installing HIDs for Canadians with DRL...

Qcpro5

:
2002 Proteg 5
How would this be done? I read the DRL makes the HIDs flicker?

Some suggest grounding the e-brake so it is as always on and the DRLs shut off. But then you are stuck with a red light in the cluster.

Others suggest grounding the HIDs to the chassis so you have 12 volt?

Isn't there a way to have HIDs work as the DRL? Is this a problem?

I'm really lost on this one................

you can make the hids work as drls with a relay harness.
or you could make one for yourself.

Thanks, but not sure I want to screw around with cutting wires and what not with the drl module, sounds easier just going with the relay harness, will look into this.

Last year i've made the easy mod to "obliterate" the DRL so they won't work anymore. but who cares? police don't mind to arrest you for not having DRL around, but they do arrest you if you don't have lights on when it's dark! The mod includes that you can turn on your fog with your parking lights when running! (Look at my sig) badass lookin!

^^^^ that's the way mine are as well. I left my fog switch working too so if I want I can run with just my park lights. I also put my DRL's on a switch so when I need to get my MVI done I just flip the switch and everything is back to stock. I need factory DRL's to pass inspection.

For some reason the relay harness that came with my kit did not stop the flickering from the DRL's. So, for me the easiest thing to do was to ground the HID's to the chasis(this is the black wire that plugs into the cars original headlight plug). I don't mind them running as my DRL's and it was easy to do.

I did not recieve a harness with my HId's so I grounded the black wire and that worked well.when i contacted the place where I got my HID's they gave me the relay harness and that worked as well also. just my 2 cents.™

I just installed my HIDs last week, it flickered at first but then I grounded the negative to the chassis and no flicker :).

HIDs will act as normal lights even with only DRL on, works great.

If you want, i'll take some pictures as to where I grounded it and how.

What temperature did you get?

maniac 2oo4 Please post pics.

For my part, I got the Apexcone/DDM 35W slim kit with 5000K bulbs, works awesome!!

But I sometimes forget to switch ON the lights before releasing the e-brake so it flickers...

maniac 2oo4 Please post pics.

For my part, I got the Apexcone/DDM 35W slim kit with 5000K bulbs, works awesome!!

But I sometimes forget to switch ON the lights before releasing the e-brake so it flickers...

That's EXACTLY the kit I got on mine, except its 6000K, and grounding it to chassis will solve your problem, i'll try to take some pics tomorrow for ya.

I'd like to see some pictures as well as I'm not so good with rewiring stuff and having to cut and crimp.

Alright, so i got some pictures, but they're not that easy to understand.
I would've liked to take clearer shots but I wasn't readyto unwire and we-wire the whole thing for the pics.

First pic is passenger side,
second and third is driver side.

In all pictures,

1. Is where I decided to mount the ballast (it came with double-sided stickytape but I decided to add some hot glue for good measure)

2. is where you connect the HID kit to the original connector. (I haven't figured out a way to isolate it better than dozens of turns of black tape.. any suggestions?)

3. Is where I decided to ground it to the chassis get 12V (NO FLICKER!) You can choose any place, test it with a multimeter to make sure it's chassis. I chose screws cause you can just roll the wire around and screw it back tight so it's pretty easy to do.

4.Is where I tied everything up to keep it tidy and in one place.

Hope it helps, let me know what you think.

PS. Yeah it's pretty nasty in there, I just had my rustproofing done so there's oil everywhere and on everything.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0860.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0860.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 355
  • Copy of IMG_0862.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0862.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 300
  • Copy of IMG_0864.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0864.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 283
Thankyou, new little weekend project hehe. Yeah, I just had mine oil treated aswell and it's messy in the engine bay :(

Latest posts

Back