I want to Seafoam but dont know how

amillman2

:
Mazdaspeed6
Is there any way that any of you guys could describe to me how to sea foam my car if i have NO idea what im doing.. i know cars fairly well i have my asc for brakes but engine.. yea.. not so much.. so this would be very helpful.. ive seen cars smoke like crazy at only 10,000 miles.. and mine has 19,000 so id like to get this done.. also the next time someone does this to their car.. a HOW-TO would be great. Thanks.

SeaFoam

Use the search function...there is a ton of info on it.

I did it, and it's actually really easy...I freaked when mine started smoking (much like all mazdaspeed owners do, when they first see smoke), but it's really no big deal. I didn't change out anything other than the oil after it was done. I've heard that some change out plugs and such, but I had no issues. My car has 40K on it right now, I seafoamed it about 3K ago.

Just don't do it in an enclosed area.....SMMMMMOOOOOKKKKKE!

Long story short, you pull the hose next to the brake reservoir, put about 1/2-2/3 of the Seafoam in an open top container, and allow it to get sucked in through that hose (brake booster). Let it sit for 10 minutes, start it back up, but don't connect the hose quite yet (you'll pull any remaining SF out of the tube). Shut it off again, re-connect the hose, then start the car and let it idle and watch the smoke pour out.

Make sure to turn the HVAC totally off (Off + recirc), or your car will smell like ass following the treatment.

Damn, I should have just done it that way ^^^^. I did the 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the crankcase, and 1/3 in the booster.....I like steve's version better.

Does it do the same thing regardless of method?

I don't use it in the oil at all, because you have to change it shortly after you put it in. Aside from the tank and brake booster, that's it. I've also done it with 2 cans, one in each area. Speaking of, it's due for another cleaning.

so i called my mazda dealership to see if they would seafoam my car for me and they said they dont know what sea foam is.. but they use a 3M product that cleans the injectors and intake, and someother stuff.. is this the same thing??

what your dealer is talking bout is basically a three/four part service setup.
this is the typical but not always the standard in each shop.
bottle 1) fuel sys additive poured in the fuel tank

bottle 2) is a liquid that is poured into high pressure canister( air pressure dif to each model of vehicle) which is then hooked into your fuel rail or direct injection system(in place of fuel line). car is then started taking liquid from high pressure canister until empty and car stalls out.
fuel line then reconnected and fuel system pressurized.

optionals in the more expensive "fuel sys cleaning service"
bottle 3) MAF cleaner spray (radio shack special to me)
bottle 4) oil additive that is simaliar in app to marvels mys oil

btw, the dealer will charge u at least 75usd for the service, the chemical bundle we buy is around 40usd our cost. the canister is over 300 from matco/cornwell/snapon(they all sell the same one) plus the nozel master kit is round 250.
We do the service at a typical 150 or so, depending on what else is being done to the car, could b more or less.

Last edited:
so does this have the same results as a seafoam treatment.

i have honestly never used seafoam and we dont use it in our shop nor do we stock it.
Every 6 months/or mileage i do my vehicles at home with chemicals from my shop, since i already have the tools and all. What i can tell you though, the service from the shop increases my mileage/throttle response (IF they have gone down or lagging).

I do seafoam on my vehicles about every 6 months as well. Seafoam works very well, you just have to be careful, you can do some damage to your engine.

The best way to make sure that you get your intake clean is to have the motor warm, and find a vacuum source closet to your throttle body. This is where you are going to inject the seafoam. You want to get as close to your throttle body as you can so that the seafoam mixes evenly through out your intake.

I would go to your autoparts store and pick up some clear windshield washer hose (couple of bucks).

Have the engine running, warm and at idle. Turn off the engine, connect the washer hose to the vacuum port nearest the throttle body and use a pair of vise grips, needle nose kind to pinch off the hose nearest the can of seafoam.

Start the engine back up, and let it idle. Make sure you have all loads turned off - A/C, radio and what not. Slowly unclamp the vise grips unitl you see a small flow of seafoam from the can into the hose to the intake. If your car dies, then clamp off and restart.
The trick is not to have the engine die, make sure it stays running while the seafoam is being sucked it. It will probaly run rough, but that is ok. If you dump too much seafoam in you can hydrolock your engine.

It should take about 10-15mins to empty the entire can into your intake.
Once the can is empty, shut off the engine and let it sit. I usually let it sit for 45mins to an hour.

Now, when you start it up, make sure you have the air off, windows up and garage door closed and car outside for this. It will smoke, and It will smoke bad!!! I have had people stop outside my house and ask me if my house was on fire.

It will be kinda hard to start at first, but you need to keep it running once it does start. I usually hold it at 2500 for about 3 mins, let it idle and then go and drive it to blow all the carbon out.

You will probaly get a check engine light for a misfire code, but that is ok. Once you have driven it for 10-15mins, shut it off, disconnect your battery and let the computer reset and relearn itself after you have done the de-carb.

I don't think I left anything out (hope not)

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions. I just might do a how to with a vid of this next go around...

a how to video would be awsome.. i have no idea where the vac hose is.. thats my only problem.. i would do half the can in the vac hose and half in the tank.. ive herd the best things about that method.

ive been on there searching and i found a whole bunch of mustangs.. a few MS3's and a regular 6 but no MS6's ... off to youtube..

are there any sf haters out there that want to chime in? i have heard nothing but good things so far and there has to be a dark side...

Back