IAT Sensor ... unplugged?

671_p5

:
Protege 5
Oki doks ... I have been experimenting with my IAT sensor (since I took out my airbox and replaced it with a filter). And when its unplugged during autocross sessions it feels a whole lot more torquier. I get more wheel spin in corners does anyone know if I'm actually loosing out on power or gaining???

this has nothing to do with the IAT sensor. but i unplugged the plug underneath my driver side seat (the one that turns the seat belt light on and off) and when its unplugged the airbag light stays on for a long time. if the seat belt isnt on, does the airbag turn off?
i plugged it back in, i was just wondering what plug did

^gotcha. mines an 02, i still thought it was weird that one plug would trigger the airbag light

it measures the wieight in the seat, the airbag won't deploy if its under a certain weight. Just like some cars when there is no passenger there is no warning light, but as soon as someone sits in the passenger side the seat belt light and or buzzer will come on.

Matt

when the iat is unplugged, it does trigger a cel and a battery light on the dash. I forgot to plug mine in once and it did this.

I just had to throw in my 2 cents about the airbags. I got in a wreck in my 03.5 P5. It was just me in the car and both bags popped, and only had minimal front end damage????

kudakev615 said:
how is it trigger a battery light? no way possible

Actually it does. The battery will not charge without the IAT sensor pluged in. I was told that the sensor (this may not be true) is kinda used as an engine bay temputure monitor for the battery. Your Bat. acts differently under different temps. The sensor tells the ECU a ruff bay temp and then the ECU adjusts the way the alternator charges the batter based on this data. I dont know all the fine details I just was told this is a Ford thing.

now that its been explained that way, it makes sense. after working on cars for a couple of years now thats a new one to me. learn something new everyday. i stand corrcted

reynoldsrobbie said:
I just had to throw in my 2 cents about the airbags. I got in a wreck in my 03.5 P5. It was just me in the car and both bags popped, and only had minimal front end damage????
yea idt our seats measure our weight. i think that plug tells the car if the seat belt is on or not, and i think if your seat belt isnt on the airbag wont go off. idk, but im not gonna **** with that anymore. id hate to have my airbags not go off if i ever get in an accident (like i almost did today when my car went sideways in the snow)

Last edited:
Blackrose said:
Actually it does. The battery will not charge without the IAT sensor pluged in. I was told that the sensor (this may not be true) is kinda used as an engine bay temputure monitor for the battery. Your Bat. acts differently under different temps. The sensor tells the ECU a ruff bay temp and then the ECU adjusts the way the alternator charges the batter based on this data. I dont know all the fine details I just was told this is a Ford thing.
ROFL Looks like I better only unplug it during autocross no wonder my interior light dimming is getting worse and worse even only using a 50x4 player it still dims at 80% of the players volume.(omg) But I have been using my car without it unplugged for a good 4 months and its still running so it must be charging somewhat...

most airbags are designed to go off at just above 5mph. I don't know the specifics for our car, but it would be interesting to know.

Back