I think my Wolo horns suck

FiftySix

Contributor
:
2013 Mazda5 Sport AT
I think my Wolo horns suck (or maybe not) (yep, still do)

Back when I got my 5 a few months ago, I replaced the weak and hidden Mazda factory FIAMM horn with a set of Wolos from the local autoparts store. Geez, these Wolos are unpredictable.

When I don't need them, they both fire and sound great. When I need them, the low horn cuts out. Great.

Last edited:
I'll put that on my to do list once I check it out a bit further. Thanks. :)

You know, I would never have thought anything of the horn until I read your original post about how weak they are. Every time I use the horn I am reminded how weak they truly are. Thanks for that! Not sure it annoys me enough to get off my ass and fix it, but, annoys me it does.

Will do. I will try and find a nice sounding low tone horn to add to my high pitched factory one.
Then use a relay and fuse to supply straight battery power to the horns. (dance)

A how to would be nice for those of us that are auto electric impaired :)

hornbutton2.gif

What's weird is when the outside temperature warms to above 65 F or so, the horns work great. (confused)

Oh well, I've already bought a 12VDC relay, a fuse holder, fuse, and some more wire. Maybe I'll get it done on Saturday. :p

Last edited:
Well, all those horn wiring diagrams linked above are drawn for those that don't use the Mazda circuit after the fuse/relay box.

Below is the wiring diagram that works by using the same wire that powers the original Mazda horn where the horn is mounted. This uses the single Mazda horn wire to switch the add on horn relay. In my 5, the Mazda horn wire lead is marked with a piece of yellow tape, so I marked the diagram with yellow accordingly.

I got it all set up in my 5 today. Testing this week on the road is to follow, but so far the horns work.

(You'll probably have to be logged in to see this diagram I made up.)

attachment.php

Last edited:
Some pics. The Wolo horns are dirty because they've seen 5000 or 6000 miles of road time.

(Still have to be logged in to see.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've had some traffic testing time today with the relay supplied Wolos.

So far, so good.

Y'all are smarter than me for knowing to install a horn relay when you replace your horns. (bow)

Alrighty, even though the horn relay has made the Wolo horns more consistent, there is still a difference in sound depending on the temperature.

This morning with temps in the low 40s F, the horns were steady but aren't as full sounding as they were this afternoon with temps around 70 F.

The PIAAs on my last car never did have a fullness variance due to temperature in all 9 years they were in use. Those PIAAs never had a horn relay added either.

EDIT: Looking up the specs, the Wolos are rated at 4 amps each and PIAAs are rated at 2.7 amps each with equal claims at 115 decibels for each horn. I'm not sure how far away the decibel measurements are made from each horn.

Last edited:
Another day on the road, another day testing the Wolos, and they still have problems.

I tossed my receipt and packaging months ago, so I guess I get to eat these horns.

Time for another set of PIAAs I guess.

Seriously, you are from Texas, there has got to be something out there that will make you proud? Just have to look in the right junkyard? And or marine salvage yard!

Lol! :D

I haven't bought a junkyard horn in years. My second car was an used '68 Beetle. I put a junkyard horn from a Chrysler New Yorker in that Beetle. :D

Back