Improving thump w/o cabinet subwoofer?

hanshananigan

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hi All,

I recently replaced my HU and front door speakers on my 2002 P5 with two purchases from Crutchfield:

JVC-KD-HDR44: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDHDR44/JVC-KD-HDR44.html?search=JVC_KD-HDR44&skipvs=T

Infinity Reference 6822cf: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086822CF/Infinity-Reference-6822cf.html?tp=105

Definitely an improvement over stock, but I don't feel like I'm quite there... the problem is that (regardless of HU settings) I just can't get a satisfying "thump" out of the speakers. I don't need anything crazy, and being a family guy, can't do a sub cabinet. I would be happy to simply have a sound as good as my wife's stock 6-speaker set up in her 2006 Vue. Any advice?

Thanks!

One way to help maximize the equipment you and and reduce the road noise with out adding an enclosure, is to do some sound deadening. I strongly suggest SoundDeadenerShowdown.com. The low end frequency response of the stock system in my 2003 P5 improved dramatically. This is due to more sound staying inside the vehicle, less entering from the outside and less wasted in vibration of body panels.

Definetely check that site posted above, he's an awesome guy and he sells a good product. Lots of info as well.

I found a drastic difference by amping the speakers (ie wiring a 2 channel amp for the front speakers).
Short of a sub, you could seal the doors making them an effective box for the speaker you already have.
A dedicated subwoofer is the best way to go, just be creative with your placement :)

Definetely check that site posted above, he's an awesome guy and he sells a good product. Lots of info as well.

I found a drastic difference by amping the speakers (ie wiring a 2 channel amp for the front speakers).
Short of a sub, you could seal the doors making them an effective box for the speaker you already have.
A dedicated subwoofer is the best way to go, just be creative with your placement :)

So, I have the foam speaker enclosures installed, but I guess more sealing/deadening would be useful.

Amping... I didn't consider that my new HU (20 watts RMS, 50 watts peak) would underpower my speakers (2-60 watts RMS, 180 watts peak), but the numbers don't lie! Any recommendations for amps and/or suggestions for further mazdas247 threads I should read would be greatly appreciated!

What is your budget?

Apparently, about $30,000! In the end, we bought a new CX-9 and sold the P5 to a friend for her son. I still have pangs of regret and guilt, but it was time to part. I did, however, give him the URL for mazdas247.com!

Back