Inner and outer Mazda5 tie rod replacement (smiley)

:
BMW M3 / Mazda5
Am I right that this is an easy job? Haven't seen any 5-specific DIYs yet but it looks super simple to me – like 1 hour tops for a half-decent shop to replace both sides. But I just had a shop estimate 4.5 hours ($989.78 in labor alone!) for this job. I know book time is almost always an overestimate but this seems nuts to me. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Wow. I'm in the wrong business... It is easy as cake and a standard job. If you want to make the outer rod job easier, I suggest using the free loaner ball joint forks. Insert two into the ball joint at opposite ends and a simple press will separate them without any effort. I haven't replace the inner rod (too lazy, don't' think I need too and got them prematurely) but should be the same as Mz3.

Former 2ng gen owner with vid on axle, tie rod, and some other helpful topics.

Wow. I'm in the wrong business... It is easy as cake and a standard job. If you want to make the outer rod job easier, I suggest using the free loaner ball joint forks. Insert two into the ball joint at opposite ends and a simple press will separate them without any effort. I haven't replace the inner rod (too lazy, don't' think I need too and got them prematurely) but should be the same as Mz3.

Former 2ng gen owner with vid on axle, tie rod, and some other helpful topics.
Thanks, @Silentnoise713 !

Latest posts

Back