Just got my CX9 last week. Questions about keys.

Toller

:
2014 CX9 Touring
I have the actual keys; not the electronic thing. It came with 2. Is that correct? I think other cars I have bought had 3.

The dealer I bought the car from, 80 miles from home, offered to make me a new key for $450. That seemed rather high, but I presume he was referring to the entire key/remote entry thing.

I asked 3 closer dealers if they could make me just a key without the remote entry. Two said they could for $95. The third said he could make me the key portion of the key/remote entry for $140. That included the programming.

I also contacted 4 locksmiths who said they could make auto keys. Only one got back to me, and he suggested I go to a Mazda dealer.

So my questions:
1) Is an actual key available, or is it just the key portion of the key/remote?
2) Is $95 a reasonable price? I just had a Subaru key made by a dealer for $80; but maybe Mazdas are more expensive.
3) Can locksmiths do this at a more reasonable price? Maybe I tried the wrong guys, or maybe I wasn't communicating what I wanted.
4) I saw another post that said you could program a 3rd key if you had two. I did that years ago with a Ford. Does that work with a 2014, or has that boat sailed? I have seen keys on Ebay that claim to be right.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think you are confused (or the dealers) by regular key (metal + remote) vs. smartKey.
The key+remote is about $100-$200 from dealer. (with programming)
The smartKey is more expensive (about $300+ with programming).
The metal key has to be laser-cut by the dealer. Regular key shops can't do it (correct me if I am wrong here).
The remote/smartKey part can be programmed yourself if you have two.
However, someone with 13+ models are claiming this is no longer possible. Dealers have to do it for you. Not confirmed yet.

And, yes. New cars come with two sets of key.
Some cars came with a plastic valet key. This is getting less and less popular.

I've never had a car with 3 sets of keys.

I've had cars that had 2 sets of 2 keys (one for ignition one for door/trunk)

I've never had a car with 3 sets of keys.

I've had cars that had 2 sets of 2 keys (one for ignition one for door/trunk)

I agree--again, unless you consider the valet key a 3rd set. All other new cars I have had came with 2 keys and 2 remote fobs (or 2 smart key fobs)

Yes, the valet is a third key... My CX9 didn't have a valet key; was it supposed to?

My 2008 CX9 did not come with a valet key.

My 2007 Toyota and 2011 Subaru did; but if Mazda doesn't provide one, Mazda doesn't provide one.
But a third key would be really nice.

When I used to rent a car on vacation I always made a spare for a dollar, but that doesn't work anymore. Some things have gotten worse.

Ceric the switch blade remote key can be cut by a regular locksmith. When i got mine off of ebay i had it cut for 4 bucks. Then i programmed both they key and the remote using the other 2 remotes that i got when i purchased the 9.

Ceric the switch blade remote key can be cut by a regular locksmith. When i got mine off of ebay i had it cut for 4 bucks. Then i programmed both they key and the remote using the other 2 remotes that i got when i purchased the 9.
Good to know.

I have the actual keys; not the electronic thing. It came with 2. Is that correct? I think other cars I have bought had 3.

The dealer I bought the car from, 80 miles from home, offered to make me a new key for $450. That seemed rather high, but I presume he was referring to the entire key/remote entry thing.

I asked 3 closer dealers if they could make me just a key without the remote entry. Two said they could for $95. The third said he could make me the key portion of the key/remote entry for $140. That included the programming.

I also contacted 4 locksmiths who said they could make auto keys. Only one got back to me, and he suggested I go to a Mazda dealer.

So my questions:
1) Is an actual key available, or is it just the key portion of the key/remote?
2) Is $95 a reasonable price? I just had a Subaru key made by a dealer for $80; but maybe Mazdas are more expensive.
3) Can locksmiths do this at a more reasonable price? Maybe I tried the wrong guys, or maybe I wasn't communicating what I wanted.
4) I saw another post that said you could program a 3rd key if you had two. I did that years ago with a Ford. Does that work with a 2014, or has that boat sailed? I have seen keys on Ebay that claim to be right.

Thanks

Do they really give physical keys only for the new CX-9s? I didn't know that. Seems I only remember the owners manual mentioning either the advanced key or the switchblade type key. I got 2 of the advanced keys (fobs) with my car. Each fob came with an auxiliary key (physical key that can unlock and start the engine).

The new key for $450 you mention is probably the advanced key (fob) with auxiliary key. My dealer would charge $280 for a new fob, $40 for a new auxiliary key, $8 to cut the auxiliary key, and $100-$140 to program both the fob and auxiliary key.

I tried to do as much as I could to find out if I could program the fob/aux key myself for my 2013. I searched and searched and searched the internet, I talked to a parts guy at a dealer, I talked to a service rep at two different dealers, I even bought the workshop manual. As far as I can tell, I can't program it myself. It would be great if someone could find any info that proves it otherwise. In my other post on this subject (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123836687-2013-Smart-Key-Programming-Instructions), another poster suggested it may not be self programmable for a 2011 as well. So maybe 2011 and up? I dunno.

I even emailed a local auto locksmith and he said he couldn't do it because he didn't have the programming. Though I don't know if he meant "software" programming, but I assumed that's what he meant.

You could also read through this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123837297-adventures-in-getting-a-new-key-fob-(stupid-dealers)

Here's what I got with my car. The auxiliary key slides into the fob.

20140202_031551_zpsda1738bc.jpg

Back