It's Lowered

Props to you for the effort. Yet, I don't see the drop as 2", I'm hard pressed to see it at all. It would have been nice to take objective measures before and after. For that kind of money and labor, I'd be looking for a more aggressive drop. At the end of the day, it's your ride, and if you're satisfied, then you've done good.

I don't believe any of the big nane kits (RSR, Tanabe, Eibach Pro) have an application for the CX-9. I guess they don't perceive a demand in this segment, and they're probably right.

Years ago in my '03 Honda Pilot, I stepped off a nominal curve in a foot of snow, and sheared off the entire rear suspension and bent the rear driveshaft. Nearly $4k in damage. Had it been lowered, it would have clipped the underbody and not just the rear suspension. All the vehicles in this segment are to be driven like cars, they have absolutely zero off-road capability.

Image Comparison

Ok.....so maybe my eyes are going in my mid-40's but.....dude...it pretty much looks the same as the stock car I am driving today!

Here is a side-by-side comparison. Perhaps Sentry West Mazda is putting in free lowering kits without me knowing it....

Attachments

• Compare.jpg
    Compare.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 637
  • Compare 2.jpg
    Compare 2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 631
I don't recall what the original ride height was exactly. I think it was 34" from the ground to the front fender wheel well. Right now, it's @ 31". Can someone take a tape measure to the front and rear wheel wells and see how high it is?

Last edited:
Ok.....so maybe my eyes are going in my mid-40's but.....dude...it pretty much looks the same as the stock car I am driving today!

Here is a side-by-side comparison. Perhaps Sentry West Mazda is putting in free lowering kits without me knowing it....

That's the wrong pic. The one you used was before... the after is like 1/2 the gap.

I personally don't see the point of this, but I totally respect someone enjoying themselves modding thier vehicle. So Enjoy!!!

I don't know what everyone's expectation were when I lowered the 9. I wasn't trying to go for the slammed look. That would be impractical and ridiculous. However to say that it's not noticable is stretching it too. The pics are not the greatest since I don't have my camera at the moment. However, if you were to see it in person, you will definitely see that it's lowered and sports a much hunkered down stance compare to the original right height.

In terms of mods, the price to function ratio here was definitely worth it. For the price of a CAI, I got something that you can feel and notice while driving. What it's really missing is a nice set of wider wheels and tires to give it that X-5 sports pkg look.

For most CX9 owners, the most "utility" they'll need the car for is shuttling kids here and there, and maybe picking up occasional bulky items from IKEA or Home Depot. In that sense, I don't think it has loss much.

I'm trying to get buy in from my boss. I might have to wait a few months though, as she's not too keen on me tinkering with her brand new car. Lol.

Last edited:
I see both sides of the coin. Sporty is an out rec guy. He needs the ground clearance. My fellow Canucks and I are suburbanites. Our CX9 is the family bus and the occasional transport for big items from Ikea and HD.

Here's better side profile pic taken from yesterday after the install. Looks like a big ballsy wagon don't it?

2zh1fee.jpg

No offense, but it looks like your 9 needs to go to the bathroom. I'm just saying...

The 8" was another selling point for us, for sure. We wanted something more refined, performance oriented, and roomy than our CR-V, but could still get us to put-ins, campsites, and trailheads.

Last edited:
It does looks like it's squatting a bit in that picture. Is it just the picture or does the rear sit a teeny bit lower?

The rear does sit a tad lower.. Then again, that's normal with most vehicles. When i get it washed, I will take another pic from a level parking surface. Our cul-de-sac is not leveled hence the added effect.

No offense, but it looks like your 9 needs to go to the bathroom.

Didn't you know that's the new look these days (2thumbs)

I think it looks ok but I wouldn't personally do it to my CX-9. Right now I can change the oil without jacking it up. I don't think I could do that if it were 2" lower. Just my 2

As long as it doesn't poop on my lawn, it doesn't matter to me.

If you only drive it on city streets and had an elderly or mildly disabled person in the family, though, I could see wanting to make it a bit easier to get in and out for them.

I also wouldn't do it because of the ease of changing the oil, like cccx9 said.

It's not that bad folks.. Yes, it's a little hard to get under there to change the oil, but nothing a couple planks of 2x4's can't fix. Besides, I come from a world of lowered or coilover suspension cars. This is nothing.

Latest posts

Back