Interior Neon Length?

Bones526

:
1999 Mazda Protege
I have a 99 pro sedan, what size neons are good for under the dash on the driver and passenger side, and what size neons are good for under the seats (so that light shines onto the floor in the back)

I want as much light as possible really, but i don't want to run into difficulty getting the lights to fit.

I have 15" neons under each seat. They light up both front and back floors pretty well. No fitment problems either.

i think i'd rather have something under the dash first, then i might add some under the seats later, so do you have any idea about what length would fit under the dash?

Off the top of my head....9 or 12" should be fine on the driver's side

12 or 15" should be good for the pass side.

I'd check underneath first though.

i have a 10" under the dash on driver's side, another 10" under passenger side dsah, and one 10" under each seat, mounted diagonally.

my whole interior flooring is blue with the flip of a switch, both front foot wells, and the back is lit up.

so to answer the question, i will say that 10" tubes are enough.

sweet, i will plan on 10" then.
hey, any tips on the legality of neon lights? i've heard various things about blue and red being illegal, and i've heard other stuff about you can have any color as long as the bulbs aren't showing, but i don't really know. i just don't want to get another ticket :D

Check your local Department of Motor Vehicles website. Most of the list the traffic statutes. It's not fun to read but it's needed if you plan on doing things that *may* be illegal.

I have 15" neons under both the passenger dash and driver dash. I also have two 15" neons under the frnt seats. Just dont buy any neons over 15" and they'll fit.

-DaViper

get cold cathode tubes. they are much thinner and don't have the large ends on them like neons. plus they get just as bright;)

this is where i order from. they all run off 12 volts. if the lights are too bright, a cheap resistor from radioshack is all that is needed;)

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 1,023
  • lights2.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 936
Ive got 7 neons and you cant get in trouble for them unless the bulbs are visible from the outside. i put 2 10" under my dash, 2 10" & 2 6" neons on my console and one 15" in back. next im putting two under my seats and two in my trunk with my 12" subs and wiring them all to the battery.
fun stuff.

How could you even get in trouble having interior neons at all? You can see them no matter what from outside the car when you're driving (if they're under the seats and dash).....and if you get pulled over just turn them off. If the cop somehow sees the neons that are off, just say they are for when you're in a car show, you use them only when parked.....

-DaViper

If any red light is visible from the front of the car, it's illegal.
If any light is visibly alternating from the front the car, it's illegal.
If you guys search for a thread by rt66protege, she had started one about a license plate frame. I looked up the Texas laws there so you may wanna check it out;

www.megalaw.com

great resource. and in many states, ANY lights other than the stock lights are illegal. and yes that means that even fog lights can be considered illegal. in south carolina i was talking to some guys in a car club, and it's now illegal to have ANY blue lights on the car, even if you only turn them on when your car is off and parked. it's bulls***, but it's the law. the guy got a ticket for having blue neons inside his car. he was parked and his car was off and the doors where closed. he went to court to fight it, and the judge explained the new law, and there is nothing you can do about it. thank god i live in florida;)

SC is retarded, i wish i didn't live here. I was planning on getting green though, so that should be legal as long as the bulbs aren't showing right?

The dude at best buy said any neon at all is illegal, but i don't trust him.

i just dont see how if u have a few under the dash that they would ever be visible from outside of the car?? next thing u know- theyll ban cell phones that have a blue glow

hey, you never know, some friends of mine successfully pulled over a car at night by flashing the headlights and holding up a cell phone that had blue flashing lights on it. :D

will sumone post a how-to on what wires to tap under the dash to do 2 of em up there?? ill take a stab at it if sumone will post a decent lil how to

i don't think you tap into any wires under the dash, they have to be wired to the battery and ground just like stereo stuff

Back