Just bought 2003 Protege5

just use seafoam... I have used it on all my cars without any ill results.. I have used it on my old p5 without any problems and it didnt burn any oil when i traded it in with about 170k on it.

its typical for any car in first gear to jerk, to solve it, once you let off the gas wait a second, right when the car is about to 'catch' the gear push in the clutch. to explain the 'catch' concept, when you hit the gas and let go, there is a second after you let off that the car is sorta free floating, were you can actually pull the shifter out of gear with no clutch without grinding. also how you can shift wtih no clutch, but i dont suggest that to any new people i have been driving clutch for over a year, hah so im still a noob but i am a fast learner and had a pro teach me everything i know.

I learned by 1st shutting of the stereo...how can you learn to drive a stick if you can't hear how the engine sounds and when to mentally know when to shift and not always look at your tach.

2nd, just ease off the clutch till the car starts moving, then ease onto the gas and off the clutch more. Who knows, the radio may help you if your listening to "Smooth Operator" or some Sh** like that lol.

The BOOM you may be referring to could be the the timing that you take your foot off the clutch and the time you push your car into gear. Or it could be that your transmission has been rebuilt and the gears need some TLC to wear in. I generally shift about 3.5k rpms normally, but my turbo starts winding at 2k rpm, so im likely to chirp the tires if I go any higher than 3.5k rpm.

just use seafoam... I have used it on all my cars without any ill results.. I have used it on my old p5 without any problems and it didnt burn any oil when i traded it in with about 170k on it.

What mileage/how often did you do the Seafoam? Also were there noticeable driving responses afterward the Seafoam was performed?

Wow, just read the roof rack removal thread, thats not happening anytime soon.
Take off the cross bars and put on the inserts. You can do that in a few minutes, as a plus you should get slightly better mpg on the highway.

As for the first gear thing, mine is an auto so I can't speak specifically to what you are seeing. However there are cars that are geared such that first gear is pretty much only used for accelerating quickly up to a speed so that you can shift into second. On such cars the only way to drive smoothly in first is with the clutch. (Reverse is usually "jerky" too, but typically one never drives far enough backwards to notice it.) If you pull your foot off the gas quickly in first does it feel like you have slammed on the brakes? If so, your car may have this type of gearing.

Back