How to Tune timing?

azian6er

Asian Law Student
:
Mazda Speed Protege #987
Hello all, I have a question for the experienced tuners.

I recently hooked up a SS FTC and am running stock timing as of right now. I am looking into retarding the timing where i need to, however I do not know where to begin in adjusting the timing.

Simply put, How does a tuner know when to retard timing? What tools/dvices are needed to acquire the information needed to tell a tuner when to pull timing?

I know that audible knock is a sign to drop timing down a bit, however absent that, what other indicia are available for a tuner to use?

I am worried because my car is running rich, and I know that load+ rich sometimes = bang.

So, any and all information would be appreciated!

Thanks an advance!

-Bryan

Kinda new with this too but IIRC, load+lean=boom on turbo. I'm NA so I'm gonna add timing. I have the MPI with NA module. Also thought your ss ftc would retard timing. I'm a newbie with this too so wait for some expert turbo tuning guy to weigh in. Also IIRC the J&S safeguard works in conjunction with the ss ftc to control knock. Also read in one of these threads about inaudible knock being worse than what you can actually hear. Again, wait for the expert advice.

Last edited:
you know our cars have a knock sensor you could listen in with ;) you'll hear knock through it far earlier than audible without a mic

Back