I-Activsense worth it?

The only feature I switch off is the lane departure warning/lane keep assist. I paid 800 for the package (about $1200) and don't regret it. I think it will help the resale value too.

Same :) lane departure is annoying, but love the rest. It can also lower insurance rates.

Those of you that are saying the lane departure is too sensitive, have you tried changing the setting? I absolutely hated it until I found out I could change the setting from before departure to when you cross the line.

I asked the same question before I bought mine, and I am glad purchased mine with tech and I-activsense.

Okay think I'm convinced to take the plunge and get it. Can you guys confirm its just a lane departure warning system and there is absolutely no lane keep assist?

Correct, it is a warning/alert system only. There is no autonomous steering intervention/correction. The only feature/s that intervene are the two brake support features (SCBS and SBS).

I know the new CX-9 has the updated Lane Keep Assistant that actually does automatically straighten the vehicle out if drifting. From what I have read, it is nowhere near is intrusive as Honda's current system.

And just in case you were curious, even though the car has Radar Cruise Control, you can still revert back to traditional cruise control (if you don't trust the radar technology). Also, you can revert back to traditional high beams instead of the High Beam Control.

This is about my only decision left on my cx-5. Anyone not get it and feel like they miss it? Anyone spring for it and think it was a waste? Not being full speed radar seems to be a deal breaker. That and I purposefully let the car go out of the lane onto the shoulder while on the highway and the lane departure never cared.

Lane departure warning only works > 45mph so it may be that you weren't going fast enough. If you change the display on the dash there is an indicator which shows you when it has sight of the lane lines and when it doesn't. When I first got it, I thought it was too sensitive, but I since adjusted the settings and it's been good for my taste. I don't find it going off too unnecessarily anymore. I also changed the tone to the rumble instead of the beeping which IMO is a little less annoying and not easily confused with the blind spot warning.

I have the i-Active sense package and I'm glad I got it. The radar cruise is a great tool - however I don't agree with your above statement. Although it would be nice that it stops the car fully instead of kicking off at 15mph (within spec for auto-braking to take over if necessary anyway), it's not meant to be a hands off tool - even the Telsa AutoPilot which steers isn't meant to be. In a way, I think it's a good thing because you should be relying your car to stop you down to 0 all the time on it's own - it's great for cruising, but you should ALWAYS be aware while driving and ready to take control. Some of this technology I fear is further promoting people being distracted while driving - IE the 2 recent incidents where a one guy was filmed sleeping while the Telsa AutoPilot was activated and another who crashed into the back of a truck because he "assumed the car would stop itself". Just my 2 cents :)

That being said - I think it's absolutely worth it and I would buy it again if I had to. I think it also takes the auto-braking up to 23 or so MPH where without the package it's limited to 18mph.

The High Beam Control is a feature I would like. I often use high beams on rural/country roads.

This is an OK feature, but I feel like it could use some fine-tuning. There are times where street lights will turn them off and I feel like the high-beams are cycling a lot when they don't have to. It is generally pretty good about turning off for a car in the distance (both coming toward you and in front of you), although on curved roads it sometimes has a hard time and i'm pretty sure i've blinded a few cars coming around bends - but in a real world curved roads are hard to watch anyway.

Last edited:
I think its worth it for the radar cruise alone...

I turned off the lane assist feature however for daily use....did turn it on once on a late night trip home on the expressway after a very long day, it helped a few times for sure.

I set my land departure for the least sensitive and with the rumple sound and keep it on all the time, all you get is a low rumple sound from the door speaker on the side you crossed the line on. If the lane paint is week you get nothing. Reminds you to use turn signals as it does not go off as you should be changing lanes and that makes the BSM more effective as it buzzes if you put on turn signal and someone is over there. It also trains you to stay in the middle of the lane and not wander over the lines. On long trips I have a problem dosing off so this helps. I always use the radar cruse even in heavy traffic, it is just easier if you are not in a hurry to stay in a slower lane and set it faster than traffic is moving and you are always at a safe distance from the guy in front. It does occasionally pick up a vehicle in the outside lane in a steep curve but that is rare.

Back