weatherproof (sic) mats from Medical Center Mazda and put them in last night. They look good and have high lips. The only complaint is that the driver's does not cover the dead pedal area.

I am coming from a 2008.5 mazdaspeed 3 that had eibach prokit springs and koni yellow shocks, so I was scared of making the SUV jump.

But this little CX5 is as enjoyable to drive (excluding acceleration) as my speed was, plus the ride height is more suited for Montreal's nasty pothole roads, witch made me drive my speed like I was rodeo riding.
I also enjoy having the AWD in the winter and rainy days.

I can now drive aggressively without getting in or in as much trouble. I also like taking turns quickly and accelerating briskly, now its all done at lower speeds, but still very fun because the steering and suspension feel is so great.

Congrats! Hope you enjoy her. When I was shopping for a CX-5, I had to have the grand touring model with tech. Not for the navigation, but for the adaptive bi-xenon headlights. I work at night, and these lights are worth the price of the tech package by itself. There's no way I could retrofit these in. I look at it like I got the nav system for free!

Last edited:
I'm hopefully going to pick my car up tomorrow and from the postings on this site a few other people are also. I was due to get it earlier this week but this past weekend I broke my leg.
Since I can't drive for 4-6 weeks I considered just putting it off till then but with the value of trade going down everyday & now the Mazda Memorial Day Weekend $500 promotion, I should be getting it late tomorrow. Its going to kill me to have a new car and not be able to drive it but that's the way it is.

gregbe - Congrats on new CX-5, I hope it's ready for delivery tomorrow. The Navigation is adequate and works. I also have a Lexus IS, it's an easy transition to the CX-5 GT.

Saturday 05/24 pickup for me as well on my Blue Reflex Mica Grand Touring w/Tech & remote start. Originally didn't want the RES but the manager said he'd split the cost of it with me.

I primarily need a roomy AWD vehicle for our MN winters but won't break the bank on gas and doesn't drive like a Suburban. The Subaru Forrester was the only real competion. Coworker has one but said his rides harshly because of the shorter wheelbase.

My last vehicle was manufactured 24 years ago so I'm moving up a bit in technology - but I'm an IT guy. Need technology!

Back