I need some PC help too...

protegeV

:
Mazda...uh, something
Okay, the other few boards I tried this on didnt do jack swuat for me so lets see if anyone here has any ideas.

My old computer was FUBAR so I wiped the hard drive, still wouldnt load and a buddy told me the BIOS in the motherboard might be bad so I swapped the hard drive into another compouter my dad let me have. Mind you both computers are Dells. I also upgraded the Ram from 128mb to 512mb. I put the cleaned HD in and reinstalled windows, sp2, dirvers, etc. I have comcast cable internet(8mbps I think) and the internet is slow as balls. Programs seem to load right up, but the internet sucks. Pictures take forever to load and I cant download anything or it slows down to like 8bps(thats right Bps, not Mbps)and says its going to take 2 days.

I cant figure out why the internet is so slow. If I plug my dad's laptop into my modem its fine. Both processors in the 2 comps are the same so the only difference is I now have 4x as much RAM and the thing is slow as crap.

Any ideas?

video card drivers might be bad as well, or never updated, could cause pictures and what not to load really slow, as for the network card, if u had the wrong drivers installed it wouldnt work period, are u the master computer on the network? is it a wireless network is it secured?

it is not a wireless network. I have the computer plugged right into the modem via ethernet cable. Its not only pictures that load slow. Certain websites(like this one) take almost a minute to load pages even when there arent any pictures, just icons and such.

Like I said, If I plus my dad's laptop into the same ethernet cable the internet is blazing fast. Would it have anything to do with the network card in the computer?

be sure to download the correct driver from the dell website, NOT the windows assigned driver.

I'll have to try that...I hope its a small file. I tried to download something under 2mb yesterday and after waiting 5 mins it said 1% done and like 12hours left(eek2)

could be a bad network card, or a bad pci slot too try switching PCI slots unless the card is built into the board, then disable it through the bios and install a new one

could be a bad network card, or a bad pci slot too try switching PCI slots unless the card is built into the board, then disable it through the bios and install a new one
and we have a winner. Im not super computer savvy but I did install the ram cards and a USB 2.0 card myself as well as formatting and setting up the HD...But I cant believe I never thought of the PCI card. I swapped in the one from the other computer and now Im back to light speed on the net(cabpatch)

and we have a winner. Im not super computer savvy but I did install the ram cards and a USB 2.0 card myself as well as formatting and setting up the HD...But I cant believe I never thought of the PCI card. I swapped in the one from the other computer and now Im back to light speed on the net(cabpatch)

heh thankyou thankyou, been doing this for almost 11 years and since the 386 came out

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back