Just got back from the Mitsubishi dealer......

714ms3

....and walked away from an offer that was 50 more a month than what I am currently paying.
The reasons:
1) The interior: it is beat to s***. I am sorry, but I could not forsee myself paying 28000 for the thing and not getting leather, vanity mirrors, a 6 disc changer, adjustable seats, no storage capacity, or basically any sense of style.
2) The performance: other than a quicker launch, the speed3 feels faster in every category. Especially when moshing on it in second or third from a roll. The Evo does out handle the speed3 however (no surprise there).
) The economy: the lack of a 6th gear on the GSR makes for horrible highway mpg's.
It was really easy for me to get up and say no. I don't think I would have done it for the same as I am paying now even. For me a good car needs to have performance, practicality, and comfort; take away any component and the car loses value. I feel the speed3 has all of them, and I never felt happier getting into the car than when I left the dealership.
Sorry for the long story, but I know that there are others out there tempted to trade in right now. This is just a forewarning so that you don't waste any time, or get your hopes up.

I agree with you but you have to remember stock evo's arent THAT fast in straight lines. They have way more potential than the speeds though. TBE + tune + intake = fast ****** evo for under 1500 bucks.

Yah I am talking about the Evo X.
I know the Evo has the potential to be fast as hell for cheap, but I couldn't get over the interior. Maybe I am just getting old :(

I agree with you but you have to remember stock evo's arent THAT fast in straight lines. They have way more potential than the speeds though. TBE + tune + intake = fast ****** evo for under 1500 bucks.

what he said. but, in the end if you're not comfortable with it you made the right descision.

Do you own a ms3 right now?

Cause i do and i never get the idea of driving something else...MS3 is the best bang for the buck and so muc fun to drive.

I tried a wrx and the AWD is very nice when you lauch but the rest of the car is s***

The only way I would get one is if it was an MR used and if someone doesnt get the tuning for this car figured out within the next 5 years. Or if it was a hell of a deal.

I looked at the MR back in December, and I thought that it was a great track car, but not a very good daily driver. I agree that the interior is very economy for a car in that price range, and with the recaro seats they would be extremely uncomfortable on daily commutes (though I'm sure they're great for the track).

The STI was similar for me. I thought the power was great and the AWD is a huge benefit, but I wasn't interested in spending another $10k-12k for a little more power and AWD, and a much inferior interior. The only way I would have bought an 08 STI would have been back in December when they had the $7,000 rebates and 0% financing for 72 months, THAT was a great deal and I'm sure everyone who bought one then is happy with their purchase.

There's no question that both the Evo X and STI are great cars, but I think it's pretty clear the MS3 has a better value. Some people are willing to pay to get a little more (at less of a value), nothing wrong with that, they still get a little more car for the extra money.

The STI was similar for me. I thought the power was great and the AWD is a huge benefit, but I wasn't interested in spending another $10k-12k for a little more power and AWD, and a much inferior interior. The only way I would have bought an 08 STI would have been back in December when they had the $7,000 rebates and 0% financing for 72 months, THAT was a great deal and I'm sure everyone who bought one then is happy with their purchase.

I was just going to say that. I actually went into a dealer to try to get a deal out of them for a trade in. But after I test drove the STi, it would have been well worth if it was my first car, but not for a trade in. I would have had to pay an additional $10,000 over and extra 1.5 years.

i wish these cars were that cheap up here in canadaland. :( i would have gotten either of those instead of the ms3 or ms6

MS3 is a better car to keep stock or near stock. the Evo X is a better car to mod. all depends on what you want. the Evo will take to mods way better than a MS3 but for the money the MS3 is a very good deal.

I'm telling you, go and sit in one, and you will fall back in love with your Mazda.

+1
I loved the STi (previous model) up until I sat in one. They are great performance cars but for a daily driver I couldn't stand the no-frills interiors. The Mitsubishi is just as bad unless you opt for the Sun and Sound with Nav. Their tech package is actually pretty cool and makes up for the bland plastics IMO.

I'm telling you, go and sit in one, and you will fall back in love with your Mazda.

i went and test drove an MR before i got my ms6 and loved it. it had sun and navi and i loved the way the recaros hugged me. the seats in my ms6 are way too big for me. ( im only 150 lbs lol) but for the MR up here it was 49000 and 5.5% financing

i went and test drove an MR before i got my ms6 and loved it. it had sun and navi and i loved the way the recaros hugged me. the seats in my ms6 are way too big for me. ( im only 150 lbs lol) but for the MR up here it was 49000 and 5.5% financing

Taxes and import related expenses suck don't they? I never even considered an Evo for the same reasons (it's also around that price over here, same goes for the scooby).

