I've got a situation. (Paint-related)

tolagarFriS

:
2003.5 Titanium MSP
Ok, so I have a titanium. Some jerk hit me a month ago (look for my topic).
Anyway, I'm looking to get it fixed sometime soon...

I've heard people have trouble duplicating the paint color; that it's impossible? So....should I just try to get as close as possible? Also, I'm planning on getting the BC2 rear and sides sometime, which will need to be painted of course.

ANYWAY...should I wait to get the kit and get the same place to TRY to match the color? Or...just....do an entire re-spray? I know this issue has come up a ton, but what do people END UP doing?

The shop that I've taken my car to that paint matched my eyelids, interior fiberglass and hood did a fantastic job. He had NO PROBLEMS matching the cars' color to a tee. That what the paint codes on the doors are for. It shouldn't be that difficult for a good paint shop to duplicate. Just don't go to MAACO or any generic place like that.

Oh...wow. Well I figured they usually DON'T have a problem for the most part. But I had heard that Mazda used some special 3-step paint and that it was hard to duplicate, etc.

I guess I can always just go somewhere and ask. Thanks for the feedback.

to be honest it depends on the shop. i had a hood painted and it was way off and they followed the code. if its off make sure u dont settle, and bring it back.

and you are correct its a 3 step. color, mica and clear.

tolagarFriS said:
Oh...wow. Well I figured they usually DON'T have a problem for the most part. But I had heard that Mazda used some special 3-step paint and that it was hard to duplicate, etc.

I guess I can always just go somewhere and ask. Thanks for the feedback.

[SEMI - threadjack] Does anyone know what brand of paint mazda uses for their cars? Theres a REALLY good body shop in town that I want to fix my car and they use sikkens which is one of the best paints on the market but how much of an issue am I going to have matching it to the factory car (With an estimate they are doing color blending which when they showed me how far they are color blending I dont see much of a problem). Just curious if I should specify a specific brand of paint.

Sean

There's also a code on your driver's side door. My guy paints alot of upper end cars and a few not so upper end, but he's been in town for several years. He had to wait to get one of the cans of paint from Canada for mixing. So it's more than a one step process and possibly can get fricked up at a run of the mill paint shop.

If you go to a dealer, you should be fine since they come with gaurantees and do this sort of work all the time. But if you go elsewhere, ask for references and do some research first. I think Acura and Nissan have a handful of cars that have metal flake in the paint. Their shops would probably be able to direct you where they get THEIRS done.

Hmm...how much do you think a Mazda dealership would charge me to paint like...1 square foot of quarter panel and a couple of bumpers?

My guy did my work for Cheap. He only charged me $150 to paint my hood, eyelids and pillar pod.

Is there a probleme with the titanium colour code??? I mean like the yellows that the paint doesn't match?

laracroft said:
My guy did my work for Cheap. He only charged me $150 to paint my hood, eyelids and pillar pod.

(shocked) wow, wish i was a lady!;)
cost me 150 just to have my CF hood recleared

BRICE said:
Is there a probleme with the titanium colour code??? I mean like the yellows that the paint doesn't match?
I've had to have paint work done at two different shops since I bought my MSP. I have a Titanium.

The first was after my accident about two years ago. I had to have my rear bumper, rear lip, part of my driver's rear fender, driver's rear door, and trunk repainted. It came out FLAWLESS. Not a single problem with matching the paint. You'd think the car had just come off the production line.

And just about a week ago, I got my CF hood back from painting. It cost me about $300 -- I had something of a weird paint scheme done, decals involved, taping, reclearcoating, blahblah -- but again, that came out with the color matching perfectly.

So I don't know why people seem to think that Titanium is hard to match. I've never had any problems -- as LONG as I spoke with body shops that have good, solid reputations.

Alright, cool thanks. Everytime I had heard of people having problems, I could never understand WHY, but maybe they just didn't know what they were doing.

I guess if I can find a good place and check it out, I'll be fine.
Hopefully I'll get this done soon!

terbow said:
to be honest it depends on the shop. i had a hood painted and it was way off and they followed the code. if its off make sure u dont settle, and bring it back.

I had that same problem for my car as well and i didnt settle. They actually had to repaint the whole car to match the small section that they fixed. I have also heard that the paint may lighten due to the sunlight......

take it to a good shop, and make sure they do blending on the car and not just paint one section and thats it.

I've had to have paint work done at two different shops since I bought my MSP. I have a Titanium.

The first was after my accident about two years ago. I had to have my rear bumper, rear lip, part of my driver's rear fender, driver's rear door, and trunk repainted. It came out FLAWLESS. Not a single problem with matching the paint. You'd think the car had just come off the production line.

And just about a week ago, I got my CF hood back from painting. It cost me about $300 -- I had something of a weird paint scheme done, decals involved, taping, reclearcoating, blahblah -- but again, that came out with the color matching perfectly.

So I don't know why people seem to think that Titanium is hard to match. I've never had any problems -- as LONG as I spoke with body shops that have good, solid reputations.

Do you know if they used 2 or 3 steps procedure ? It is flawless under all viewing angles and light conditions ? I'm thinking about having a door repainted but don't want to mess it up more (freak)

Alright, cool thanks. Everytime I had heard of people having problems, I could never understand WHY, but maybe they just didn't know what they were doing.

I guess if I can find a good place and check it out, I'll be fine.
Hopefully I'll get this done soon!

I used to work for a body shop a couple years ago. If the shop you take it to uses quality products and is reputable..... It's gonna match. Rush put it very nicely. No doink around with cheapy fly by night shops. Higher end paints have had more development and time placed into matching colors, metallics, etc. Go with the good stuff and a good shop and you'll be lookin' like new!(thumb)

Back