How to replace a side mirror?

simonnyc

I came out to my car ('07 Mazda5 touring) over the weekend and found the right side mirror smashed up. I just reordered a replacement mirror off ebay but it didn't come with instructions. Has anybody here replaced their side mirrors before? if so, how was it? did you have to take the door apart or is it a pretty simple procedure. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

I've not replaced the one on the Mazda5, but have replaced them on my Honda Accord. Pop off the sail panel (I think that's what it's called) which is the triangular piece of plastic on the inside part of the door, opposite the mirror. When that's off you should see three bolts. Take them off and unplug the electrical connection and it's off.

The only catch is that if the plug for the electrical connection is inside the door panel, you'll have to remove the door panel.

Heat is totally correct. I just had to replace mine and as it was electrical had to take it to my mechanic. He did it for cheap, but I was still grumpy about not being able to do it myself. It would be possible if you have a fastener remover tool. There are 5 or 6 places where the door trim attaches to the door frame on the inside (i.e., not visible). The fastener remover tool is sort of like a two-pronged spatula that quickly and easily unfastens the plastic pieces. It's easy, but having the tool is key. Or at least seems to be - maybe someone knows of a work-around?

just an fyi...i ended up ordering this mirror from ebay. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

It was the entire assembly for the passenger side. replacing the mirror was a snap. easiest thing i ever did on my car i think (outside of changing the wiper blades).

The little tweeter speaker panel pretty much pops off to reveal 3 screws. Unscrewing these 3 screws will disconnect the entire side mirror assembly. Unplug the power cord for the mirrors, screw on the new mirror and plug the power back into the new mirror. Snap the tweeter panel back into place and you're done.

Hey Simon - same thing happened to me (also in NYC with a 07 Touring ;))

I have read various things about the electrical connectors being different for 2007 and 2008-2010 models which would indicate to me that a one single connection type on a mirror could not work for 2006-2010 (this was confirmed by someone I spoke to at a salvage yard, said an 09 mirror would mount but the electric would not work) - am looking at these listings on eBay and about to pull the trigger just wanted to double check with you that the listing you provided worked on your 2007 Mazda 5 (mount and electrical).

Back