installed TRZ poly + Engine Torque Damper (review+tips)

buttdart

:
2008 mazdaspeed 3
my car just hit 16k and i decided it was time for a few more mods.
current mods:
cobb sri
shifter bushings
gutted 2nd cat
corksport MM inserts

i finally bought a TWM STS, engine torque damper, and the TRZ poly to replace the CS inserts.

the the TWM won't arrive until tomorrow but i decided to install both the TRZ and ETD this past saturday. (mad props to ken at PG for hooking me up on all three parts!)

the TRZ installed took just a few minutes since my buddy has a lift. we removed the three bolts on the tranny arm in order to make the install super quick and easy.

i kind of wish i hadn't installed the ETD right away, so i could give a review of JUST the TRZ, but that wasn't the case.

next came the ETD. to be honest, the install did have a few hiccups. like mentioned in ken's how-to make sure to support the engine. we nearly stripped one of the studs because they want to bind if you don't support at just the right angle.

TIP ON INSTALLING ETD = bolt up the damper to the front mount BEFORE installing the mount to the side of the engine. there is VERY little room to install the nuts under the front mount once it's in place. also, make sure to run the smaller AC line UNDER the top of the mount.

once everything was all installed it was time for a test drive.

i started the car and thought umm holy cow, it's loud in here. i could hear the clutch engaging and gears going into place. like someone else said, it's like putting a stethoscope from your engine into the cabin. some people might not like this noise, and i'm not sure if it's more from the MM or the ETD, but either way, i like it.

at first i was hearing a rattle from the glovebox that sounded like a smaller washer on plastic vibrating and bouncing around. i emptied the glovebox and the sound was still there. i checked everything that was installed, still a slight rattle. i'm not sure where it went, but it seems to be gone. more to come on this.

overall impressions of this combo - impressive. normally when i would shift into 2nd gear around a corner and punch it, i would just get wheelspin. now what i get is a crazy loud car that wants to do nothing more than grip the pavement.

i can't wait to install the TWM STS tomorrow night. :D

questions, let me know.

ooohh, the fit between the bracket and the oil cap on the ETD is terrible. my oil cap rubs and got scratched pretty bad when trying to bend the bracket a bit. if the bracket was bent 1-2 degrees, it would be better. no joke, i can't remove my oil cap until i use a breaker bar and bend the bracket over as i remove the cap. :(

I guess I'm not getting the ETD if its going to be that loud. I know what you mean by wanted to do more than grip the pavement tho. When I installed my TRZ poly...byebye wheelhop. But good stuff nonetheless

Back