It the Ford Edge competition for the CX-7?

is the Ford Edge competition for the CX-7?

• Yes

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters

stangmatt66

:
2004 Mazda RX-8 & 2005 Toyota Prius
Is the Ford Edge competition for the CX-7?

8-FordEdge.jpg

ford.edge.int.500.jpg

Ford announced pricing for the 2007 Ford Edge (cousin of the CX-7):

Ford Edge Website
Official Press Release

SE FWD: $25,995
SE AWD: $27,645

SE Features:
  • Bold, distinctive three-bar chromed grill
  • Athletic stance with dual exhaust
  • All-new 3.5L V6 Duratec 35 engine with all-new 6-speed automatic transmission offer power & fuel efficiency
  • Independent multilink suspension delivers responsive handling
  • 17" Painted Aluminium Wheels
  • Compartmentalized center console storage
  • MP3/Input Audio Jack
  • 60/40 split fold flat 2nd row seat
  • 2nd row seatback also reclines
  • ABS with Traction Control
  • AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control
  • Safety Canopy with rollover sensor (Curtain airbags)
  • Side Impact Air Bags

SEL FWD: $27,990
SEL AWD: $29,640

SE Features, plus:
  • Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
  • In-dash 6 CD changer w/ steering wheel audio controls
  • Dual fog lamps
  • Dual chrome exhaust tips
  • Automatic Headlamps
  • Illuminated Door Entry Keypad
  • Electrochromatic Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror
  • 6-way Power Drivers Seat w/ Manual Lumbar

The Edge is priced near the CX-7, but is missing key features such as HID headlights and advanced keyless entry & start--which are both available on the CX-7. However, the Edge has a more powerful 265 hp V6 which runs on good ol' regular 87 and has the available panoramic Vista Roof.

Does the Edge pose a threat to the CX-7?

Last edited:
Does it pose a threat? No
Will it compete? Probably

Would I want it? Definitely not.

Why? The styling is a step backwards, It may have more horses, but how's the torque? Betcha that it weighs more than the CX-7. I don't like all the chrome up front in the grille. I could probably go on, but I don't know that much about it.

G-Papi said:
Does it pose a threat? No
Will it compete? Probably

Would I want it? Definitely not.

Why? The styling is a step backwards, It may have more horses, but how's the torque? Betcha that it weighs more than the CX-7. I don't like all the chrome up front in the grille. I could probably go on, but I don't know that much about it.
^^Agreed That chrome grill is nasty! I have never been much of a ford fan anyway!

they both look the same to me. If i had to choose it would be the ford only for that color. I like the burnt orange and the grille.

Nope... it still has one major down fall...... it is still a Ford...... also, the pricing almost seems higher than the CX7... mine is the Grand Touring with the Tech Package... and all other goodies (except all wheel drive) and I paid a little over $30,000 and the SEL FWD is $28,000 and no navi.....

Last edited:
The chrome grille makes me think of an old Buick (enguard)

The ford all the way. V6 more hp and less to break. And I bet it'll be able to tow more. And HID's aren't all that, they are cool and all but cost to much to replace.

Mazda wins!!!!

I would consider it if I was not such a Mazda fan.....Mazda's are just more fun to drive and have better styling, handling etc. The thing that sells me is the option of the panoramic roof.......I love those!!! Mazda has the "Edge"......it is lower in price and does not look like a box and way more fun for the driver. Zoom Zoom everyone!!!

As a loyal Mazda owner for more years then I care to remember, all here are aware that Mazda is owned by Ford right? While the CX7 remains my first choice I find more and more Ford parts and styling with each of my new purchases, and believe the trend will continue with each new model year. Just as long as Mazda gets the best of both Im happy with my choice of using the better design team.

Gee where have I seen that Edge shifter before

Correction, the Edge isnt more powerful, the turbo 2.3L has a lot more torque than the V6. put the two engine in a same car, the 2.3L will be a lot quicker. Also Mazda underrated the 2.3L DISI. its got a lot more torque than you think.

Also Mazda does not always go to Ford's parts bin, for example, the RX-8, MX-5, CX-7 are ALL mazda, zero Ford parts... Also for the platform on the Mazda6, fact is that it is a shared platform used in many Ford's cars too, too many to count, but I always hear that its Mazda's platform and Ford helped to create it, not the other way around (i.e Ford's platform and Mazda helped). Same as the MZR engine, ford helped, and then renames it as duratec and put it in domestic cars. If anything, I think Ford reaches into Mazda a lot more often for parts.

Btw, that Edge looks like crap... And Ford cars are not made to compete... It already looks outdated.

Last edited:
Renesis8 said:
Btw, that Edge looks like crap... And Ford cars are not made to compete... It already looks outdated.
Oh so true.
(werd)

Renesis8 said:
Also Mazda does not always go to Ford's parts bin, for example, the RX-8, MX-5, CX-7 are ALL mazda, zero Ford parts...

Lets see on my MX-5 the dipstick reads FoMoCo same for the filter wonder whos part that is. Guess Ford took that shifter from Mazda then... two quick examples that at least the new MX-5 and CX-7 are not ALL mazda parts

thanks for clarifying mx5gary, I wanted to say that all the major parts of those cars are all mazda, drivetrain, suspension, platform, etc.

I wouldn't touch the 3.5L V-6 with a 100ft long pole.

As said before, 2.3L DISI turbo FTW!!! (first)

The way I see it is both vehicles look good. Yes the chrome is a bit much of the ford but the front of the mazda isnt all that great either. Mazda has always used ford parts and ford mazda. I personally would not want a turbo 4 in my SUV. Ill take the V6. Both will get the same MPG but with the V6 you dont have to use the 91+ octane. That alone will is almost enough. That and fords build quality is just as good as mazda. Another thing that ford has over the mazda is the cx7s ugly ass red dash lights. I just hate red lights, and my greenish lights in the protg. VW actually has the best dash lights.

Back