Intake manifold

16Dohcslow

:
00 Protege DX
on protegegarage.com there is a cast single runner intake manifold and I was just wondering, if it would fit the 1.6, because i had some extra money and was thinking of purchasing it

As far as I know, the only real option to getting more HP out of the IM is to visit a machine shop. Have the people there "open up" the manifold a bit. That should help some. Thats my next project after repairing my car a bit.....

Witchdoktor said:
I have a used IM coming to me that I plan on painting. What can be done to it performance wise?

How do you plan on painting the manifold? Wouldn't the paint chip/flake off because of the heat?

from what I searched port and polishing the 1.6 mani would yield minimal gains vs. the cost so I scrapped that idea. I did paint it though only to redo it yet again - lol. Black wrinkle finished paint did not come out anything close to the valve cover I did in wrinkle paint. I ended up cleaning it with degreaser and engine bright, then buffed it with mother's alum polish. It came out clean but not a polished/chrome look, the course surface would need to be smoothed out to get it like that.

TheMAN said:
only upgrade option for the 1.6 is the EDM intake manifold... it has VICS

So how would we be able to control that? And how much does that manifold cost? Where would we be able to find it? Is that a direct swap?

EDM im on it! We have VICS so its not a problem to control it.

But wouldnt we throw a cel due to lack of VTCS which would make us go limp and remove all gains.

zerocover said:
EDM im on it! We have VICS so its not a problem to control it.

But wouldnt we throw a cel due to lack of VTCS which would make us go limp and remove all gains.

Didn't know we had VICS? What exactly is VICS? Does our ECU control the VICS or does something else do the work? If by chance we do get a CEL from the lack of VTCS, I guess the only way to control that would be by getting a "upgraded" ECU. Meaning a piggyback or some kind of other EMS or standalone, right? Something like the piece from AEM?

VICS = good its Variable induction control system its our 2 stage intake manifold. THe ecu controles the cross from long intake to short.

VTCS is garbage put in for emisons reasons. Im sure theres a work aroung like a resistor or something but no ones figured it out yet. Standalone would take care of it.

zerocover said:
VICS = good its Variable induction control system its our 2 stage intake manifold. THe ecu controles the cross from long intake to short.

VTCS is garbage put in for emisons reasons. Im sure theres a work aroung like a resistor or something but no ones figured it out yet. Standalone would take care of it.

So its a good thing that we have VICS but bad that we have VTCS? What would be a good standalone to control the VTCS from the EDM manifold? Know where we could look to get this manifold in? Maybe we get a GI or GB thread up and going if enough interest is shown???

Back