just installed my header.

alexelie

:
protege5 red
yesterday, my mechanic installed my header and it sound great! He said he had to change a doughnut and the springs, so that mean there shouldn't be any leak. But when i press the gas, i hear a king of pss noise, not so loud. Its seems to be a little louder when im in high gear at low speed. So at home, i let it in neutral, open the door and listen. Everything seems normal and i don't hear that kind of leak sound. Is it normal? Also he said that the header was touching the oil pan, but that he took a ride and didn't hear anything bad with it.

I love it Soo much, it sounds awesome, i just want to make sure everything is fine.

I'm sure it's not a problem...if you had an exhaust leak, you would know it. Do you think that maybe it's just some different engine sounds that you're now hearing because of the header? That could very well be the case.

Check the header to midpipe fit, it's probably misaligned ( feel the gap in the top of the flanges compared to the gap at the bottom, it should be equal). The header flange will be very close to the oil pan, but they move together,as they are both attached to the engine.

yesterday, my mechanic installed my header and it sound great! He said he had to change a doughnut and the springs, so that mean there shouldn't be any leak. But when i press the gas, i hear a king of pss noise, not so loud. Its seems to be a little louder when im in high gear at low speed. So at home, i let it in neutral, open the door and listen. Everything seems normal and i don't hear that kind of leak sound. Is it normal? Also he said that the header was touching the oil pan, but that he took a ride and didn't hear anything bad with it.

I love it Soo much, it sounds awesome, i just want to make sure everything is fine.

I installed mine this weekend as well, I got a cheap header for 70 bucks new from ebay. Install was straight forward. It came with a block to header gasket but the OEM metal one looked better so i reused it. Install took be about an hour and a half including jacking up the car and putting it back down. I have driven about 150 miles and have not had any codes yet and no leaks. Car sounds the same to me, but I know I at least lost some weight.

4179_602513930356_26501048_34875664_1093067_n.jpg

4179_602513935346_26501048_34875665_6911164_n.jpg

I would say that one peice is a spot for a heat sheild but not 100% sure as im not 100% what or where on the exhuast im looking at.

What makes an aftermarket header louder compared to stock header? Cause I'm gunna be using an msp midpipe with my obx headers. Is that gunna be any louder than stock?

What makes an aftermarket header louder compared to stock header? Cause I'm gunna be using an msp midpipe with my obx headers. Is that gunna be any louder than stock?

on my old p5 the stock was 100% stock with the exception of the header which removed the pre-cat. This didnt make the car sound any louder then normal. still sounded stock.

There is no cat in the after market 1 piece headers. Your stock "header" (really an exhaust manifold) is a two piece design with a cat in line. Freer flowing pipes and the lack of a cat makes the aftermarket headers much louder and raspier. The msp mid-pipe shouldn't be much louder than stock because if I'm not mistaken, there are two cats in line on the turbo mid-pipes on the msp's. So you while you will be relocating your cats, you are not removing any. Unless I'm mistaken about the msp mid-pipes... Most of the increase in sound is due to removing cats.

Edit* I'm talkin to that guy :D

Last edited:
There is no cat in the after market 1 piece headers. Your stock "header" (really an exhaust manifold) is a two piece design with a cat in line. Freer flowing pipes and the lack of a cat makes the aftermarket headers much louder and raspier. The msp mid-pipe shouldn't be much louder than stock because if I'm not mistaken, there are two cats in line on the turbo mid-pipes on the msp's. So you while you will be relocating your cats, you are not removing any. Unless I'm mistaken about the msp mid-pipes... Most of the increase in sound is due to removing cats.

Who are you talking to?

Thanks, I am from northwest florida, but i changed the header out just north of New Orleans. The car is very clean and I have not found any substantial rust of any kind. Did any one else notice how much lighter the headers are compared to the stock manifold and cat? When you removed the origional parts did you keep the manifold/cat as one piece or did you disconnect the manifold from the cat? That is what I did and it made taking it you much easier. I am not even sure if that was necessary but it made it quicker.

I could only get one bolt to work at first, but I got the second one to work so it doesn't look like that any more.

And the springs allow some give so when the engine moves around some of the tension can be transfered to the springs instead of putting all the pressure on the welds.

Ya, this is a good thing for the header. Takes a lot of stress off of the welds. Having a flex pipe inline as part of the mid pipe is ideal for this, but spring bolts help as well. If your motor mounts are in good shape its beneficial as well (less engine movement stressing the header). The less movement absorbed by the header, the better,

Back