I am a traitor!!!

goodguy

I have a confession to make - I was ready to buy my Mazda 5 and was having a bit of trouble picturing myself using the vehicle in a business setting (i.e. - Taking clients out for lunch). While I feel it really shouldn't matter and love the economy and practicality of the 5 - I was forced to choose something else: A Mazda 6 Grand Sport Wagon ($30K MSRP, $25K Out The Door after S Plan Discount, $2500 Rebate, $500 MAC Cash Rebate, $700 Addtl S plan Incentive, No Doc Fees, Including Tax). The vehicle is loaded with leather, moonroof, 18" wheels, Bose Audio, 6 Speed AT, etc, etc, etc.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsGallery&vehicleCode=M6W

After driving the 5 and going immediately into the 6 it was an amazing difference - granted the car stickers at $10K more, so there should be a big difference.

Anyway, it essentially came down to this: I have three kids - they would have great "individual space" (i.e. shoulder room, cupholders) in the 5, My driving position would be a bit cramped but that is ok since you can carry so many in economy. Yet in carrying three passengers in back, you only get half a cargo space (one of the third row seats folded down). So you are trading cargo space for shoulder room. My kids play hockey, so we are always throwing large bags back there and would cutting it close with half of the 5's third row for cargo.

In the Mazda 6 Wagon, you gain an incredible drivers position and seat comfort up front. The back seat seems to fit three across with comfort and has adequate legroom (kids anyway) even with the drivers seat all the way back. I would imagine a 6'5" person would be comfortable driving since I am 6'2" and had leg room to spare. Another plus if is the devoted cargo space (depending upon your needs) which is a big as a Honda CR-V. The most immediately impressive thign about the car is the speed/handlng - it is glued to the road and feels pretty amazing when you speed thru curves and turns. The Mazda 5 is also a great vehicle in that regard compared to other brands but not even close to the Mazda 6 Wagon in terms of total driving feel and power. I suppose much of it is personal preference but when I got into the Mazda 6 Wagon - things just felt right! Sort of like putting on the correct fitting shoes after wearing one size too small forever. Then again, I am coming out of a DCX Pacifica (which is actually a huge car if you look at the specs). The unfortunate thing about the Pacifica and other (three row vehicles) is they tend to steal the space form the drivers legroom and give it to the second row. The Pacifica driving seat comfort and legroom is terrible - the seat feels like you have slipped into the potty and are stuck way down in. And with no telescoping wheel my arms were always bent way in - yet I didn't notice these negatives until I got in the Mazda 6 Wagon. The 5 has about as much legroom as the Pacifica but the telescoping wheel helps to alleviate this a bit.

While I love the 5 and hope to need one someday - I am also hoping the 6 Wagon does the trick for now.

Perhaps the most intriguing thing I discovered about the 6 Wagon was the ability of the car to truly "crossover" (instead of just naming it as such) between SUV like cargo space and sedan like comfort/image. With a roof top box and the rear cargo space, we could literally go on a long vacation and not need an SUV like a Ford Expedition.

I tought I would share these thoughts as it was a very hard decision to come to as I think the Mazda 5 has the edge in gas mileage, reliability, awesome uniqueness and cute/cool appeal.

If you have space/configuration needs that are causing you to question the 5's compatibility with your lifestyle - you need not go out of the Mazda family to find a solution. With the current incentives on the Mazda 6 Wagon you may find it very appealing. At least you don't have to "go over to the dark side" and get a Pacifica - lol.

Other vehicles considered:
Toyota Rav4 2006: Back seat hard to fit three across, good pricing & resale, reliability, great back seat legroom, can't find third row option at any dealers, has that youthful (some would say first gen suv) look with the spare tire on the rear door. Great for those who don't use their car for business entertaining. Aslo has stability control - big plus. Sounds and drives a bit "cheapy" feeling though. I would not call it a "SOLID" feeling vehicle like the Mazda 6 Wagon - maybe it is the fact that Toyota knows exactly how much to cut and where to save sapce and money but retain reliability. Things may appear on the verge of braking in a Toyota, but they seem to hold up well.

