I need some help hooking up my iPod

Hey guys:

I read the thread about auxiliary inputs but I'm still wondering what I should do.

What is the cheapest route to go if I want to hook my iPod up and have it only give power to it when the car is on. I don't want to have it give power to my iPod when the car is off.

I was under the impression that there is a port on the factory head unit in the back that you can hook a cable up to and then to the iPod bottom. Then you'd just need the 3.5 cable in addition and your set? This is what I was thinking of doing but I'm not sure it will work, or I could use the ciggarette port in the center console but then I'd need some type of DC to AC adapter and then the USB to AC adapter and I won't want to have a huge mess in my console.

I really don't care about controlling my iPod with the controls but would like to look at the options of doing so if its not too much expensive. I would first like to find out what I need to go the cheap route but I don't want to do any FM transmitting, I only want to do it through a cable.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:
Well if you've read my thread then you've pretty much seen all of the options already. First off what year car do you have? All '07+ US models have a 3.5mm input in the center console in which case you would only need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to listen to music. You would have to use a separate charger to power the ipod though.

If you have a '06 or older (US) model then you'll need to look at one of the other methods. If you just want a simple input then the Aux Mod Basic is the cheapest alternative out there. If you want power but no control then go with the PIE + ipod connector, however you could get the audiolink for about $25 more and have the option of controlling the ipod if you'd like.

I was under the impression that there is a port on the factory head unit in the back that you can hook a cable up to and then to the iPod bottom. Then you'd just need the 3.5 cable in addition and your set? This is what I was thinking of doing but I'm not sure it will work, or I could use the ciggarette port in the center console but then I'd need some type of DC to AC adapter and then the USB to AC adapter and I won't want to have a huge mess in my console.

If you don't have the ACI (auxiliary console input) then the port on the back of the HU is empty. Also you can't just plug a 3.5mm cable into the HU, or tap off of the audio pins on the harness. As for powering the ipod.... if you have the ACI then you have a 12v DC plug in the center console next to the ACI. If you don't then the only stock port is the cigarette lighter. If you're like me then you want to charge things but you don't want clutter. What I did in a friend's 3 (while installing a sirius starmate) was tapped a aux. 12v DC plug into the cigarette lighter wiring behind the panel. Then I ran the power cable from the starmate and just plugged it into the new plug. All the wiring was hidden, and it's only hot with the ignition. I got the new plug off of a 2 into 1 power port adapter from Walmart. That particular one was connected with wires (vs. a rigid plastic body) and I just cut off the plug with about 4" of wire to work with.

Also for powering bear in mind that if you're power your ipod while listening to it then you'll need a ground loop isolator to eliminate alternator whine. This doesn't apply if you're using one of the ipod integration modules as they'll draw power straight from the HU.

I have an 08' if this helps, sorry I forgot to say. I have the aux port in the center console and the DC port but I don't want clutter. What would you advise now knowing that I have an 08'.

Thanks.

Why would you need a DC to AC and AC to USB adapter? Just pick up an iPod cigarette lighter charger for $10 from Walmart, a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable for the Aux port, and you will also need a ground loop isolator if you plan on charging the iPod while listening to it. It's really not that cluttered since there is a channel for routing the wires neatly out of the armrest.

I don't need to charge the iPod while its playing. How can I control that though so it does not charge so I don't need a ground loop isolator?

Thanks.

I think he wants to not charge while driveing and charge when off. Which means you either need to hardwire in a IPOD charger to a constant 12v and ground or rewire one of ours to a constant 12v. The pac ground isolators work great with little or no distortion i can hear.

I'd buy monsters charger with mic output and run the a 3.5mm wire from the charger to the aux input, and get a pac ground loop isolator. Looks good, i ran all the wires under center console including a 3 way split cig lighter so i could wire my Blackberry with GPS and not see any wires, its all taped up to the sides on the center console, really a nice setup for like 50-60 bucks + I used 2 belkin tunedoks in the center console for an ipod and my Blackberry. I find in this car, you almost need to bolt stuff down to not have it go flying when your driving aggressively, the G's be high and them belkin tunedoks fit perfect in out center console cup-holders. I had to modify the second one i bout to work with my BB but it was so worth it, Got GPS and IPOD all without any wires showing and only a 2 inch aux cable in cc and a small cig lighter plug, which i drilled holes next to the aux port box to get thru. so no pac ground loop isolator, cigarette lighter splitter or BB charger can be seen at all, except for a small amount to my BB from bottom of cup-holder. I need to take some pics.
Good luck, hope this gives you some ideas.

I have an 08' if this helps, sorry I forgot to say. I have the aux port in the center console and the DC port but I don't want clutter. What would you advise now knowing that I have an 08'.

Thanks.

Since you have the ACI then the simplest way to hook up the ipod is through the ACI. If you want to charge your ipod while driving then I'd suggest something like THIS. That way you plug only one thing into the ipod (via the dock connector) and you get your sound via the line out vs. the headphone output. You would also need a 3.5mm - 3.5mm cable to go from the adapter to the ACI, and a ground loop isolator to avoid alternator whine.

I don't need to charge the iPod while its playing. How can I control that though so it does not charge so I don't need a ground loop isolator?

Thanks.

Well you said in your first post that you wanted the ipod the charge while the car was on, so we all just figured that's what you wanted. ;) If you're not charging the ipod then all you need is a 3.5-3.5 cable. Plug one end into the headphone jack, and the other into the ACI. You can either run the cable into the upper section of the armrest compartment (there's a little pass through between the two sections) or you can run it out the front edge of the compartment (on the right there's a little dip for a cable to run through) and stick it next to your shifter. If you don't plan on wanting to be able to get to the controls to skip songs and such then I'd suggest the upper compartment spot. If you want to be able to easily reach it while driving then go next to the shifter.

Back