I'm going to do it.. the p5 will be retired

Masshole

:
2002.5 Protege5
i'm going to trade in both my p5 and my a6 wagon for one of 2 new cars. I've decided that much already... there's no stopping that part...

now i just have to decide between a nicely equipped subaru forester
or a base subaru legacy wagon...

so torn.

forester. i love the legacy's, but if you're going to get it base, i'd rather have a nicely equiped forester.

dude, how you gonna trade a P5 AND an A6 for just a non-turbocharged subaru?(uhm)

are you trying to do an event trade? Seriously, think about a forester XT(23K) or a Legacy GT(26K)

The a6 is too much hassle... repairs are REDICULOUSLY expensive and require oddball tools that nobody has. I had 11 mechanics REFUSE to even touch the car!

As for the new car... I'm going to toy with the idea of a Forester XT at the dealership... but i dont know if i want to deal with the hassle of a turbo.. this car is for my wife too and we really dont need anything fast; i just need something good in the winter and safe for my family.

Masshole said:
but i dont know if i want to deal with the hassle of a turbo.. this car is for my wife too and we really dont need anything fast; i just need something good in the winter and safe for my family.

the car is only as fast as you drive it ... if you buy a non turbo you will regret it later ...

Yes! This is why I did not buy an Audi. When I had my previous Jetta in for work I asked the guys at the shop about A4 and A6s. They told me about all the problems, high prices of parts and recommended I buy Japanese if I wanted something reliable. An honest repair shop! (shocked) ;)

I also looked at Foresters. The handling is no where near as good as the P5.

Good luck with your choice. :)

you will hate yourself after one month if you buy an N/A subie and not a turbo one ;)

reliability is the same...

I have an 01 Forester S with ~50K miles. It is a very good, reliable family car. Obviously, it's a world of difference from the p5. It feels like driving a brick: heavy and compact. It definitely handles ok for what it is. In case your going AT, I would check to see if they fixed the crappy shifting on later models. In certain situations, it takes a long time before shifting which I find EXTREMELY annoying. Seems to always happen when speeding up after slowing down to less than 20 mph or when you hit the gas hard.

40K on my A4 and no problems so far. Been autocrossing it for 2 years now and not a thing wrong. I'd go for the Volvo V70R wagon! You can't get any safer than a Volvo. And 300HP turbo! Come on!!
Van

Masshole said:
i'm going to trade in both my p5(shocked) and my a6 wagon (understandable) for one of 2 new cars.
Bye. :(

Last edited:
Masshole said:
now i just have to decide between a nicely equipped subaru forester
or a base subaru legacy wagon...

so torn.
Maybe you could get the best of both worlds if Subaru would release the Forester STI in the states...

Vanimaniac said:
40K on my A4 and no problems so far. Been autocrossing it for 2 years now and not a thing wrong. I'd go for the Volvo V70R wagon! You can't get any safer than a Volvo. And 300HP turbo! Come on!!
Van
i agree. the new volvos are awesome.

I would go for a loaded Forester as opposed to the base Legacy. I once had a base model car with no options...got sick if it and traded it in 8 months later... (shocked)

Latest posts

Back