Idle relearn?

Wink24

I recently changed the battery in my 2006 Mazda 5 and since
then the cars idle has been pretty wild. Usually the idle after start is fine but when in drive and foot is moved from the accelerator the engine wants to run bouncing between 250 and 750 rpm then sometimes will die. I'm not sure if the problem is related to the battery change (ie. Need to relearn idle) or if this is a new problem not associated with the battery at all. And info would be appriciated.

Manual or auto? Our manual has had no problems, and I have had the battery out 3X. Since most everyone here with an 06-07 has replaced their batteries, I suppose the topic would have come up by now if it were common. Does it trip the CEL?

It's an automatic and I get no CEL. In fact even when the engine is idling bad I get no light so right this second I'm letting run in drive at idle hoping the PCM will learn what idle is supposed to be again, I also let it warm up in park before doing the idle in drive.

It's SOP to let your car idle for at least 5 minutes after disconecting the battery.

I'm pretty sure I did let it idle for five minutes after the install but aparently not, after I let it warm up in park at idle I then put it in drive and let it idle for another 5 minutes now it seems to be running perfect. Thanks to all that replied!

Hmm, this is exactly the problem I am having. I have a 2006 Mazda 5 Automatic. Had its battery replaced and have had it stall quite a few times while driving including once when I was going down hill and have brakes die on me because of the engine stall!!

I recently changed the battery in my 2006 Mazda 5 and since
then the cars idle has been pretty wild. Usually the idle after start is fine but when in drive and foot is moved from the accelerator the engine wants to run bouncing between 250 and 750 rpm then sometimes will die. I'm not sure if the problem is related to the battery change (ie. Need to relearn idle) or if this is a new problem not associated with the battery at all. And info would be appriciated.

what about throttle calibration? Like turn ignition switch to On (don't crank the engine),
step 'normally' on the gas pedal until it bottoms to the floor, release gas pedal.. turn off the the ignition key. Then do the process the second time.

I googled it long time ago. In some way, it has some effect in the 'feel' of the car.

Whoa I missed this thread,.. (pow)

Yes, that is auto 101 stuff guys anytime after the battery is total disconnected, hook back-up, keep car in park and idle for 5+ minutes, and DON'T touch anything, don't turn on or off the A/C, Put the car in drive, roll down the windows, anything.

Peace!(rei)

Hi.Many times I have disconnected that battery.

I know the problem with idle. Just wait 800 - 1000 km and car learn it self.

Sometimes It go ok after a while ...Sometimes not.

Anyway just wait.

You're right xiqueuba. It took a while and now it's gone.

Just an fyi. Depending on how fast you move, I replaced the battery without having the ECU re-learn. I guess the CPU had enough juice to retain it's memory. However, because my CEL or MIL went on, I disconnected the battery and held the break for a minute to discharge all the energy out.

The computer re-learn process is below. I found it last night:

ignition in "on" position for 1 minute (engine off)
ignition in "off" position for 1 minute
start the engine and let idle for 15 minutes

Back