How To: Wire Interior Neons

Bumping an old thread. just curious if 12" tubes are what were used here. I am wanting to wire blue interior neons in my car and some red interior neons in the wifes car. Our biggest complaint with the cars is the lack of light on the floors if you were to drop something. lol

What's the best total length neon to use? 8"? 12"? And, would an Ebay kit be anygood? I know you get what you pay for, but it is just interior neons. Don't care if this seems too ricey, I like it

Bumping an old thread. just curious if 12" tubes are what were used here. I am wanting to wire blue interior neons in my car and some red interior neons in the wifes car. Our biggest complaint with the cars is the lack of light on the floors if you were to drop something. lol

What's the best total length neon to use? 8"? 12"? And, would an Ebay kit be anygood? I know you get what you pay for, but it is just interior neons. Don't care if this seems too ricey, I like it

If you go with neons, a set of 6" mini's should work. They throw off enough light to fill the footwells without a problem.

It should be ok. I went with 12" when I did mine, though. Lit from under the dash to under the front seats.

That's what I'm wanting. To fully illuminate the floors. I'll either be doing blue or white. I want to be able to see if i dropped something, cause the dome light sucks

If that's the case, I'd go with 12's or LEDs ($$). And go blue. White is so boring. lol

My ride is Laser Blue, so ,i was leanin towards the blue neons, not LED's.

Wife's ride is white, and she wants red Neons.

Probably do 12"s up front and 6" under the front seats for the rear floor

That'll throw enough light?

I had 6" blue mini-neons in my '92 Daytona, and had them hidden, and they still illuminated my feet well enough to see everything. My 6" LEDs in my Protege even lit up the floor without a problem. I like the mini's since they're wired two per set, and easier to tuck away. A 12" is a big bulb to hide in a footwell.

Thanks for this HOW TO. i used it to install my 10 inch green ones. i got it wired to the battery then to a green LED switch that i got at Autozone. it comes with the wires and everything for like 6 bucks. u can just buy a different switch at like radio shack or something. they have TON of them. its awesome. i got the green, to match the green tubes. i put one in on the driver side, and tomorrow im putting them on the passenger side. i got the ones that pulse to the music, or stay constant. they work great. i just helped my friend do the same thing for his car today. im spreading the NEON VIRUS. gotta make sure the autoparts stores have extra. I bought my first one from AUtozone, and they only had one left. so i had to come back, and they didnt have it there for like 4 days. so ijust went to Pep Boys. the 10 inch tubes are only 20 bucks its sick. my friends think they look sick.... which they do. lol

That'll throw enough light?

I dont think neon throws enough light, well not for me anyway. Cold Cathode is the way to go. Cheaper too. I have both neon and cathode tubes, and the cathode tubes are sooo much brighter. I lit up my entire interior for about $35. This was for 6 tubes. 2 under the dash, 2 in the back seat, and 2 in rear hatch. Some places charge this for 1 neon tube.

http://www.oznium.com/cathode-kit

wordddd. cathodes.

ive been lookin at those Cathodes now, they seem pretty sick... Anyone have them? any reviews. im thinking of ordering a few sets. to really get my car glowing. they are cheaper than the neons. i was thinking, gettin 2-4" and 2-12" sets (2 tubes in each set, so total of 8 tubes) for the back seat, trunk, and maybe some in the grille or under the bumper or something. I also wanna get the Music Interface, since my existing 2 neon tubes have em. and does anyone know how to waterproof these so i can put em on the outside of the car. that would be great. im lookin forward to these.

PS. when i start hookin up like multiple tubes, i was thinking to have all the interiors on one switch, so like... 4 tubes on 1 switch, then have the exteriors on another switch, so like. 4 outside tubes. should i get a special power source? like an amp or somehting. im kinda new at this so im lookin for as much help as possible, and i dont want my car going on fire/exploding/dying. lol so yea thanks.

Last edited:
I have 6 blue 12in tubes. 2 under the dash, 2 in the back seat, and 2 in rear hatch. Also, one 5 led light bar in each headrest.
The whole thing is wired to a duck bill switch I mounted near the fog light switch. Its not advised to wire more than 3 sets of 12 tubes because it will dim the out put of the cathode.

LED%27s%20021.jpg

cathode.jpg

without the lights
LED%27s%20024.jpg

view from front of car
Cathode%20013.jpg

duck bill switch
Cathode%20016.jpg

rice it up!! lol

Last edited:
o.g.sk8ter.... i have the same switch but in green, howd u install it into those fake button things. ive been lookin at them for a few days now.... and also, its not bad for my battery if i have a bunch on the same switch...it only effects the brightness? its not gunna like.. make my battery crap out or anythign, cause that wouldsuck.

PS. Sick setup u got there. thats a good idea with the headrest LEDs, never thought of that. sick bro

the way I installed the switch was to remove the dummy mount in the dash, cut all the crap thats on the back...you'll see. Then drill a hole, wire it up, install the switch and click it back in. Then run the wires wherever you need. Simple. hehe

When I said, "The whole thing is wired to a duck bill switch," I should have said, its all powered, or controlled by one switch, meaning I dont have a bunch of wires connected right to the switch. lol
I have them wired in series, I think this is the term.
The dash kit and head rest kit are wired to the back seat kit, and the back seat kit is wired to the hatch kit. Confusing...lol..its late so...hehe

Thanks for the kind words!

oo i see. thats a good idea. yea dont wanna have a big pile of wires going to the switch... yea and if i get exterior ones, im gunna put that on a seperate switch... dont want cops bitching.
u kno what size bit u used? i see what u mean about the fake inside of the switch. i figured it out.. im gunna try it out tomorrow. ill prob just go to Home Depot tomorrow morning or something nd buy a bit that should fit.

my bit collection sucks ass...lol
I used about a 6mm bit and just hogged it out till the switch fit. Worked great.
Oh, and you can water proof the cathodes. There's a how to at oznium.com
Look pretty easy.

alright going to install my other green neon into the passenger footwell, then to the switch in that fakeswitch box thing idk what to call it.. ill let u kno how it turns out. (cabpatch)

ok. just finished the second bulb. wasnt as easy as i thought. so i put the second bulb in the passenger size, cut the wire, wired them to the switch, had it all hooked up, switched on. and nothing happened. i was pissed. i had no idea why it wasnt worknig. i tried disconnecting everything and then i finally realized it was the fuse. so i went to radioshack with the fuse, and of course they suck and didnt have it. so then i went to autozone and me and the guy were looking around at the different fused for like 20 mins. i finally got a 20Amp fuse instead of the original 15. so i put that in... and it worked wonderfully. the switch i fit into the fake button things on the left side, and it looks awesome. im getting some pics of it tonight when it gets dark. itll look sick. its a lil rainy today, so its kinda visible now. but still cant wait for tonight. next is the exteriors. eventually.

Back