How to take the driver's knee panel off?

:
2008 Mazda5 Touring
The one below the steering wheel.

I'm looking for screws, and see one behind the hood handle, and the top portion seems to snap off, but the panel to the left is interfering with that. Does anyone some pointers? How much has to come apart first...before I break something? Thanks.

Take the center console, (The radio area) off first, then the kick panel down by your left foot, (If you're in the USA, right side if in Japan) THEN that 'under the steering wheel panel will come off.

Good luck!

P.S. That center one where the radio and gear shifter is a pain in the butt, what are you trying to do exactly?

Peace!(rei)

Thanks, too bad it's not as simple as the other cars I've owned...2-4 screws.

I need to get one of the switch blanks off that's to the left of the steering wheel to install a momentary switch. I can pop the top part off, but not the whole thing. And also see if there's a good location behind there for an electronics timer for the dome light that I'm wiring to the switch. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, too bad it's not as simple as the other cars I've owned...2-4 screws.

I need to get one of the switch blanks off that's to the left of the steering wheel to install a momentary switch. I can pop the top part off, but not the whole thing. And also see if there's a good location behind there for an electronics timer for the dome light that I'm wiring to the switch. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ahhh I see, yeah i did my fog light switch in that same bank of blanks, and did it when I had the whole thing apart. (confused)

Yes, keep us posted, pics too !

Peace!(rei)

That went alot easier than anticipated. Sorry, but I didn't get any pics. The 'hardest' part was removing the A-pillar cover.

Any electronics gurus here? If so, do you think that roughly 40mA is too much draw on the car battery on standby? The circuit I built has a microrelay that stays energized.

That went alot easier than anticipated. Sorry, but I didn't get any pics. The 'hardest' part was removing the A-pillar cover.

Any electronics gurus here? If so, do you think that roughly 40mA is too much draw on the car battery on standby? The circuit I built has a microrelay that stays energized.

The only thing I was able to find about car battery capacity states that most car batteries are rated at 30-40 ampere hour. To make things simple take the 40Ah rating, that means you can draw 40 amps for one hour before that battery goes dead. So for a 40mA load (.04A) it will take 1000 hours or 41.7 days to drain the battery.

You probable have other loads on the car (ie alarm, clock, ...) that are using more power that your relay. So unless you leave your car un-driven for over a month at a time, the 40mA load should not be a problem.

That's great!
I had the guys over at the12volt.com helping me, but what they were showing me didn't sound right with a power ON time delay. So here's the circuit I came up with that works exactly how I wanted...

EDIT - Sorry, forgot to explain what I did. Basically I installed this circuit to ground out the yellow door pin wire via a delay off timer. This way it can't be accidently left on. There's a single momentary button installed in one of the blanks to the left of the steering wheel. You simple press the button to turn on the dome light(s), and press and hold for 1/2 a second to turn it back off. If it's left on, the timer is set to 15 minutes to turn it back off. The assembly is wrapped in some foam that I had, and stuffed behind the map lights with the sunroof motor. The wiring is all done there, but with some thin speaker wire run to the momentary switch below.

Attachments

• Dome Light Circuit.JPG
    Dome Light Circuit.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back