Intake

amilliems6

:
MazdaSpeed6
I already have an idea of what intake im going to get but i got a quick question since i just got my car.... is it hard to install an intake by yourself since people been telling me that you need to take off the front bumper or something.. im just curious because to be honest with you i dont really trust a professional shop with my car because i kno they dont care about ur car.. all they care about is to get there work done and get paid which is gay.... so i was just wondering from the guys that installed there intakes

also can an intake void my warranty?

I already have an idea of what intake im going to get but i got a quick question since i just got my car.... is it hard to install an intake by yourself since people been telling me that you need to take off the front bumper or something.. im just curious because to be honest with you i dont really trust a professional shop with my car because i kno they dont care about ur car.. all they care about is to get there work done and get paid which is gay.... so i was just wondering from the guys that installed there intakes

also can an intake void my warranty?

First, welcome. For the intake, depending on which you get, you shouldn't have to take the bumper off. You may, however, need to pull the front drivers wheel and some of the inner fender to put the filter element on there.

Second, they shouldn't void your warranty, but you may have some hassle at certain dealers. Check with yours to see how lenient they are on intakes and mods.

A lot of this info is all over the site, so searching can bring up a ton of info.

...also can an intake void my warranty?

It really varies on how "mod-friendly" your dealership is. By the book yes they can, but its ultimately up to them if they want to let it slide or not.

Installing an intake is not all that bad. If its your first time ever installing anything it could take a few hours. I'm guessing from your name you have a MS6. When I did my intake it took a few hours due to me not being able to find one of the three bolts required to take of part of the stock intake.

Just take it slow, keep track of ALL your parts, and have fun with it. Its your car and the best way to learn about is to work on it. I know I did on my '79 El Camino.

Edit: i need to type faster....

for instance, i just got done bringing my car in and they said that if installed correctly the intake will not void warranty. my guys are real cool about it tho.

My dealership told me that basic stuff (Intake, cat-back, BPV) were ok, unless it was directly related to the problem. The MS CAI is exempt from that, that is covered at my dealer.

The CAI took me 30 minutes to install (my 1st time under hood). The hardest part is jacking the car up and removing the driver side wheel / splash guard. Definately do not remove the bumper like the instructions say. Most dealers wont give you problems but you could always just remove it and replace to stock stuff like I do.

The honest answer is that an intake "can" void your warranty.

No matter how cool you think your service guys happen to be, they are not ALWAYS able to help you. Sometimes, they are at the mercy of Mazda NA reps. I would not, in any way, rely on the service guys telling you that an intake is fine. If you get something like that in writing, you might have a better shot.

Now, people will scream about Magnusson-Moss Act regarding warranties (and say the dealership can't void the warranty unless they prove that the aftermarket part CAUSED the issue)... but that is only an issue if you go to court to try to enforce that on the conditions. If you have issues, and let Mazda void your warranty, then you're done. If you go to court with Mazda, you're also likely done due to resources - generally, Mazda will have more legal resources than most people who would bring suit.

There's a guy on m6club that had his warranty voided for an aftermarket BPV. It happens. It might be fairly rare for something like that, but it does happen.

which intake would you guys prefer... CPE?

COBB COBB COBB. It woke my car up like no other. With the air straightener, the velocity stack, and super dense material it is constructed out of, I can't believe I never had it sooner. It is the only cobb part on my car and so far I am highly impressed. I have had other aftermarket well known intakes on my car that I thought were impressive, but the cobb is closer to perfection by a long shot.

They're not 100% identical, since the MS3 engine compartment is smaller than ours, but it will work. Street_Unit designed a coupler that works better with the MS6 engine, and also carry it. The new CP-E nano looks promising, I might pick up one for winter duty. I like that the MAF housing is metal rather than plastic personally.

A lot of your questions have been discussed, you might have better luck searching for your answers.

CP-E Nano FTW. MS CAI is a great intake as well. I thought I had more top end with the MS CAI but the car seems to run smoother with CP-E. I used the kit for the Speed 3 and it fit fine. Just ran a 45 off of it to get it further from the engine.

For any1 interested in the CP-E extended. Im running a AEM dryflow filter.
25846780151_large.jpg

Last edited:
amillie, i see you are local to me, so if you need any parts, advice, help - let me know!

They're not 100% identical, since the MS3 engine compartment is smaller than ours, but it will work. Street_Unit designed a coupler that works better with the MS6 engine, and also carry it. The new CP-E nano looks promising, I might pick up one for winter duty. I like that the MAF housing is metal rather than plastic personally.

A lot of your questions have been discussed, you might have better luck searching for your answers.

untrue about the cobb coupler being different on ms3 and ms6. both the speed3 and speed6 one are identicle. SU simply made it available in different colors, its the same thing. the only difference you will find between the ms3 and ms6 cobb intake is the filter and mounting bracket, the filter being a little bigger for the ms6 since there is more room to work with and the mounting bracket mounts in a different place than the ms3.

untrue about the cobb coupler being different on ms3 and ms6. both the speed3 and speed6 one are identicle. SU simply made it available in different colors, its the same thing. the only difference you will find between the ms3 and ms6 cobb intake is the filter and mounting bracket, the filter being a little bigger for the ms6 since there is more room to work with and the mounting bracket mounts in a different place than the ms3.

Ah, my mistake. Thank you for clearing that up.

Back