Just another yellow P5 build...

I love them, but it takes some getting used to. I don't really notice them on a daily basis anymore. Chasing down rattles used to drive me insane. And you have to slip the clutch a bit more to drive smoothly.

Idle with the front and rear mounts together is way smoother than having just the front mount. I had only the front for a long time, and didn't realize how bad it was. The motor ends up pivoting on the one solid mound and bouncing up and down inside the other ones. Particularly the rear. Once I put the rear mount in, I was much happier. Happy enough to want all 4.

cool. did you have inserts on the two side mounts prior to going full solid?

gotcha. thanks for the info. now you're making me wonder if i should just get the full set lol. what duro did you go with?

I have the full AWR set in 70A and they are great doesn't vibrate your teeth off or anything at all its like Jackie chan said with the one front mount it moved around but with all the mounts its super solid I think when people complain about them its because they only have one or two mounts but you have to get the full set at least the inserts I suppose although ive never rocked those so I cant say for sure.

My MP3 has 88A medieval full mount set and while it is stiff it isn't bad at all I kinda like it as for chasing down rattles well these cars have some that's for sure but I like to tighten that stuff down anyway so it just helps locate the sources :)

My front and rear are 70duro and my sides are 88duro. But I think you'll be fine with the inserts on the sides. I had poly filled stock mounts on the sides and it wasn't too noticeably different from how it is now.

Recieved my 25ft of 1/0g wire, breaker and distribution block and got to it! Took a total of 5 hours to get everything sorted and how I wanted it. And it still starts/runs!

20161011_174509_zpsnlqmqyrh.jpg

20161011_174706_zpse1xuxc5h.jpg

That was just a mock up of how the box would fit. I didn't take any pics of it completed because it got dark. I'll take some tomorrow. I cut the floor mats, and the plastic pieces that raise the floor for the spare tire sub, so the box could be on the actual metal floor. This recesses it down about 3 inches, which looks better and is very stable.

I had a genius idea for securing the box, I put the jack between it and the strut tower bar and jack it up a bit. Rock solid. The battery is attached to the inside of the box itself.

The area of the engine bay, where the battery was is disgusting. And ugly. But very spacious.

20161011_175933_zpsui4caan6.jpg

That's a good question. Maybe a little, but definitely not a cost effective way to shed weight if that's your only goal, haha.

I know hydra makes an aluminium front engine mount, if they made a full set of those, you could probably save like 8 lbs or so.

Last edited:
Got a NB miata Nardi Torino wheel. Had an opportunity to get it for peanuts, so I decided I might as well. It is in decent shape. Not perfect, but not bad either. Spent 45 minutes scrubbing it with leather cleaner, than conditioner.

20161019_220306_zpshd9l5ibg.jpg

Made in Italy!
20161019_220335_zpsuu5ljqf4.jpg

It's actually the exact same size as stock. I was hoping it was smaller. But that's okay. It feels really good. It is much heavier than the stock wheel. And it gets rid of the giant gaping hole left in the side of my stock wheel, where my cruise control used to be. Which is worth it to me right there.

Stock w/out cruise
20161019_223149_zpsmabnhmv3.jpg

Nardi never had cruise.
20161019_223131_zpshsbmavbk.jpg

And I bought a set of 7" 9k springs to upgrade my front coils with. And then I'm hoping the original 7k front springs will work in the back instead of the 4k springs that are back there right now.

20161019_224729_zps3k5zppbc.jpg

that leather steering wheel will feel great in your hands. do you find the 4k spring super soft? im running 6k/4k currently and while it's comfy, im finding it a tad too soft.

I think they're too soft. My yellowspeed dampers seem to way over dampen them. On stiffer settings, the spring doesn't have enough rebound to push the wheel back down after cornering or over bumps. It handles and drives well on lower damper settings, it just rolls too much.

My theory was correct! I'm so happy. Ride quality has actually improved! There is no body roll whatsoever. It doesn't shudder over bumps any more. It rides much smoother. I would venture to say, that it actually rides GOOD. Which just blows my mind. It is so much fun to drive now. I can't wait to get the 7k springs installed in the rear. I was running way too high dampening for the old springs. And without the high dampening, I would rub everywhere.

They are 65mm i.d. springs mounted on my yellowspeed coilovers which came with 62mm. But they seat just fine. And seem to be working great.

9k 65mm vs 7k 62mm
20161023_181016_zpsotj8ozwq.jpg

9k mounted on yellowspeed.

20161023_183650_zpslncvuy8b.jpg

7k front springs installed in the rear. Wow. What a difference. The ride is amazing. And handling blows my mind. This is how the coilovers should have came in the first place. The yellowspeed dampers are much better suited for higher spring rates.

7k front spring mounted on rear coilover. The front springs aee plenty long enough to run in the rear.

20161024_184652_zpsx4u7xjep.jpg

Block back from the machine shop. Crank checked out perfect. Got a set of standard clevite bearings. Crank and everything is getting sent out to get balanced. Going to paint the block gold.

20161025_175128_zpszbbkakzi_edit_1477460129209_zps4nhe5iam.jpg

Layed down the first coat of primer on the block. Then I felt a rain drop, so I took everything back inside. It proceeded to dump rain for the rest of the day. Bummer.

Ebay oil cooler/relocation kit. Deemed it worth a shot. If the lines/fittings turn out to be sub-par, it'll still be worth it for the adapters and cooler. All seems good so far though.

20161026_234811_zpskydygsgo.jpg

Back