Honda Fit: Very neat car with incredible cargo space & quality for a small car, drives great and will fit a family of four but may not work if you have to go on a trip adn the small size worried me in case of an accident with an SUV - regardless of crash ratings - you would be toast.

Nissan Versa: I drove one and was almost fooled by their clever marketing of how the versa is the "large" subcompact with the cheap price. One just need look at the Honda Fit and see that the Honda is the MUCH better vehicle. Nissan is famous for incredible prices and so so quality. This one starts off cheap but can end up as much as a M5 touring and still be half the car (leather, bluetooth and all).

Subaru Outback/Legacy/Forester: Great Cars for up to four people, five is tight. Awsome huge moonroof, reliability, fit & finish, materials, dealers but has that forever SUV/Wagon look. A great vehicle but a bit pricey compared to the Toyota, but looks downright affordable next to the Volvo wagons. Subaru has a much better fit, finish, design/feel to the components than any of the cars I sampled (including honda or toyota). I never considered these cars before but found myself wishing (this is going to sound bad) I had a family of four JUST so I could justify buying one of these. Although I hear the driving expereince in the outback and forester is "ok".

Volvo Wagons V50 & V 70: V50 looks sophisticated but is pretty expensive and rear seat room is tight. Reliability questionable but safety is very good.
Resale seems good to since the V70 Wagons are pricey even used.

Mazda 5: The best all around family car (and best looking except for the Volvo V50 - that thing just looks cool) on the list (except if you want/need the sedan appeal and horsepower)

I hope this helps anyone who has to go through the long search for the "perfect" car even though there is no such thing.

Last edited:
::meanwhile goodguy's wife walks out of the bathroom with a positive e.p.t.:: (lol2)

jk... it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, so long as you find a car you're happy driving! I'd say you made a good purchase, I'd consider a 6 wagon too... that is, if I could just decide on a whim to throw down an extra $10k on a car, but I'm a n00b outa college, so.... ;)

Serioiusly, enjoy your 6 and congrats!

EPT - Holy Smokes ! I didn't think of that!

I'd better go get the snip or we may be throwing Junior #4 in the "way back" cargo area like our Parents used to do - although that may be illegal nowadays.

Good point about the extra 10K though - that is qute a bit more. Actually I think with all incentives and discounts I figure I am coming out to $25K. Only a couple thousand more than what would be an similarly equipped 07' (yes I was thinking of holding out for one) Mazda 5 Grand Touring with leather, etc. at about $22 -$24k. But the wagon still is more car.

I was at a Volvo dealer today and could not believe the prices of those things - they make the Mazda products look almost free. And while they are "ok" they all are sort of strange looking to me now. They all look too similar and new/used ones seem "clunky". The V50 Wagon (while interesting) is WAY too small (funny it shares Mazda 3 chassis like the 5 does if I am not mistaken) - much smaller than I remembered in my last post. Only two people in the rear and leg room is scarce. This dealer also sells Subarus and after checking them out again - they too are much smaller than I gave them credit for - the back seats are really only for two and leg room is especially tight - you could not fit boots under the back of the drivers seat very easily (it is a red flag for families with kids when the brochures only show couples with no children in all the pictures). So I am even more impressed with the Mazda products (and frankly the Rav4 room in the 2nd row pretty amazing - how did they do that?)

So really the Mazda 5 is very hard (if not impossible) to beat for the money - trust me I have looked VERY VERY hard at almost every alternative from every manufacturer. Anybody buying a M5 should smile everytime they drive it.

