I Need Help

quatelate

:
mazda, mazdaspeed protege
Ok i took my car into mazda several times due to a "blown" turbo as it turns out the turbo itself was never blown and it was the motor itself. Mazda finally replaced my motor. After receiving my car i began to break in the new motor normally after about 1000 miles i decided to take the car to redline for the first time since getting it back i reached about 100mph and the car would not continue to accelerate. I then notice a familiar check engine light and huge cloud of smoke behind me. So i take the car into the dealer. after a few days of waiting they ask me to return my rental that mazda will not fix my car due to modification of the car. their exact words were they found a boost kit and something to control the computer of the car behind the seat. The only mods this car has ever had are a forge bov and emanage that was removed about 6months after install because it didnt do a thing.

My question is what can/should i do?

thanks for any info/suggestions ahead of time.

Things in your car..not connected mean nothing.
I would fight it.

go to a different stealership and take the emanage out of the car, and put the stock bov back on

go to a different stealership and take the emanage out of the car, and put the stock bov back on

the emanage has been out for about a year and the bov was taken off before this all started about 3months ago

I sell mazdas so I might be of some help. Is the factory warranty still in effect or did you purchase one from the fin. co.?

the car was in warranty all the way up to mid December at which point the car was sitting at the dealer

only were the emanage tapped into the stock wires but that was covered back up by the stock black wire loom so i doubt they found it.

Most service dpt's at dealerships are first class shiesters. There's rare exceptions of course, but it sounds like you got stuck in the majority. It looks like they took full advantage of the fact that your warranty expired while it was sitting in their lot. Making repairs off of warranty means more money for them, and a lot of dealerships prey off that fact.

A lot of dealerships also play the "modification" card when it comes time to man up-- especially if it's grounds for voiding your warranty. You have to admit, your car was modified, and there is a chance that something tipped them off. If it wasn't in the present, perhaps they made note of it at some prior dealership visit when you actually still had these mods in/on your protege. Dealerships make notes of these things, especially for return customers, trust me-- they'd be foolish not to, because it gives them leverage later on down the road in the event of say, something exactly like this.

Another possibility is that they assumed your car was modified at one time or another based upon pure speculation. Either way, you're more than welcome to argue with these clowns, but if they're shiesty enough to make this up, they'll be shiesty enough to say that the "modifications" they mentioned were simply removed (when it comes time to prove them wrong). It's their word against yours, and who is Mazda going to believe?

As far as taking it to another dealership, one thing that a lot of people don't realize is that when techs see modifications worthy of voiding a warranty, your VIN is "blacklisted" so to speak. Even if you weren't blacklisted, no doubt these have been noted on a record available to all Mazda dealerships.

Most service dpt's at dealerships are first class shiesters. There's rare exceptions of course, but it sounds like you got stuck in the majority. It looks like they took full advantage of the fact that your warranty expired while it was sitting in their lot. Making repairs off of warranty means more money for them, and a lot of dealerships prey off that fact.

A lot of dealerships also play the "modification" card when it comes time to man up-- especially if it's grounds for voiding your warranty. You have to admit, your car was modified, and there is a chance that something tipped them off. If it wasn't in the present, perhaps they made note of it at some prior dealership visit when you actually still had these mods in/on your protege. Dealerships make notes of these things, especially for return customers, trust me-- they'd be foolish not to, because it gives them leverage later on down the road in the event of say, something exactly like this.

Another possibility is that they assumed your car was modified at one time or another based upon pure speculation. Either way, you're more than welcome to argue with these clowns, but if they're shiesty enough to make this up, they'll be shiesty enough to say that the "modifications" they mentioned were simply removed (when it comes time to prove them wrong). It's their word against yours, and who is Mazda going to believe?

As far as taking it to another dealership, one thing that a lot of people don't realize is that when techs see modifications worthy of voiding a warranty, your VIN is "blacklisted" so to speak. Even if you weren't blacklisted, no doubt these have been noted on a record available to all Mazda dealerships.

ok but even if they had taken note of the mods wouldnt they still have to be able to prove that the mods caused the engine to blow? and if this was the case y not just void the warranty on the first visit?

ok but even if they had taken note of the mods wouldnt they still have to be able to prove that the mods caused the engine to blow?

Not necessarily, especially if they have reason to believe that you're mechanically ignorant. With engine management and a "boost kit", it doesn't take very much to go from A. to B. (A. being the modifications, and B. being a blown motor).

and if this was the case y not just void the warranty on the first visit?

Maybe these modifications weren't enough to void the warranty. However, I am almost positive that as soon as you start making changes to the MAP, the PCM, or the electrical system (among other things), the warranty is voided.

Not necessarily, especially if they have reason to believe that you're mechanically ignorant. With engine management and a "boost kit",

so simply seeing that the wires on the ecu were at one point tapped is enough to void the warranty?.. thats the only mod that left any evidence in the car. i think im going to have my parents' real estate lawyer write them a letter for me to see what happens

so simply seeing that the wires on the ecu were at one point tapped is enough to void the warranty?

I don't know dealership policy, but if I was a tech there, seeing that the PCM harness was previously tapped would be a big red flag to me. Remember, they have pinout charts, so they know exactly what wires were tapped and what for.

I don't know dealership policy, but if I was a tech there, seeing that the PCM harness was previously tapped would be a big red flag to me. Remember, they have pinout charts, so they know exactly what wires were tapped and what for.

i guess my last question would be if it was your car would you go ahead and hire a lawyer or just give up and fix the car on your own dime

Depends on how much your lawyer fees would be lol. Chances are it's going to be real expensive by the time it's all said and done. Give yourself an estimate of the repairs...which would be less? Keep in mind that courts are rarely fair, and you're not gauranteed a win in this lawsuit by any means. Who is this lawsuit against-- Mazda North America or this specific dealership? If it's against MNA, the defending lawyer won't be some shmuck off the street that's for damn sure. What happens if you spend all that money on a lawyer and you lose? Then you'll be out the money for a lawyer, on top of having to fix your car on your own dime.

It's a risk. You gotta know when to hold and know when to fold. Cliche I know, but it's true. Consider your options and weight them carefully. But before you open the judicial can of worms, think about talking with Mazda first and seeing if they'd settle this out of court before you bring it to that level. Always try the easiest things first.

dude thanks for all the advice i think ill start with my lawyer going to mazda (he said hell do it as a favor since my parents give him alot of business) if they say no then i think ill just take some of my savings and build the motor

Back