To the OP, having never been in a Evo, I can't agree or disagree, but I did have a slightly different thing happen to me. My old folks were shopping for a car and they went to a Volvo dealership. I went with them and we climbed on the 3's cousin (the S40). I was surprised how different it felt on the inside. To the point that when I climbed in my car on my way to the office, the speed 3 felt cheap! That impression dissapeared when they got the quote for the car (about 32 Grand over here in MX)...

I dont get it... I owned a MS3 08.5, when i drive the Evo i totally fell inlove with it. The power band on the Evo is different, it feels like slower but when it launch it actually feels better and faster to me, Due to the AWD make the whole car stick like a glue. The handling is very awesome since thats what i want more that our MS3 dont really have. The beauty of the cosmetic looks inside and out is totally diff from our MS3. They are way more aggressive compared to our MS3. I love both EvO and MS3 on the looks. Maybe because I'm a car Enthusiast, so I dont really favor any particular brand car.

The manager offered me 10k off the MSRP. Selling it to me 25k+ brand new EVO GSR rally red. 0 APR 48 months pay upon good credit check. Should be the 2008 models I believe. I can not pick any other colors. It was offered to me last sunday 06/28 when i test drive it.... I just dont want to get another debt that starts from zero since I only have 13k to pay off my MS3. Oh well I know my time will still come when I'm needing to change my car after 6 to 7 years from now.

Last edited:
I dont get it... I owned a MS3 08.5, when i drive the Evo i totally fell inlove with it. The power band on the Evo is different, it feels like slower but when it launch it actually feels better and faster to me, Due to the AWD make the whole car stick like a glue. The handling is very awesome since thats what i want more that our MS3 dont really have. The beauty of the cosmetic looks inside and out is totally diff from our MS3. They are way more aggressive compared to our MS3. I love both EvO and MS3 on the looks. Maybe because I'm a car Enthusiast, so I dont really favor any particular brand car.

The manager offered me 10k off the MSRP. Selling it to me 25k+ brand new EVO GSR rally red. 0 APR 48 months pay upon good credit check. Should be the 2008 models I believe. I can not pick any other colors. It was offered to me last sunday 04/28 when i test drive it.... I just dont want to get another debt that starts from zero since I only have 13k to pay off my MS3. Oh well I know my time will still come when I'm needing to change my car after 6 to 7 years from now.

that's a pretty sweet deal. The interior is just bland is all. The outside is great. I came from a 08 Lancer, which looks identical inside minus the steering wheel. But wow, that is a good deal

The manager offered me 10k off the MSRP. Selling it to me 25k+ brand new EVO GSR rally red. 0 APR 48 months pay upon good credit check. Should be the 2008 models I believe. I can not pick any other colors. It was offered to me last sunday 04/28 when i test drive it.... I just dont want to get another debt that starts from zero since I only have 13k to pay off my MS3. Oh well I know my time will still come when I'm needing to change my car after 6 to 7 years from now.

holy hell thats a good deal.. i think i need to move to the states lol i want an evo so bad :(

that's a pretty sweet deal. The interior is just bland is all. The outside is great. I came from a 08 Lancer, which looks identical inside minus the steering wheel. But wow, that is a good deal

Yes it is a very good deal. And the manager said its a common deal across all mitsubishi dealers, since they are trying to finish off all their 08 models. It just in a wrong timing for me to actually get that car. It feels so much better still with lesser debt. If only this was offered last year when i was shopping for a car, I could had bought it in a heart beat!

Last edited:

thats a good price!. i got mine for 28k but mine also has the SSS package(they gave me money off if i bought a Rally Red too). im very happy i bought the Evo. the handling is simply amazing and the power is good. the MS3 has more low end torque(it spools faster) and feels faster but the power drops off too early. if the Mazdaspeed had a better aftermarket than i probably would have stayed with the MS3 (and saved money) but it doesnt and the Evo has an amazing aftermarket. a guy at a meet said he made 355whp with just a TBE, Intake, and tune. both cars are great, its just the MS3 is FWD which hinders it a bit.

Back