JIC's should fit, right? Then how come . . .

Yes it is slammed. Ask some of the MI guys. My coilovers actually came with a shortened spring as I had asked for from Rishie at Auto R n D. I am tucking the whole rear tire and some of the front tire. You can see pics if you search for jsahyoun's MP3. Sorry I dont know how to post pics???

The stock RH will rub if it is slammed, yes over a 2.5 inch drop. That is because at that drop it cambers the wheels in severly. You do not need your car that low, but I like it!

ocd said:
It is weird. It's the inner rear tires rubbing against the strut body. I am pretty sure the R/L sides are correct. I am so stupified. It must be something I am doing wrong. These are the JIC FLT-A2's not the A1's. I don't know if that makes a difference. JIC told me there must be something wrong with the offset on the rim. I was thinking they have the pillow mounts switched from R to L from the factory. I will take a closer inspection today.

Thanks for all the imput y'all. Good look.

(2thumbs)
I need a pic to tell you what you did wrong. Are the upper holes on the lower strut mount slotted?

Nothing is wrong. The car is low as hell I am sure, and this has cambered the wheels in severly causing the tire to rub on the red collar. I have been all through this. I just never post!

If you had wheels with lets say a +42 offset with a 7" width. They will not rub! JIC is correct the offset on the RH is a high +55, and when cambered they will go into the strut collar!

O.K., then JIC must have been less than honest with me when they stated: "We test fitted the FLT-A2's on a MSP at Mazdaspeed". Thank's JIC.

Any way, the car is not slammed, and I don't see how ride height has any effect on the height adjustment collar. To my understanding, the height adj collar is the lowest one that rest at the strut mount bracket. This is the one that hits the tire. It will remain in this position no matter how low the vehical is. I was thinking of raising that collar up to the spring adjustment collars and hope the height adj stays where I set it without the locking collar in place. This is crazy.

I don't believe the upper or lower holes on the strut are slotted. If anything they are barely oval. If you are regarding the actual hub/knuckle of the car, I don't think either one of them were slotted.

I will have to re-check the car to be sure. I really hope it's a goof on my behalf. If so, I will apollogize for my comments to JIC.

I also am not even close to a full drop. But every time someone sees my car they ask me how it is that low. Maybe the pictures are decieving?? It is pretty low.

ocd said:
I don't believe the upper or lower holes on the strut are slotted. If anything they are barely oval. If you are regarding the actual hub/knuckle of the car, I don't think either one of them were slotted.

I will have to re-check the car to be sure. I really hope it's a goof on my behalf. If so, I will apollogize for my comments to JIC.

the strut assembly should have a slotted hole. i'm not talking hgue here, just a little oval.

a little movement will change the cambre exponentially...trust me.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1103664&postcount=9

that has my toe and cambre before and after my alignment. that bolt hole might look barely oval, but look at how much it changed my alignment.

i went from -2.8 to -0.9 on the left alone. barely oval, eh? ;)

pdhaudio83 said:
curious. bump. Eric- preference to spell it cambre? just curious :)

i'm french-canadian.

i also spell things with the special and random "u", like "humour".

or, its not "molding", its "moulding".

I've seen another MSP that has this problem. The factory tires rub against the JIC struts if you don't use a wheel spacer. This car isn't extremely low either.
I think the problem might be solved by slotting the bolt holes on the bottom of the strut, therefore moving the strut assembly towards the centre of the car, there seemed like enough room to do that when I looked at the car assembled.
Custom front endlinks were also required.

Logan said:
I've seen another MSP that has this problem. The factory tires rub against the JIC struts if you don't use a wheel spacer. This car isn't extremely low either.
I think the problem might be solved by slotting the bolt holes on the bottom of the strut, therefore moving the strut assembly towards the centre of the car, there seemed like enough room to do that when I looked at the car assembled.
Custom front endlinks were also required.
Its my car Logan's talking about here. I have to run a 1/4 inch spacer on the rears or it rubs the red collars. Pics are under Greatg here of the drop.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76019

The problem still exists. I see you say "custom front end links". I assume the problem exists on the front axle as well. . . is this true? With the 1/4" spacer, weren't you close to not having enough lug threads? Did you use extended studs? Did you have to run spacer in the front also? Did you roll the fenders/quarter panels?

Is this going to suck forever?

(pissed)

I didn't put on longer studs yet, but its on my list. STock studs are long enough. I just had the rear fenders rolled for my competition tires. No spacer in front.
My front end links were a different problem.
It doesn't suck on onramps or switchbacks.

So is there a consensus or wether these fit an otherwise stock MSP yet. I guess for $1,600 I would want them to fit without rubbing or any hassle.

I believe unless JIC has changed them... they do not fit without spacers or 50mm offset wheels instead of 55mm offset.

Back