irratic idle

protege3690

:
2003.5 MSP #290
My msp has an irratic idle ... idles normal when in open loop to warm up but then idle jumps up and down between 800 down to 600 rpms and even boogs real low to point of stalling..... please help... what can be causing this???? Vacuum lines are all new .. intake mani bolted up tight.. exhaust mani is tight and no cracks... only noticable thing my mechanic pointed out is what seems to be a valve ticking sound... possible stuck open valve??

Any updates on this? I have the same problem when I decelerate/push clutch in and the revs drop significantly, almost to he point where it'll die.

I'm pulling in only 12inHg ... how much should my car be pulling in? I cleaned the egr valve about 2 months ago

I'm pulling in only 12inHg ... how much should my car be pulling in? I cleaned the egr valve about 2 months ago

Depending on your altitude, the weather and your gauge you should see -18 to -22 hg/in vacuum at idle. -20 to -22 hg/in is where mine always seems to be. My idle has always been steady. MAF on CAI and have never cleaned the EGR. 86K+ miles since new.

Your low reading, assuming the gauge is accurate suggest that you either have a vacuum leak and/or engine issues. Check all clamps,connections, exhaust manifold bolts and cylinder head cover bolts for tightness. If all are good then do a compression test and a leak down test.

I get -22 hg/in as well.

I fixed my idle by moving my MAF closer to the the TB and further from the BOV. Also tightened up the BOV a bit.

Ok, so I had all the clamps bolts and everything sealed, I even had the vacuum lines redone, even passed mapp gas to see if any vac leaks, nothing leaking, and my gauge is still reading at 11..... can an improperly seated valve cause an irratic idle? That's the only thing I notice on my car, compression is good at 180 across all 4 cylinders

There is a good point in the fact that the bpv/bov should be as far away as possible from the MAF if it has been relocated so no unnecessary turbulence affects it. Also if you still have the stock EGR maybe the motor maybe sticking causing your erratic idle plus its cast iron eventually its going to have pits and defects on the stem causing travel issues another reason to getting the Canada version which is all aluminum.

I found there are three things to replace on this car to make it more enjoyable.
LSD
EGR
SMIC
after that the rest is tuneing.

did the 2 oxygen sensors,injectors,idle control valve is OK,mass air flow sensor checked and cleaned..i dunno..??still wants to stall..anybody ??

I've had the same problem since I bought my MSP. Mind describing what you did to fix it?

Back