Another note: I did sequential test drives of the Mazda MPV, Mazda 5, Mazda 6, RAV4, Honda Fit. MPV was way too squishy compared to these and the rear end "clunked" over bumps (multiple MPV's did this). The 5 by comparison handled very well and had absolutely no problem with "clunking" over bumps. The Mazda 6 Wagon, as I said was like driving something glued to the road and similar in dampening to the 5 (maybe not as good as the 5). The Rav was similar to the M5 (maybe a bit better), the honda fit felt very similar to the 5 but had that "I could get killed in this feel" that does not occur with the M5.

Last edited:
Well - Took Delivery of the Mazda 6 Grand Sport Wagon.

It was a very difficult decision to not choose the 5 since it is such a practical vehicle. But with the current incentives, S Plan, MAC incentives, etc the $30K vehicle came in at under $24,500 including tax, everything.

Leather, Bose, Moonroof, V6, 18" Wheels, HID, Power Drivers Seat, All Weather Floor Mats, Roof Rails, Cargo Crossbars, Rear Bumper step plate, tonneau cover, cargo cage net.

Must say - it drives like a dream. While the 5 drives incredibly well and has great visibility - there is no comparison - the 6 drives like a sports car. But the 5 Rocks.

I am happy with the decision and hopefully will not need the extra seat anytime soon. This car drives incredibly well, fast, and the drivers seating position is excellent. Lacks the "flexibility" of the M5 seating configuration and the kids don't get their own "elbow room" like in the 5 but it is not bad - it is like the size of the 6 sedan, Accord Sedan, Camry Sedan but with more flexibility and definitely has the the Mazda "Zoom Zoom".

The pics are of the M6 Wagon but with a Yakima Cargo Box (doing a test fit to see how it looks).

Attachments

• PICT2042.jpg
    PICT2042.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 272
nice... if i needed to have more room then the 3 i would look at the 6 wagon before the 5 imo its just a nicer looking car and since they don't sell worth a damn you get some sweet deals on them...

6 Wagon + Huge Arse Cargo Bin = Really Sexy!

No, it will not be as flexible or 'usable' as the 5, but yes, it will be SO much more fun to drive. If only it had a clutch... oh well, enjoy! :D

Nice, what year/color? I saw a titanium one when I bought my car, and it looked pretty good.

I got the Galaxy Grey and Grey Cloth Interior - while I like the cloth - the EX with leather was just too steep a price jump for just a Van. I think the Ex MPV was >$29K instead of <$25.5K MSRP for a pretty equipped LX which looks no different.
3-4K for leather, six cd, power sliding doors, xtra grab handles, seems a bit steep.

It is a 2006 and I like it more everyday. I've driven the kids around in plenty of van's and I must say - size was a big concern for me. But - I don't miss the larger vans at all. It drives great (if a bit underpowered) and everybody fits fine (Three kids under 10) and myself and wife.

goodguy said:
I got the Galaxy Grey and Grey Cloth Interior - while I like the cloth - the EX with leather was just too steep a price jump for just a Van. I think the Ex MPV was >$29K instead of <$25.5K MSRP for a pretty equipped LX which looks no different.
3-4K for leather, six cd, power sliding doors, xtra grab handles, seems a bit steep.

This is too late for you now, but MPV's are heavily discounted here in DC. You can get an ES for under $25k and LX for under $20k...

I like the 6 wagon and the subtle restyle they gave the 6 line really makes it look a lot nicer. How's the pep from the V6? I know it's about 30Hp hown from the V6's in the Accord, Camry and Altima e.t.c but how's the power?

