iON Springs Review

CRDMS1

I recently installed the iON Performance Race Spec springs on my MSP. Since then, the car has been aligned and driven hard on the short infield road course at Texas Motor Speedway. Here are my initial thoughts:

Condition:
The springs arrived in fair condition. The fronts and rears were boxed separately in the manufacturer's packaging labeled with part numbers, lot number, etc. My only complaint is the springs were not adequately separated in the box and rubbed off the otherwise nice yellow coating in a couple spots.

Install:
No different than any other aftermarket springs I guess. The notable thing here is that there are no instructions included (I wasn't expecting any). The do-it-yourselfer should possess good or better mechanical skill and have access to a set of tools (see list below). The shop manual will also help you a great deal here. Torque your bolts to spec! The entire job took me about 6 working hours with much of that spent on the @#%$! endlink bolts which were rusted severely.

Looks:
The initial drop was disappointing, especially in the rear. After a quick spin, the rear settled a bit and I ended up with the following approximate measurements from the top of the fenderwell to ground (passing directly over wheel center).

LF Before: 26" After: 24.375"
RF Before: 26.125" After: 24.5"
LR Before: 25.625" After: 24.875"
RR Before: 25.75" After: 25"

So the net result was approximately 1.625" drop in front and 0.75" drop in rear. It's notable that the car is slightly lower unloaded on the driver side (0.125"). This was consistent before and after so no function of the springs but rather the weight distribution of the car. The look is nice with almost no wheel gap in front and a tiny bit in the rear. The rear should settle a bit more over time and balance the look of the car.

Ride Comfort:
The ride is barely but noticeably stiffer than the stock MSP suspension. Not so much that it will impact my daily drive at all. In fact, I was expecting worse. No rubbing tires or hitting bumpstops on the stock wheels whatsoever. It feels like the springs are just barely being dampened by the struts, however, and...speculation follows...I anticipate premature strut failure (as advertised). But hey, I wanted to go adjustable anyway :p

Handling:
Track handling is largely unchanged from stock. Perhaps a degree or two more holding in hard cornering but not much. The car tracks a line well with little body roll, but you already knew that :D I wish I had more to add here, but I don't think you can improve the (already good) handling of this car much without major $$. The lower center of gravity provides a slightly better perspective of the track and it 'feels' more sporty.

Tools and Supplies Required:
Your brain...don't ever work on your car without it :D
Jack stands
Floor jack
Miscellaneous metric sockets, wrenches, and extensions (10 to 21mm)
Possible allen key (hex) for the endlink bolt depending on condition
Possible breaker bar
Spring compressors
Torque wrench (20-100 lb-ft range will be necessary)
Gloves or band-aids...you choose

Summary:
I paid $199+shipping and I'm satisfied so far. I can safely recommend these springs to those who want to achieve a lowered look with slightly stiffer handling. Although I have no personal experience, I think they will probably compare very favorably to other aftermarket options.

I will also provide a 30-day follow up with updated measurements and additional commentary as necessary.

Peace...(hippy)

Last edited:
drumsbeloud said:
what did you pay for them? i dunno, reading your review doesn't really make them sound all that appealing.

Post edited for content. Keep in mind the springs are reviewed from the perspective on an MSP owner and, IMHO, are worth the investment depending on what your priorities are. For track handling you will need to upgrade to a track suspension (coilovers, adjustable struts, etc.) and forget about your daily driving experience. For lowering they are comparable, I'm sure, to other manufacturers.

Peace...(hippy)

Before spring install

I know, the pictures are poor quality but you get the idea...the first pic is BEFORE the springs...

msp%20before%20springs%20side%20s.jpg

Peace...(hippy)

Last edited:
Updated original post with new drop numbers. Almost an even 0.125" additional since I measured 2 days ago.

Peace...(hippy)

Ride quality is only slightly stiffer than stock. I can feel bumps a bit more now, but not so much as to be annoying during my daily commute. At the limits of handling, the performance is similar to stock (for MY driving style).

No bouncing at all, but I can tell the struts are working a little harder now. You shouldn't hear any new noises unless the install is goofed somehow (misaligned/missing/damaged perch seats or mylar strut tower guard).

Peace...(hippy)

ION Sport spec springs

for those who would like a decent drop without having to change struts, the ION sport springs are the best...I think I was the first to have these installed on my P5 about ~2 months ago...

let me tell you that on a P5, you can tell the difference from stock in ride height, stiffness and obviously ride harshness...there is no bounce and it handles better at the limit...I can actually feel the car workeing harder in the corners, since I get a little more tire screech now than when stock...I've noticed about a 10-15 KM/hr increase in my cornering speeds on high speed turns...I'd say about 5 KM/hr on regular turns...although my car is an auto...let me also say that you have to setup the corner differently now too...you setup outside, or for oversteer, but it doesn't, so then you punch it and rear comes around...

I can clearly say that on a P5, if you don't want wheel rub and that tucked look, ION sport spec is the spring for you...

for more info, see the other post for pictures and more commentary...

no problems with the struts...and I can tell you that in Montreal, they take a hell of a beating with the crappy road conditions we have and all the construction going on...

Hey CRDMS1 do you have an update for us on your springs?

What are your impressions after a couple of months?

how are your struts?

jrodhotrod said:
Hey CRDMS1 do you have an update for us on your springs?

What are your impressions after a couple of months?

how are your struts?

Quick update:
I've now put a couple thousand more miles and two or three autox/track events on the springs. My initial comments are still valid with the following additions:

Handling bias has shifted noticeably away from the understeer I experienced in the stock condition with my driving style. I'm now able to hold the line at higher entry speeds than before and get back on the throttle sooner without pushing out.

The car is also MUCH more sensitive to throttle/brake input in the corners, which can be an advantage in the right hands...just not mine :D For example, at an autox this past weekend I was in a LONG sweeper at ~85mph (we tend to have very long and fast courses around here). Preparing to enter a slightly tighter portion of the sweeper, I lifted the throttle a bit too quickly under very mild steering input and the unloaded rear instantly broke free sending me into the longest slide/spin of my life. Oh well, it was the last event for this set of Victos anyway :D

The drop hasn't changed much and the rear is still ever so slightly higher than the front.

The struts are still working fine...no noticeable decrease in damping.

The ride quality is a bit harsh on rough roads and I am hitting the stops over the most severe bumps (I didn't cut mine at all).

Anything else you're interested in? Let me know.

Peace...(hippy)

Have you experienced any rubbing with full loads or 4 passengers in the car?

jrodhotrod said:
Have you experienced any rubbing with full loads or 4 passengers in the car?

Not with the stock wheels. With my race wheels/tires, I get rubbing along the front and rear fenderwell lip ONLY when loaded down with significant weight in passengers and/or gear...but that's not normally a problem :D

For reference, my race wheels are 15x7, +45 offset Kosei K1s shod with 225/50/15 Kumho V700 Victos.

Peace...(hippy)

Nope. I had an alignment a little while after the install and the camber was dead on at -0.5 degrees each side in the front. I don't recall the rear settings, but it wasn't appreciably different than stock. My street tires appear to be wearing evenly, but I only have ~6300 miles on them.

Peace...(hippy)

im nervous about the struts thou....hittin stops isnt good and i drive in the city daily, thru some heavy pot holes and bumps......

Back