How To: Retrofit HID projectors into P5 headlights

And a higher K bulb will be worse when it's raining. It will be that much harder to see the roads.

less light output then the 4300-5k bulbs and more purple color

And a higher K bulb will be worse when it's raining. It will be that much harder to see the roads.

Okay then. I'll prob get the mini's with the 5k bulbs. But which shroud will be better, it gives you 3 options to chose from. My P5 lights are the black bezel aftermarket one's? Thank you guys again for all the help.

I'm thinking of going with the mini graphite shrouds since my reflectors are chrome colored. Any input from the experts will be awesome!

Last edited:
The shroud really comes down to personal preference. Try to find as many picstures of the three shrouds in headlights and envision which one would make you most happy :)

I went with the GTI-R shroud and painted it black:

IMAG0114.jpg

Gatling in chrome
IMG-20110211-00148.jpg

Gatling in black
IMG-20120205-00521.jpg

GTI in satin
IMG-20120405-00178.jpg

fyi the mini graphite shrouds are see through and are impossible to paint..

i know it's not in a Protege headlight, but here's a set I did with graphite shrouds (lit up at night)
869b120f.jpg

60f77ab8.jpg

Thank you guys for showing me those pics. Definitely helps a lot in which one I should go with. Will decide which one to get when I place my order with TRS for the mini's.
Also need you're guys input if I should switch to the MP3/MS Protege HL or stick with my existing P5 HL with the black bezel, if I were to switch over to the MP3 HL - would the mini's still be an okay fit or would it be to small for the housing and does the MP3 HL require extra wiring? Thank you guys again for your input.

No extra wiring is needed if you go with the MP3/MSP HL. Look up the different pics of using the P5 and MP3/MSP HL. You don't need the high beam slot since the minis are bi-xenons. I suppose you could wire it where you use the stock high beams of the P5 Hl with the bi-xenons for a even brighter light.

Fitment isn't an issue with either HL...just look at the first and second pic in bikingpro5's post (three posts up at #265). First one shows the retrofit with a P5 Hl and the second pic is with a MP3/MSP HL.

Last edited:
Depends on what you want to do. The Mini's are "bi-xenon", which are both low and high beam. You don't have to hook up the high beam, so if you don't want to, I would stick with the P5 lights. If you do want to took up with "high beam", then very minimal wiring needs to be done. This will leave a "dead bulb" in the P5 light, so if that would bother you, then go with the sedan lights.

I would go with both on the P5. More light is always better.

Also the MSP/MP3/Sedan Protege's turn off the low beam when the higbeam is turned on. I used to play with the Switch and keep both the filaments on from the bulb back whern I had my 01 LX 2.0. You would have to wire in a couple diodes from the high beam to keep your lowbeams on when you do a retro with the bi-xenon function.

Last edited:
Hello again guys....do you know where I can get a good quality brand new set of P5 black bezel HL's? Thanks again for any help.

I'm running the Depot brand off ebay... been for just over a year with no problems. They are still pricey though. You might just want to wait to pick up some used headlights in the FS section and paint them black.

Hi guys. It's been awhile since I last posted here. Just installed my Mini H1 from TRS and decided to get the Mini Graphite shroud with it. Now I have an issue which I'm partly to blame (I think). The Mini H1 came with centric rings which after checking TRS pdf files was installed correctly. After driving around last night for an hour, the shrouds came off but the centric rings were still on the projectors and were slightly melted or deformed from the heat of the bulb.

How do I fix this? Did I install the rings correctly or do I need not to install the rings for the shrouds? I plan to remove my HLs this afternoon so I can put everything back together the following morning.

Thanks again guys for any help you can give on short notice.

Hmmm melting. Have you contacted TRS to see if maybe this was a defect of some sort. They should not melt to my understanding. I am about to start my retro as well and will be using ES350's ( just like RX330's) and will be looking for shrouds to use. Possibly custom cutoff shields and will be purchasing some clear lens from TRS in the near future.

are you running 55watt ballasts or 35 watt?
the 55watt will melt it.
Did you use any type of glue to hold everything on?

are you running 55watt ballasts or 35 watt?
the 55watt will melt it.
Did you use any type of glue to hold everything on?

Currently have 35 watt H1 6000k bulbs when I bought the projectors from TRS. Previously had already 35w ballast from my orig HID H7 plug and play upgarde kit (RikenSport Brand). I used CA glue and placed drops on the centric ring and the shroud so it doesn't fall off from the vibration. I went back to the TRS website and checked the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors highlight page and had this statement :

"Bonus: when you order full size shrouds with your Mini's, you'll get our new shroud adapter rings for a easy clip-on mount. (note: these projectors come standard with Mini Graphite or Mini Gatling shrouds, which will screw on)"

Is that statement true? Did I not need the centric rings that came with the kit and should have just screwed it on the projectors with the long screws that were in the parts bag?

Any advice will be very helpful. Thank you guys in advance.

Back