Infotainment System Bugs

It is unlikely that any "legally-inspired" features will be changed, so don't get your hopes up. Also, keep in mind that voice recognition accuracy is almost always directly related to ambient noise levels. This is true of cell phone voice recognition, as well. So the higher your vehicle speed, the less likely you will be happy with the results unless you raise your voice level, accordingly. My best results happen when my car is stopped or traveling slowly.

Mazda will probably not add sound insulation to their vehicles, at least for this generation of 3s.

Mazda will probably not add sound insulation to their vehicles, at least for this generation of 3s.

Very true statement about the voice recognition. Some commands it performs flawlessly when stopped, but don't even come close when I try to use them without nearly shouting on the interstate. This doesn't bother me all that much.

As for adding sound insulation, how effective would adding sound insulation (ie - dynamat or similar) be at quieting down the road noise? The 3s is still quieter overall than my 2007 Civic Coupe, but having a quieter ride to enjoy the Bose system would be nice...and maybe it would even help with the voice recognition issues others complain about.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Many C5 Corvette guys have had success with road noise reduction by installing dynomat under the carpet, but I believe the largest reductions came from installing insulation behind the wheel well panels. I've always wondered how much more weight this stuff would add. It can't be THAT much. Isn't the Ford Focus noticeably quieter?
Toyota really has sound deadening down in their Camry. That thing is like a hearse! Maybe Mazda should take one apart and learn from the experience.
So for now, we take my wife's Lexus for long trips, but for city and shorter distance highway driving, I much prefer my 3 and MX5.

If Corvette owners have noise issues, I'd be pissed. lol. Nonetheless, they can easily afford any mods to their cars. However, make no mistake, adding sound deadener like dynomat does add up to the weight of the car.

Most cars now have so much undercoat protection and rustproof protection, it was mentioned to me that adding aftermarket undercoating is a waste of money. It's also very hard to inject any more of that compound into the tight areas of the car.

Mazda has always been atrocious in terms of road noise. Camray is more of a luxury car and Toyota realizes that sound deadening is important, as do North America car manufacturers. Also, with the Camray you can't negotiate the price of the car. So you're paying a premium for it, at least in North America.

Last edited:
I would point out that not all Corvette drivers have loads of money. There are typically two types of Corvette owners: (1) wealthy drivers who buy them as a "slumming" car; and (2) normal working class stiffs who save up and finally get their dream car. I suspect many in that second class cannot afford to do whatever they want to their Corvettes.

I don't agree with the statement that "Mazda has always been atrocious in terms of road noise." Many of us driving enthusiasts prefer to have that greater connection to the driving experience. I think Mazda strikes a good balance between weight and noise suppression. I don't like driving cars that are too isolated, whether it's road and wind noise or steering feel. I know I'm not the only one. One of the car magazine editors said that same thing about the first gen Mazda3 in a full review of the car--that he liked the balance it struck. And, yes, that sound deadening material adds a lot of weight when used prodigiously. Car manufacturers today work hard to shave just a few ounces off of each component. Adding another 50 pounds of sound deadening is a big deal.

To give you an idea of what sound insulation costs in terms of added weight, the 2014 Ford Focus 4-door sedan (2.0L) weighs in at 2907 lbs, whereas the 2.0L Mazda 3 weighs in at 2800 lbs. The big questions are:
1. Is 100 lbs an acceptable tradeoff for a much quieter car?
2. How much difference in fuel mileage will there be because of the extra 100 lbs?
3. How much difference in handling performance will there be?

Obviously, BMW 3 series cars are quiet AND handle well. Fuel mileage isn't up to the 3's level, but acceleration is well beyond. I guess the bottom line is that everything is a tradeoff in some way or another. I think if I had to drive 1 hour on the highway, each way to work, I may have chosen another car. However, I'm glad my commute is no more than 20 minutes, as I REALLY enjoy both my MX5 and 3 as daily drivers.

I don't agree with the statement that "Mazda has always been atrocious in terms of road noise." Many of us driving enthusiasts prefer to have that greater connection to the driving experience. I think Mazda strikes a good balance between weight and noise suppression. I don't like driving cars that are too isolated, whether it's road and wind noise or steering feel. I know I'm not the only one. One of the car magazine editors said that same thing about the first gen Mazda3 in a full review of the car--that he liked the balance it struck.

That's the same mindset Harley Davidson owners have. They deliberately remove the factory diffuser and have their motorcycle be a nuisance because of the loud muffler. Then again, the Mazda3 isn't a Harley or some great German or Italian import where one normally would want to have a connection with their car. To each their own.

iPhone 5 running iOS 8.0.2 and infot. v33 don't work together. Paired but no phone calls, no sms, no music or whatsoever. Waiting for iOS 8.1 on Monday.

My iphone 5 running iOS 7.1.2 works perfectly fine.
Every single function works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would probably be easier to start a list of devices that DO work with the infotainment than the devices that don't.
Agreed. The same listing should also include exactly what features work and what doesn't. No doubt, in other markets (outside North America) it may be different. One cannot compare non North American Infotainment with that inside North America.

Ok, my infotainment is japanese.
That could be the reason why it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yepiii,... Have to say that since iOS 8.1 and v.33 both talking together now. Can call over bluetooth and stream the music. Will see if I can receive sms and emails. Well done.

I never had any issues with BT per se and streaming music. Even with V30 with the Infotainment system. It's all the other features like SMS,email, garbled text (if it downloads it) and occasional unresponsiveness after being connected for a while via BT.

Last edited:
Is there a way to get the root menu folder to come up when using a Note 2 over bluetooth ? Right now it will stream fine over bluetooth but I have to use my phone to select artists or albums. this is on a 2015 Mazda 3 sport GS.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
Just had a service yesterday and asked them to update MZD (from the original version, not sure what it was, but it had a few bugs). It's been updated to 33.00.500 and now I find that every time I start MZD it does not remember that music was in shuffle mode. If you set shuffle to on, it plays ok, but then forgets it was in shuffle mode on the next restart.
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Regards,
Dundzy

Once in a while, my Sirius selection switches to a preset FM station while my car is parked in the garage, overnight. It's happened, twice in 2 months.

Once in a while, my Sirius selection switches to a preset FM station while my car is parked in the garage, overnight. It's happened, twice in 2 months.
Mine (v28) occasionally does something similar with CDs. I'll start the car, it will play the CD for a second or two, then switch to FM. Perhaps this problem has been around for a little while.

I can't speak to the SXM thing, I let that go after the trial period. Between FM/HD radio, CDs, and a 32GB flash drive containing mp3s of every album I have, SXM just isn't worth it to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back