Installed HID Fogs...

Element

Found the OEM fogs to be useless in my 08 MS3 so I added HIDs to them. I switched my fogs to 3000K Yellow HIDs and also pulled out the metal tab that was in place. Much more usable light now.

PC243603.jpg

PC243602.jpg

Wow...looks really good. I used the cheap luminics. I wish they were that bright. I'm sure snow helps with the saturation tho. Did it take long to install?

They look like they're actually useful now!
How'd you get them to go on without the headlights?

Wow...looks really good. I used the cheap luminics. I wish they were that bright. I'm sure snow helps with the saturation tho. Did it take long to install?

I had regular bulbs before as well and they were nowhere as bright or as yellow. The snow does help some, but I should take a pic on a dry road at night and you will the saturation is pretty much identical.

Looks great! I wanted to do something very similar. I'd also be interested to know how long it took.

The hardest part was removing the metal tabs inside the foglights. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and compressed the tab until it was small enough to come out. You have to be careful as the metal can actually scratch off the reflective finish inside the housing.

The HIDs themselves were plug and play and the hardest part is making the wiring look clean. It took all of 30 minutes to install the HIDs and thats because I am anal about wiring.

Last edited:
so im guessing you don't have the gt model then...cuz last i saw there is no howto for the gt's

I have a Canadian MS3 which only came in the GT trim and yes there is a how to. There are actually two methods. One is the firewall wire method, and the second is the jumper method. I prefer the jumper method because it is easily reversible with no evidence left behind.

there is a how to for the GT which requires you to put a wire through the firewall and such

http://www. mazda 3forums .com/index.php?topic=11730.0]

There is an alternative method that requires a simple jumper wire in the fuse box under the hood. Saves the hassle of running a wire through the firewall and doesn't require splicing into the factory harness.

There is an alternative method that requires a simple jumper wire in the fuse box under the hood. Saves the hassle of running a wire through the firewall and doesn't require splicing into the factory harness.

Hey element, can you show me where the how-to is? Also, what metal tabs on the fogs did you adjust? Did you adjust the height of your foglight beams?

Hey element, can you show me where the how-to is? Also, what metal tabs on the fogs did you adjust? Did you adjust the height of your foglight beams?

If you look in your foglight housings you will see a metal cylinder. I removed those.

I can't link directly but here are the pics showing what needs to be done. You will remove the fog light relay and then will be adding in the purple wire with spade connectors. I know that the car this is being done on is not an MS3 but rather a regular Mazda3 with OEM HIDs there are a number of MS3 GT owners that have done this and found it works great! Your fog lights also stay on for about 5 seconds after you turn your car off and then shut off with this mod. The nice thing is that it is easily reversible back to stock for those dealership visits.

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

Last edited:
can I ask how you got the little metal piece out of the fogs?

EDIT: Nevermind I just read your post from earlier and found it. -thanks

Latest posts

Back