How-to: S5 intake for less than $45

Shadow102

:
2013 CWP MS3 / 1977 Celica GT
Well i tackled one of the first mod's for my RX-7 today. I am more of a DIY person so you will see alot of homemade how-to's from me and this seems like a good place to start. I decided i wanted to add a cone filter to the car as the stock airbox takes up alot of room, the filter is reusable, and it lets the rotary growl out a little more...i possibly add HP too but its debatable since the stock MAF is the bottle neck in the system (Mazda had some crap MAF designs back in the day)

First off this is for Series5 RX-7's only as the S4 used a VAF design and requires only an adapter plate (found out autozone has them) and a 3"cone filter.

Parts needed:

2.5"-3" silicon connector
3" intake tube
3.5" Cone Filter
Breather filter (only needed if you are running an airpump)

Tools:

Flat head screw driver
Phillips screwdriver
10mm ratchet

Step 1:
Remove your stock airbox and Maf. I left the snorkle on the engine so it will feed some cooler air to the filter.

DSCF2252.JPG

Step2:

Gather all the parts. All the parts used i was able to find at autozone and are made by spectre. Paid $17 for the coupler and tube and $26 for the filter (they have a $10 rebate going on until 3/31/09). The only modification i may make later is to shorten the chrome pipe about 1.5" so its not all the way up in the filter.

DSCF2253.JPG

DSCF2254.JPG

DSCF2255.JPG

Step 3:

In order to have enough room with this configuration the filter will need to be tightened around the outside of the silicon coupler. Before installing the assembly back in the engine bay there is a silver bracket that needs to be removed and relocated. Its behind the headlight. In the last picture i circled where this used to bolt to and you can see where i relocated it to. Also in the pics if have a red rag on the air pump hose since the air pump will be coming out soon and i didnt have breather filter. But if you plan on keeping it i suggest adding a breather to it.

DSCF2256.JPG

DSCF2257.JPG

hmm I remember doing this to some S5 I had, I went a tad ferther and cut a whoe where you have that yellow mark in the pic. Got better airflow.

Is the snorkel the small tube that you put the red rag on? Will I have to put something over that or can I just leave it open?

Keep in mind I am automotive retarded and am basically learning everything as I go here

Is the snorkel the small tube that you put the red rag on? Will I have to put something over that or can I just leave it open?

Keep in mind I am automotive retarded and am basically learning everything as I go here

the red rag is the inlet for the air pump. I currently have a small breather filter on that hose just to save the air pump.

DSCF2297.JPG

Well how necessary is the air pump? What does it do?

Thanks again SO MUCH for your help!

:]

air pump is mostly about emmisions...however being a s5 it also activates your 5/6 ports and the VDI which are for high end HP.

I'm in the middle of doing this right now.
lol
how did you secure the unit. what did you bolt it to or did you just let it sit in the bay?

Is that a Ground Wire Kit I see in Post #4?

Yes FC rx7's are notorious for horrible grounding so i added a bunch of extras.

I'm in the middle of doing this right now.
lol
how did you secure the unit. what did you bolt it to or did you just let it sit in the bay?

i just let it sit there doesnt seem to hurt it. I may eventually buy/build a box for it but until then it just hangs there. Havent had a single problem with it yet.

Nice writeup.

You could get a battery bolt hold down and hook it to the MAF to the brace on the frame just to keep it up off the car?

Did the grounding kit make a notable difference in any way? I'm thinking about doing the same to mine.

Nice writeup.

You could get a battery bolt hold down and hook it to the MAF to the brace on the frame just to keep it up off the car?

Did the grounding kit make a notable difference in any way? I'm thinking about doing the same to mine.

I can't say I really felt a difference, I would have to say the only noticible difference I saw was in the voltage gauge, when I did my water pump I forgot to reconnect that ground and the voltage was reading lower than I was used to on idle. After remembering I forgot that ground the voltage went back to normal

Back