Is it just me? The Protege5 goes thru headlight bulbs like its food

As mentioned probably somewhere in this thread, the clips on the headlight assembly is one major reason for these prematurely burning out. Most of the time the clips are already bent beyond the ability to be fixed, if you bought the car used. If your tab is broken, the bulb isn't being secured to the housing and is vibrating, drastically shortening the life of the bulbs. When I had my HID PNP bulbs in the factory housings I used a piece of foam to keep the bulb more secure in the housing and had them for 4+ months with no problems.

As mentioned probably somewhere in this thread, the clips on the headlight assembly is one major reason for these prematurely burning out. Most of the time the clips are already bent beyond the ability to be fixed, if you bought the car used. If your tab is broken, the bulb isn't being secured to the housing and is vibrating, drastically shortening the life of the bulbs. When I had my HID PNP bulbs in the factory housings I used a piece of foam to keep the bulb more secure in the housing and had them for 4+ months with no problems.

Well I know with the one, that most likely is the case, because one of the clips broke, and we took it to 3 places, they all said that they could not fix it unless you bought a new headlamp. Which TBH, for a .50 cent piece of steel, $150+ for one headlamp is a big PITA. The other one, that could also be the problem, i'll check that too next time, as far as i know, the clip still functions but maybe it just moves around a little too much. Thanks though.

the alternator could also be a problem. voltage spiked killed my bulbs. get the battery and alternator checked. something could also be loose.

My experience...many bulb replacements later

I had to get my 2 cents in as I just had my 5th or 6th low beam bulb burn out today! I've owned the car for 2 years and put on about 50k. I've tried silverstars and PIAAs neither seems to last much longer then the other.

I think the theory about the bulb wiggling too much b/c of that stupid clip that keeps the bulb in place is valid. I drive a fair amount for work, which sometimes includes gravel back roads and currently many side streets in MN have a nice layer of ice due to the cold which means LOTS of vibration in both instances. In addition I think the cold temps itself could play a role, as the bulb heats up so quickly and when using a high temp bulb the change in temperature is greater.

Funny story: About 6 weeks ago I had both bulbs burn out at the same time, thankfully for me it was when I got home while pulling in my garage.

I much prefer the look of the Silverstars and/or PIAAs but I've concluded that I'll probably switch back to cheap OEM replacements and try to get that clip tighter to help eliminate or reduce the vibration.

Still considering a cheap HID conversion too, in particular the DDM slim ballast kit that I've read quite a bit about on this forum (http://www.ddmtuning.com)
I'm hesitant to pull the trigger only b/c I'd hate to have something burn out/ break while on the road for work and not be able to have it replaced quickly.

I purchased my 2003 P5 new Dec of 2002. The original bulbs lasted until last summer. Thats 6 years out of the stockers. So I put silvania bulbs in, first (DS) one went out Monday morning on my way to work then yesterday the PS one went out. Lovely driving to work with just fog lights.
They are junk bulbs that is all there is to it. Went to the dealer and got stock bulbs again. On the box it says they are from Germany. Maybe I will get another six years out of this set. Thats not bad for $55 if I do.

I've had my p5 for 7 months and front passenger just went out this morning. Who knows how long the prior owner had those bulbs in there, but they are not stock. Fortunately I bought some HID's from DDM and they should be here tomorrow.

I purchased my 2003 P5 new Dec of 2002. The original bulbs lasted until last summer. Thats 6 years out of the stockers. So I put silvania bulbs in, first (DS) one went out Monday morning on my way to work then yesterday the PS one went out. Lovely driving to work with just fog lights.
They are junk bulbs that is all there is to it. Went to the dealer and got stock bulbs again. On the box it says they are from Germany. Maybe I will get another six years out of this set. Thats not bad for $55 if I do.

Silverstars are made in Germany, too. They say on the package they will not last as long, bulb companies want bulbs to burn out asap so people are forced to spend more money on more bulbs. I think the filament in the silverstars are more sensitive and blow out easier.

I agree with you that they are probably trying to make a buck. I compared them and could not see any difference in filament size. I just can not believe the stockers would last six years and the Silvanias lasted less then a year. I have had a pair of high output PIAAs in my CRX and they have lasted 10 years. Talk about getting bounced around in a highly sprung racecar.

well i checked DDM's website today, looks like they are now offering their lifetime warranty on the less expensive HID kit too, which at a price of $29.99...I think I've found my solution!

In the meantime I now have one silverstar and one piaa installed....I was trying to keep the lights matching....

It still won't fix your problem if your tabs aren't keeping the bulbs secure, HID's bulbs can burn out the same way your halogen bulbs are burning out, too. I would say they could blow even easier depending on how/where you drive.

i didnt think HIDs had filaments... so they would be less prone to vibrations... and the ballasts protect them from voltage spikes.

I scored four sets of silverstars on clearance (12 something a piece) at a Target a few years ago. Im still on the first set!

However, on a roadtrip, I lost both headlights at one time. It was close to freezing in a few parts of washington and utah so I think that may have played a part. Driving with just highbeams in a snowstorm was scary. People kept flashing me and I would respond by showing them I just had highs and foglights.

DDMs are on order. Maybe I can sell my silverstars.

Can anyone give me a set by step instructions on how to remove both headlight assemblies? Do I really need to remove the front bumper? I am looking to install the new HID kit I just purchased. I know you can do it without removing the whole assembly; however, I think my clips are bent. With the headlight removed it should be easier to fix.

Can anyone give me a set by step instructions on how to remove both headlight assemblies? Do I really need to remove the front bumper? I am looking to install the new HID kit I just purchased. I know you can do it without removing the whole assembly; however, I think my clips are bent. With the headlight removed it should be easier to fix.

I just installed my HID's last weekend. You pretty much have to take the headlights out, or you're working blindly. Basically you have to take the front bumper off. It's not too difficult, but look for the "Headlight Blackout" How-To and it will show you what you need to do.

it may SEEM like more work to remove the bumper and pull the headlights but in all honesty it made it easier to get the HID bulbs in and NOT screw up the clips holding in the bulbs

Plus it can't hurt to know how to remove the bumper. I can do it blind folded now! lol

Hey guys whats up newbie here i have same problem with my lights too
until i replaced the h7 connector for the bulb havent had a problem since then and its been over a year

Back