how to stop joy rides?

I'm lucky. I'm friendly with the service people at my local dealer. If they take the car for a joy ride, I wouldn't mind.

I work in a bodyshop, and I quite often have to test drive customer's cars on the open road to make sure all suspension repairs, etc turned out oka, and also to verify wheel alignment, A/C recharged (if applicable) operation of turn signals, lights, horn, verify coolant is topped up if rad was changed, etc before we give the car back to the customer. The road test I usually take lasts no more than 4-7 minutes, covering a loop around the block of about 5-6Km.

The whole time I'm very carefull, because if I do smack up a car, I have to pay the deductable on the shop's insurance policy. Although it's very tempting to have a heavy right foot on a 3 block straight in an RX-8 (even though it was a crappy automatic with a brown interior) I always thing ofhow I would like my car driven if it was in the shop, and drive it accordingly. I wouldn't want someone else bagging on my car when it's in for repair, so why would I do it to theirs?

DBR said:
sundevil...do you know how the rx7 rev limiter works? is it part of a piggy back computer?

That means he's gonna be using the Apexi Power FC. Its a full standalone and you can set the rev-limiter to whatever you wnat.. 3k works great for "valet" mode... set it for 500rpm if you park it at the airport or something so no one will even be able to start it....

Maxx, thats the attitude i expect out of anyone who drives someone elses car....

having said that i do have a company car for both of my jobs hehehe a toyota echo at night (hey we can't all be rich) which get flogged (otherwise it won't move) and a RWD V8 during the day... (do i need to tell you?)

but if i drive a freinds car i'll only open it up if i tell them, which i have told to mechanics too, that i have been able to trust

rx7gslse said:
That means he's gonna be using the Apexi Power FC. Its a full standalone and you can set the rev-limiter to whatever you wnat.. 3k works great for "valet" mode... set it for 500rpm if you park it at the airport or something so no one will even be able to start it....
I want one for the pro. :)
It would be sooo usefull.

Last edited:
Back