iPhone streaming music over bluetooth

radiohead

I have an iPhone 3G that is bluetooth paired with my 2008 Mazda5 to make handsfree phone calls. Sometime over the summer, Apple released version 3 of the iPhone firmware which is supposed to be able to stream music over bluetooth. My iPhone currently has firmware version 3.1.2.

Has anyone here managed to get music from an iPhone to streamed over bluetooth to their Mazda5 radio?

Thank you,

No, the Bluetooth in Mazda 5s only support phone calls, not the A2DP Profile required for streaming music. I think only a few luxury cars and higher end aftermarket head units support the A2DP Profile

There are several A2DP receivers out there. I bought the Belkin and run it through my aux input. There are 2 problems though. Noise and BT auto connect. The Belkin does not have a battery, so when you power it through your car you make a ground loop that causes noise. It's the same noise you get if you power your mp3 player from the car and plug directly into the aux input using a cable. You can get rid of it by using a 1 to 1 transformer noise filter. The second problem is that the Belkin does not auto pair with my phone when it is powered on. My jawbone BT headset does this, but the A2DP does not. I'm looking into software to handle this for my android phone. Not sure about iPhone.

An aftermarket deck works well....

Head units that do bluetooth have greatly come down in price. I installed a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) a year and a half ago and have been very happy. You can get them for under $170.

My bill of materials is here.

It kicks butt. It pairs up with my Bluetooth Android phone, automagically, and I can listen to Pandora on my commute home. Plus it can play music from a USB drive and AUX port in front.

The only bummer bluetooth wize is that it only pairs with one device. JVC is probably going to refresh the line mid year, and it will probably get the ability to pair with two phones.

Oh, yeah, I *never* use the CD player.

In my 2005 Mazda5, I use an XCarLink with an auxiliary port and a USB port. I have a Sony MBR100 bluetooth adapter with its line-out connected to the aux port. The MBR100 is powered by the USB connector from the XCarLink (which itself is powered by the radio) I stream music via bluetooth from my Asus R2H.
This works perfectly and does not suffer from ground noise, since there's no ground loop. (In fact, I use this setup instead of a cable from the Asus R2H to the aux in because that setup suffered from a ground loop that couldn't be solved by using a ground loop isolator)
Only drawback is that when the battery of the MBR100 is fully charged, it does put some noise on the line every few seconds. But that is easily solved by disconnecting the USB cable. The MBR can run for hours on its internal battery.

I wish I had done a bit more homework and gone with the mbr100. I don't know why, but I assumed the belkin came with a battery.

Back