How-To: Wire a Sub to stock MAZDASPEED6

it's a b**** to do it, but it only takes me 5 to 10 minutes? you gotta do it from inside the car (did I not say that in the instructions?)

you're gonna have to slide the seat all the way back and get on your back so you can look up under the steering column. find the grommet where the wires are coming out... now don't try to put it through THAT hole, where all the wires are coming out

you need to go to the side where the big opening is entirely covered with the rubber grommet (the harness wires for the cars are in the center of the grommet)

you're gonna want to do it to the side.... you gotta push out HARD with your finger until you see light coming through then you know you're exposed to the other end, either hold it open wth your finger or use a pen to push through and hold it open for you...

and start trying to slide the power cable through.... after you get it a little bit you may need to walk back and forth, pull alittle from the engine bay, push a little from under the steering wheel, until you get the length you want.

Just curious... how did you finally get it in? Maybe it'll help people who are also having difficulty.

i pried it back carefully with an interior pry bar (plastic, didn't want to use metal near the wiring harness just incase it slipped) and pushed the wire through untill it went in. haha really it was just a lot of grunt effort in an awkward position. i couldn't really see what i was doing but it worked out well. i also ran the wires through like you said underneath the door sill which worked really well. still gotta figure out the wiring in the back though. ill let you know how it goes. but thanks for the awesome write up, man!

Yeah that sounds good a plastic interior pry bar would work wonders.... yeah it's kind of hard to see depending how you have it lit up, I used a keychain flashlight I have that I held with my mouth.

I just passed the wire tonight like in the picture and will finish the rest of the install tomorrow...

BUt isn't there a possibility of some water seeping in by running down that positive wire and into the car...

Alright so my install is complete and looks and sounds great but the only problem is...

with the volume down low or off there is a humming sound coming from my 12" sub. Obviously if I turn down the gain on my amp it goes away but so does any bass from the sub. I checked and rechecked all my wiring (huh)

Also, if I turn on my lights or pull the E-break up... the humming stops (huh)

I just passed the wire tonight like in the picture and will finish the rest of the install tomorrow...

BUt isn't there a possibility of some water seeping in by running down that positive wire and into the car...

If you're talking about the Power cable that goes from the battery through the grommet....... then no, the grommet is extremely tight, as people who've noticed it takes a bit of time to get the cable through it....... if any water even runs down it it would stop at the grommet.

That would take a lot of water seeping inside your car, and on/near the battery..... to even be able to run down that line in the first place.

As for your humming, I'm not sure, I don't experience it. Have you checked the wires on the Subs? (inside the box I mean) and have you checked to make sure the positive and negatives for the subs are connected properly, and you're not crossing a positive and a negative? (not saying you're stupid but accidents happen)

Hey check something out for me when you get a chance. I think you might be getting what's referred to as a "power hum"

Does it happen when your radio is OFF? or only when the radio is on and the volume is turned low, or down to zero?

What type of amp are you running (brand, watts, etc)? Some amps I've experience in other cars, were too weak to supply decent bass to a sub, and when turning up the gain too high would give it a distortion sound and so the humming. If you put your hand on the sub you will probably feel the humming through it as well.

does the sub have its own amp, where would it be. i know the front and rears have one under the drivers seat but where is the sub amp. i want to add a sub to my stock bose system and disconnect the bose sub. wouldnt it be better to get the signal for the new amp before the sub amp instead of in the trunk by the sub? i have a 06 mazda sport

does the sub have its own amp, where would it be. i know the front and rears have one under the drivers seat but where is the sub amp. i want to add a sub to my stock bose system and disconnect the bose sub. wouldnt it be better to get the signal for the new amp before the sub amp instead of in the trunk by the sub? i have a 06 mazda sport
the sub amp is in the basket with the sub. so, you are.

i got my sub installed sounds good, but i noticed on the tutorial it said to use the black with read stripe wire for the positive, but the wiring harness diagrahm for the bose amp shows the brown wire is positive. which is correct? i used the brown as positive.

i got my sub installed sounds good, but i noticed on the tutorial it said to use the black with read stripe wire for the positive, but the wiring harness diagrahm for the bose amp shows the brown wire is positive. which is correct? i used the brown as positive.

Do you have a speed6? or a regular 6?

I made a note that there is a difference between the wires for the Mazdaspeed6 and the 2005 Mazda6 was my GF's, I did specify in the post print at the beginning of the first post that the colors may be different for the years of cars......

if you have a 2006 regular Mazda6 (I'm guessing from one of your previous posts) then there is a good chance the wires will be different, I only made this thread for the speed6 (like the title suggests), but it does work on regular 6, wires may be different.

If your diagram shows a brown wire as the positive signal source (the audio to play music through it) then that was your wire...... especially if you had a black wire with red strip and that showed up as something else on your diagram.

Last edited:
i have a regular 6. i dont have my own diagrahm, i was looking at the one that was postedat the bottom of the main post in this thread, http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123668624&highlight=install. is there a way i can check to see for sure which one is positive? will the positive only have 2v dc coming out of it. so could i put a use a voltmeter and put the positive on the wire and the negative on the chassis? its been like six years since ive installed a system in a car. thanks for your help

I'm sorry but I can't verify that for you......... I hooked mine up to the black with red stripe. I do have the brown wire, but I didn't touch it, since it's already been tried and verified BEFORE ME with the use of the black with red stripe, and I don't like to be the "guinea pig" in situations like that. lol.

Does your car have a black with red stripe as well, or only the brown? Honestly if your car is working ok without issues, then I don't see a problem, if you want to test it with the voltmeter you can....

There is a possibility it will be slightly under 2v since I've been told its connect to the amp unit under the driver seat. Which has the possibility of lowering the voltage.

Speed 6 Wiring ?

Hey Koenig,

First off, thanks for the how to. Great job!!

My question is this:

When you remove the male end of the rca splitter and twist together the silver shielding (ground) and copper cables (positive), why can't you simply tap that copper cable "twist" right into the bose sub black / red wire and put a wire butt on the silver shielding ground "twist"?

Hey Koenig,

First off, thanks for the how to. Great job!!

My question is this:

When you remove the male end of the rca splitter and twist together the silver shielding (ground) and copper cables (positive), why can't you simply tap that copper cable "twist" right into the bose sub black / red wire and put a wire butt on the silver shielding ground "twist"?

Thats exactly what i did and it works perfectly. I used no extra speaker wire. Ran it straight from the rca splitter into the bose and wrapped some electric tape around the silver shielding and let it hang.

hey there is another grommet in the middle of the engine bay that i was able to reach from outside of the car that is just rubber and pulles out. It is not very easy to find but it is a good place to put the power wire through

Back