Go test drive a Mazda 6 - you will be very impressed with the power. I have not driven the Accord or Camry v6 - but I consider the total package. The Mazda 6 handles and goes like a sports car.- the accord and camry are great if all you are concerend with is consumer reports ratings. They are nice, but you will not have that much passion for them IMO. I can't wait to get back in my Mazda 6 - I actually try to find places to go to drive it - lol. And the Bose stereo is highly recommended.
If I were to "race" a camry in a straight line, who knows, but since I don't that will ever happen - I can't imagine there being a difference and I would be very suprised if the camry beat this mazda. BUT park an accord, camry, and a mazda 6 next to each other and ask people which one is faster - they will all say the Mazda. It just looks faster. Zoom Zoom. And they won't know you saved 5 thousand dollars they will thin you spent more due to the attention to detail at Mazda.
To put it another way- I spent MANY hours at Mazda, Honda and Toyota dealerships (and many other brands) looking at and test driving cars. I NEVER even got in an accord or camry for two reasons: 1) the styling is avarage (unless you go full out on the Camry and get the side sill extensions, etc PRICEY - and mazda already gives you that stuff) 2) The top of the line Mazda 6 came in at about the starting area for the others (after incentives, etc). So the base accord and camry were good for my MOM (i'm 40 yrs old by the way) but I would not drive them unless I was just after perceived quality.

Last edited:
Both the 6 hatch and wagon have more cargo room below the windows than a 5 with the 3rd row folded. When we were looking at a 5 back at Christmas, we realized that unless you stacked to the ceiling and sacrificed rear visibility, you have more room for stuff in a 6 than in a 5, and that's with the 5 set up to carry only 4 people!

Pep is fine

I would be very suprised if the Camary or Accord had more pep. THey certianly do not have the style unless you fully outfit the camry - it is still something you will see old guys driving to church. Not for me (and I'm 40 yrs old)

Donas64 said:
I like the 6 wagon and the subtle restyle they gave the 6 line really makes it look a lot nicer. How's the pep from the V6? I know it's about 30Hp hown from the V6's in the Accord, Camry and Altima e.t.c but how's the power?

5 Cargo vs 6 Cargo

The 5 is a great car (I now wish I could buy one becuase I wouldn't feel like I am "wearing out" my 6 wagon as a more expensive car driving it all the time). I guess they say the 6 has as much cargo room as the CRV - having the 6 wagon - I would agree. I have put four full sized hokcey bags (full of gear) in the cargo are with no problems. It is deceptive due to the llower to the ground vehicle height. There is great room in the back of my 6.
There were Four reasons I chose the 6 over the 5:
1) Power/Speed/Pickup
2) Sedan look/style/perception of 5 as a "minivan" (I know its not)
3) Seat Comfort/postion
4) Dedicated Cargo room
Regarding Cargo room - I'm sure the five wil fit the bill 70% of the time but the 3 across the second row (no third row like the 5) on the 6 leaves the FULL trunk area for cargo while carrying five passengers. Where as the M5 only has 1/2 for cargo when carrying five people. BUT on the five you get the shoulder room and middle tray (GT) which is nice.
I guess it is relative to how many people you regularly carry.
If I didnt 1) have a family of five 2) need the cargo room 3) need the sedan lok for work/clients/entertaining, etc - then the M5 would have been my choice. But I must say the kids fit probably MORE comfortable in the M6 than they would have in the Five rear seat. Damn they are so close - I really wanted to get the five. I would imaging the M5 to fit 99% of the population. It is an awesome car. But I must say - do not expect the five to replace a minivan becuase our MPV is perfect and I could not see the M5 replacing it due to size, ability to fit luggage - and genreal comfort if you take long trips.

Foolish said:
Both the 6 hatch and wagon have more cargo room below the windows than a 5 with the 3rd row folded. When we were looking at a 5 back at Christmas, we realized that unless you stacked to the ceiling and sacrificed rear visibility, you have more room for stuff in a 6 than in a 5, and that's with the 5 set up to carry only 4 people!

goodguy is totally dead on wrt the 6 Wagon. We bought one a month ago and absolutely love it. It is a big car that drives like something much smaller and faster. Such a great car.

However, this week, we decided that it's time for our other car (an 05 Kia Spectra--don't ask) to go, and we're going to trade it on a 2006 5 GT. Then, we'll have the best of both worlds. Looking forward to it. Now I just need to get a good price for my friggin Kia.

Back