just got in a small accident

tranzformer

:
2002 P5
luckily no one was hurt. i was going around this turn and was braking going into it. the road was wet from raining and had some wet leaves on it and my wheels locked and the car wouldnt turn and i grazed the car coming in the other lane. luckily there wasnt too much damage to the other car. for me all the damage was on the front driver side. the front light was smashed and pushed in. the front is messed up and the hood will have to go as well as the front 1/4 panel and rim. Just curious, is it cheaper for me to just get a body kit instead of getting OEM. I know insurance will cover it, but i kinda would like to get something out of this. anyone know the costs of OEM body parts.

you can call your dealer up and give them the list of things that you want and they will give you the price. the bodyshop can also order aftermarket stuff that will be cheaper so if you want oem better tell em. usually aftermarket fit is good just not the best sometimes, but if insurance is paying get oem.

Ok, this is how you should work it. Talk to the body shop (usually insurance company reccomends a shop) and ask them to give a quote to your insurance company to get the car back to stock (OEM parts.) You should then be able to ask the insurance company to cut you a check for that amount to get repairs on your own. You can then use the money towards whatever kind of kit that you want.

tranzformer said:
i was looking more for a possible body kit front bumper, or should i just go with the stock oem bumper.

I think that's right....so you're best option is to work the deal through the body shop. They'll likely send the check to the shop and you can have the shop order the parts you want.

dominoy2k1 said:
they will only give you the check if the car is yours right?

Stick to OEM, aftermarket stuff may be cheaper but in the long run you'll be happy with OEM parts on your car.

Natey said:
Pwn3d by understeer. :(

yeah it sucks, but luckily everyone is ok and it could have been worse. the sucky thing is that i got a ticket as well for driving to fast for conditions even though i was doing only the speed limit. the cop didnt even ask me how fast i was going, and just handed me the ticket. i mean there are other reasons for accidents besides speed. fact that i lost traction on wet leaves on a wet road at night could happen to anyone.

Last edited:
I don't own my car yet (few months left) and I've had a few minor accidents. I have Hanover Insurance, and I always go to my friends body shop. Twice Hanover has mailed me a check directly, in my name.

You got a ticket for going too fast for conditions.....Conditions does not mean the speed limit. There is no minimum speed limit (unless you're on a highway). If you're driving on icy roads you don't drive the speed limit, because the conditions warrant a slower speed. Additionally, not many people take turns at the speed limit....well, just the nuts do.

Not to be a jackass, but you rightfully go that ticket.

tranzformer said:
yeah it sucks, but luckily everyone is ok and it could have been worse. the sucky thing is that i got a ticket as well for driving to fast for conditions even though i was doing only the speed limit. the cop didnt even ask me how fast i was going, and just handed me the ticket. i mean there are other reasons for accidents besides speed. fact that i lost traction on wet leaves on a wet road at night could happen to anyone.

I love blowin through turns at 5 over the limit and near the threshold of losing control. Not because it's dangerous, but because that rich bastard in the SUV behind me just can't keep up :cool:

LZ
Z

Lord_Zath said:
I love blowin through turns at 5 over the limit and near the threshold of losing control. Not because it's dangerous, but because that rich bastard in the SUV behind me just can't keep up :cool:

LZ
Z
Of course, you know, had it been a nice day that same guy would be driving his 911 Turbo.

chuyler1 said:
Of course, you know, had it been a nice day that same guy would be driving his 911 Turbo.
Most people who drive a Porsche don't know how to drive it fast or are too scared to drive it fast. I drive a twisty valley road twice everyday and I have yet to find someone who can pace with me. 300zxs, Jaguar XKRs, Porsches, BMWs, etc...

chuyler1 said:
And he'll have to drive it everyday if he follows too close to me and loses control of his car. Hasn't happened yet but I had a guy in a Saturn Vue tailgating me until a sharp 90 degree turn that I took at 40 mph that most people take at 30. It was funny watching him hit the shoulder and the ensuing dirt that flew all around as the tires dove into the shoulder and locked up.

LZ
Z

Back