HU death

Mercure

:
02 Mazda Protege5
Due to a mishap where the ground cable detached from the amp without my noticing, my HU seems to have died. The controls acted funky a while and the display dimmed until it winked out. Is there anything to look at before I just give up and look for a replacement?

Hmm...I am asuming you already tried re-connecting the ground wire.

I don't see how the two problems are realated. If the ground wire on your amp fell off, your amp would stop working...but it shouldn't affect your head unit.

Have you checked all the connections behind the head unit? Have you cleaned off the contacts of the detachable face (if it has one). Use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide (Used to work great for old Nintendo games). Double check the fuses also.

chuyler1 said:

I don't see how the two problems are realated. If the ground wire on your amp fell off, your amp would stop working...but it shouldn't affect your head unit.

Have you checked all the connections behind the head unit? Have you cleaned off the contacts of the detachable face (if it has one). Use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide (Used to work great for old Nintendo games). Double check the fuses also.
thread jack - you coming to RIU tomorrow? love to see your system!!

My system consists of...
A box from Knukoncepts under my desk filled wire
Two 8" ID subs and a Stinger capacitor resting on my spare bed
Two MTX amps in a closet at my parent's house in Foxboro
Several stickie notes with drawings and designs posted on my monitor
One bad-ass idea in my head.

I don't have a garage or a table saw...otherwise I would be half done by now.

I won't be making it to RIU because I've got a concert tomorrow evening. I play the trumpet in the Sharon Community Bands. 7:00 at the Sharon Community center if you're up for some classical concert band music and some upbeat big band jazz.

chuyler1 said:
My system consists of...
A box from Knukoncepts under my desk filled wire
Two 8" ID subs and a Stinger capacitor resting on my spare bed
Two MTX amps in a closet at my parent's house in Foxboro
Several stickie notes with drawings and designs posted on my monitor
One bad-ass idea in my head.

I don't have a garage or a table saw...otherwise I would be half done by now.

I won't be making it to RIU because I've got a concert tomorrow evening. I play the trumpet in the Sharon Community Bands. 7:00 at the Sharon Community center if you're up for some classical concert band music and some upbeat big band jazz.
i'd sure like to check that out some night!! sorry you couldn't make it!!

I'm hoping the end of the summer...August maybe. I know the Driver's Side in Plainville usually has a sound off. Curry Audio in Milford has one scheduled for June 25th and is planning one later in the summer. I don't think I can have it done in a month though. I was considering taking time off from work to do this...I think a week (or a long weekend) would be enough to jump start the install.

Stock HU, so no contacts to clean. Actually I have no idea why it died, but that was the only major change I noticed, I figured maybe it shorted out or something. Checking the fuses can't hurt.

The amp was working up until the HU blinked out completely (even while it was failing to respond properly to some controls, in the minutes up to its ?apparent? death). After that it went off, I assumed because there was nothing on the remote wire. I have looked at the connections but it seems possible that something went wrong there.

It's not the radio fuse. And everything else works. Including the button illumination on the HU. It's just that nothing happens using any of the knobs, and the LCD stays off. I would assume it just killed itself in some mysterious way.

chuyler1 said:

From ground back feeding. You can often power an amp up and even pla it for some time without a ground connection. Essentialy the amp finds ground through the RCAs and back through the headunit. As you can imagine this can over power the headunits circiuts. I haven't seen a head unit die form this before but I have seen an amp with no ground be powered through the headunit. I was never adventuris enough to let it go to see what would happen.

Disconnect the RCAs and remote wire from the amp altogether and see if the headunit will fire back up. If not, I would test the headunit on a bench or known good car but its likely a goner

Yeah, I pulled out the amp and nothing changed. Guess I'll have to hold out until I can afford a worthy replacement. Thanks for the advice!

Back