How well do you like your 3?

Paint update

Antonio DiMarco said:
I have a black 3 and the paint isn't that hot. I've used Zaino wax, and clean it periodically but the paint chips easily and now I'm noticing some edges are rubbing down to the primer. Small areas around door; nothing major now but it makes me wonder how the paint will hold up in the long-run. We have a 2003 Honda Pilot which is also black and doesn't have nearly as many chips. I've also had 4 other Mazdas (all proteges) and never experienced this issue. I've complained about it with my dealership and they say it's "normal". Finally convinced them to take a look at it next week. If they don't do anything about it I'll call the 800 number in my manual. FYI most dealerships hate this since Mazda wants dealerships to resolve issues. I was told by another Mazda dealership that a call into to Mazda will affect the dealerships placement in the ranks.

I'm hoping they will offer to repaint the car for me.

That said, I am VERY tough to please and I can honestly say that the new 3 is one of the only cars I can see enjoying for 10 years. I commute 2 hours everyday and I think the 3 is extremely well-designed, amazingly comfortable (I'm 6-3 200lbs) and drives like an Audi A4. Noise level is also low compared to my 2001 Protege ES).
For the money it's a steal in terms of performance and personality. I also love the leather interior and the shift knob. Details like this and the full length handle that adjust for and aft for the seats brings the overall impression of quality and class up several notiches. I just hope they can resolve the paint issue for me.

Update on my paint.

Well the red primer thing ended up being a stain that came off and after checking other black cars (Audi A4, Acura TSX etc, I found most have the similar chipping. I guess not having a black car for the last 10 years gave me a twisted sense of reality.

The good news is my dealer was nice enough to have their recon guys touch-up the chips. They did a fabulous job too. You have to look REALLY close to see any evidence of touch-up. No bumps either.

Now thats what I call service.
And I love my 3 even more. It'll be a year at the end of this month and I can't see owning another car with it's balance of features, perfromance and quality. Plus my dealership service is #1.

My Red Mazda 3 is hot!

I loved my car since I first got in the driver seat. You could say the mazda had me at "Hello" with the smooth and powerful sound of it's engine, comfortable seating, stylish yet elegant design and the ride that put a bright smile on my face. The engine is powerfull for a car in this class. The design from every angle inside and out is flawless. Mazda 3 is a breath of a fresh air in the auto world of compact vehicles. You know...Mazda is onto something with the "Rethink what's possible" aproach and I can't wait to see what they'll come up with for the next generation of mazda 3 but for now I'll enjoy what I've got. So far there is no problems to report, the red paint is totaly chip free and the performance is unchanged. Adding the new amplifier and a set of two 12" subs made the ride even more fun.

Love it!

Have put 39,000 miles on it, and I got mine in April 2004. I am impressed with how well it is put together and how it never fails to take my breath away.

I'm still enjoying my 3 after 16 months and 15k miles of ownership. I have a few minor issues that all seem to have relevant TSBs, so hopefully I'll get the stealer to take a look at that the next time I'm in.

The one thing that still irks me is the fricking cartridge oil filter. I had the stealer do my last oil change and requested synthetic...they offered a synthetic blend. I asked for full synthetic, and eventually, they came in and told me they had to have someone go get it, and charged me quite a bit in the end. I don't want this runaround every time, so I'll have to look into the cartridge->standard cylinder filter adapter a bit more closely on here and see if that's the option I should take.

My Goodyear RS-As have worn quite a bit for only having 15k, but they grip well. Still love the handling and shift action in the car. Still notice times when I think the electronic throttle is a little delayed and the car is hesitant on WOT/acceleration, but nothing big.

If you think the Good-For-A-Years grip well, wait until you replace them.

With just about ANYthing. (boom07)

goldwing2000 said:

Yes, the OEM Goodyears are horrible. I replaced them with expensive Michelin Pilot A/S's and the car drives like a million bucks.

goldwing2000 said:

I was pretty frightened when I saw I got those over a Dunlop or a Toyo, but they haven't been nearly as bad as I initially figured (again, other than the wear).

blizz81 said:
I was pretty frightened when I saw I got those over a Dunlop or a Toyo, but they haven't been nearly as bad as I initially figured (again, other than the wear).

I found the GY's horrible in the rain. I was also able to break my 3's tail loose quite easily with the GSRs. The Pilot A/S's I have a fabulous in the wet and dry and not bad in the snow. They also seem to be wearing quite well. I loved them so much I purchased a set for my wife's new 5. Had to have the techs do something while it was sitting waiting for the parts for the recall :)

Seriously though the Pilots inspire confidence in all types of weather. They have also proved to be extrmely strong and resistant to Mass Pike and Boston potholes. Their sidewalls have kept the 17 inch rims safe as well.

Antonio DiMarco said:
I found the GY's horrible in the rain. I was also able to break my 3's tail loose quite easily with the GSRs. The Pilot A/S's I have a fabulous in the wet and dry and not bad in the snow. They also seem to be wearing quite well. I loved them so much I purchased a set for my wife's new 5. Had to have the techs do something while it was sitting waiting for the parts for the recall :)

Seriously though the Pilots inspire confidence in all types of weather. They have also proved to be extrmely strong and resistant to Mass Pike and Boston potholes. Their sidewalls have kept the 17 inch rims safe as well.

I really haven't had any issues in the rain either...snow, sure, but nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, I don't drive all-out autox style in the rain (though generally, I don't back down much).

Nothing like the rubber on my gf's 97 Saturn. The other day I was taking a little swinging turn at just under 35mph after I had gone through some sprinkler runoff on the road a couple hundred feet back, tapped the gas, and just about 180'd. Scared the hell out of me. If it was the 3, I could have pushed the same turn/same conditions at 55-60mph if I wanted to. I feel like buying her new tires now, since she wasn't threatened and blamed it on my 'aggressive driving style' :p

Good to hear about the Pilots though. I'll be doing more research here in the near future when I have to replace the RS-As.

I love my 3. i have about 2,100 miles on it and have owned it for about 3 months. So far I haven't had any problems with it. (flash)

ive had mine almost 3 months with ~2400 miles. runs great and is surprisingly a lot of fun to drive.

i have had mine since may of 04 and i have 50,000 miles on it, i love it to death. great little car with a lot of zip. i have some mods but not too much. it is very roomy too i am 6'4" 310 and very nice to ride.

Back