I need an opinion (tail lights)

JinxKwB

:
2005 Mazda 6 i
So I have an 05 6 and I have been in the process of changing LOTS of things with the car.

The car is Silver and have a new Grille (being painted Black) and a finisher that is already painted Black. The finisher looks good, but I still have the Red Tails. I want to Tint them, but I dont really know how tint film will hold up, and frankly I dont think it will look right (though for like $10 I guess you cant complain).

So I ran across this thread on Mazda6 Club. forum.***************/index.php?showtopic=36755

It shows a way to spray tint and clear coat. I am no stranger to painting plastics and I'm sure I could pull this off, but I wonder if there is a better or easier way.

I have seen some of the LED Tails that come smoked and I dont really care for them too much, and I dont know how well they would ACTUALLY hold up.

Anyone ever done any of these? Results?

Here is what it looks like now... In desperate need of the tails being black...
MazdaRear.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Nightshading the tails on a silver car. Usually one or two coats is sufficient. I saw an MS3 this weekend with the tinted vinyl overlays which looked really good too.

Those LED tails are $400 and I've not heard any bad stuff from them yet, and have considered getting them for the MS6.

I would recommend vinyling them. bluebatmobile.net has everything for the 6. Just send an email to Andy and hell help you out

As for the led tails, mine are comming up on 2 years now.
They're holding up great.
I get lots of looks when I'm rolling at night.....

IMG_0885.jpg

DSCF8167.jpg

I really like those LED tails, the more I look at them the more I want a set. I just hope someone will have a GB and save some cash on a set.

LED's tinted with niteshade, have held up quite well through the summer and part of the winter for me.
Tails2.jpg

See, now I'm torn on what to do. I dont know if I want to tint the whole tail set. Or just find a good price on a set of the LEDs or the OEM Black tails. I already changed my Finisher to black, and the tails need the black to match. My new Grille is with my buddy for painting black too...

What do you guys think. Silver car, Black finisher. Solid Black tails or the OEM Black sytle with the circles not tinted? hmmmm....

LED's tinted with niteshade, have held up quite well through the summer and part of the winter for me.
Tails2.jpg

I like how yours look overall, but they seem so dim in the light like that. I still want the tails to be bright. I might have to go with the black LEDs or the OEM blacks.

They are not dim at all... if you are following the running lights are as bright as normal brake lights. They look dimmer since the picture is from an angle

in town they are ok... I wouldn't want to back out of a country lane with only the reverse lights tho as they aren't the brightest thing in the world

I like how yours look overall, but they seem so dim in the light like that. I still want the tails to be bright. I might have to go with the black LEDs or the OEM blacks.

Naw naw, just be prudent with your coats and make sure you do it when its really bright outside so you know you can see during the day. I used 3 coats I think and mine turned out perfectly. Here's the shot when I first did mine. MS3 to MS6 but hope the pic helps. Dried a bit darker and is no issue except backing up cause it doesn't throw any light out

Def do the nightshades. Don't like it, thinner it off

DSCN1697.jpg

Naw naw, just be prudent with your coats and make sure you do it when its really bright outside so you know you can see during the day. I used 3 coats I think and mine turned out perfectly. Here's the shot when I first did mine. MS3 to MS6 but hope the pic helps. Dried a bit darker and is no issue except backing up cause it doesn't throw any light out

Def do the nightshades. Don't like it, thinner it off

On yours you can still see through to the tails quite well which I like, but I dont think they would show as really being black over the red tails.

I think this is why I like the look of the OEM black tails so much, you can still see through them just fine, but they stil have the black look to them which is what I want. I just need to find a set for a good price. Which around here, Mazda parts seem to be hard to find.

sorry guys -newbie - I have a 2004 6 wagon with stock red taillights and I am trying to find out if the newer yellow turn signal versions are compatible with my 04 - i have spent about 2 hours on this site and can't find any info - where do I start and where do you get led lights anyway? (yup, REALLY new - just got the car in June ... - love the car - replaced a 1989 no typo - V6 Camry. Not quite as fast but I don't care

Back