Is the MSP MAF sensor different?

Natey

Contributor
Patron
I've been searching for a couple days and keep coming up with different answers, so I'm just gonna ask straight up. Maybe the next guy's search will be easier if he finds this.

Can anyone tell me if the MAF for a Mazdaspeed Protege is the same as the MAF from any other 2.0L 3rd gen Protege?

I can tell you I've put a P5 MAF in my MSP and it doesn't seem to be doing any differently. It utilizes the same 5v reference and hot wire design as any other. Physically, they look identical, but I don't have part numbers to verify.

I was leaning toward the same thing (wait, don 't say LEAN lol)...They seem the same and I can't find one for an FSDE-T, but it seems like more airflow from the turbo would maybe call for a different calibration or something. Your car feel fine though, huh? Maybe I'm over-thinking it, especially if the OEM Mazda part numbers are the same.

Thanks for the replies! (hi)

EDIT: I just bought one. I'll post my results when it's installed and I'm boosting.

Last edited:
Maf just reads voltage. If it was tuned differently, it would most likely be handled by the ECU itself.

Id actually be flat out surprised if they were different in all truth.

I was leaning toward the same thing (wait, don 't say LEAN lol)...They seem the same and I can't find one for an FSDE-T, but it seems like more airflow from the turbo would maybe call for a different calibration or something. Your car feel fine though, huh? Maybe I'm over-thinking it, especially if the OEM Mazda part numbers are the same.

Thanks for the replies! (hi)

EDIT: I just bought one. I'll post my results when it's installed and I'm boosting.

I'm currently running 20-22psi tuned with an FTC and my AFRs are in the low-11's. You won't have an issue.

The new FSDE MAF came in the mail. I installed it and my bucking issue is resolved.

The answer is NO, No difference.
Both turbocharged and N/A cars both use the same MAF. (thumb)

Last edited:
Back